Joe Montana: Cool Under Pressure

The first two episodes of NFL Films’ six-part Joe Montana: Cool Under Pressure will stream on Peacock on Thursday, January 6. New ones will bow weekly after that.

I remember Montana saying the during the Drive his heart was doing about 120 and he was shaking. Didn't show it though.
    A lot of great ski days at Tahoe during the Montana years during playoffs--before they figured out not to schedule playoffs while the lifts were running.

Hard to deliver when it comes down to the very end, with everything on the line. I think somebody may have been watching this doc this week. Somewhere Joe is smiling.

Forty years ago, almost to the day. NFC championship game, 49ers / Cowboys. The Catch. Four year old local kid in attendance with his Mom.

Name:  89B0998D-B9F6-48D1-A9E1-1245C114DED4.jpeg
Views: 554
Size:  82.1 KB

First episode goes from the beginning through college.

Second episode early years with the Niners, through that ‘81 season.

Good stuff.

He kicked SC's ass during the 70s.

Outstanding competitor.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

You have one drive to save your life, then pick him to play QB.

40 years ago tomorrow (Monday) - The Catch

They get into The Catch in quite a bit of detail in that second episode.

Here’s another classic Montana drive...

Jimmy G channeled his inner Joe today!

Someone saw this on FB and sent it to me...

Name:  Montana.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  82.5 KB

I'm not a Brady hater. Whatever else might be said, for him to have done what's he's done, and is still doing, very well, at his age, well, ya kinda got to give it up. Plus Montana was his idol.

Still, I kinda gotta agree with the ending sentiment.

But then being an old fuck I would. ;-)

Do you think if Montana went to 10 he never would have lost or thrown an interception?

Do you think it is harder or easier to win many Super Bowls in the free agency era?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lorne Michaels once said "everybody's favorite SNL cast is the one from when they were in high school". Think it's a similar kind of thing when it comes to who's the best in sports. Much less so now, but I was an active sports fan during Montana's run with the Niners in the 80's, (and Jordan in the 80's and 90's), so I'm psychologically and emotionally forever joined with those guys from that time, thus more than a little biased.

As to who's the GOAT, at this point the numbers are clearly on Brady's side when it comes to that discussion. Montana set a high bar, Brady remarkably continues in what should be his athletic dotage to set it even higher and higher.

Plus, he likes to ski.

Don’t need to diss one to praise the other.

One drive for a TD to save my life?

Gimme Montana at QB (dude could run, too. See 1984 Super Bowl.)

YMMV…

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post

Name:  Montana.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  82.5 KB
    Brady = Babe Ruth

His accomplishments dwarf Jordan's.

Montana was awesome. I look forward to watching this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Brady = Babe Ruth

His accomplishments dwarf Jordan's.
    Wait, what? Do you know who Jordan is?

Played for the White Sox, right? Pretty tall. The Babe definitely dwarfed him on stats, though.

why they have to compare the guy to basketball players?
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I’ve noticed a lot of basketball player hate the last couple weeks. Probably coincidence, but I don’t quite get it. Not looking to start a debate, but the idea that basketball players aren’t real athletes or whatever (compared to football or hockey, is what I’ve heard lately) is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    why they have to compare the guy to basketball players?
    Because that’s what comparisons are for. To draw a new conclusion or reframe something in terms that either provide new insight (or just food for thought) or provide understanding or a useful frame of reference to different audiences.
    focus.

Delete
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’ve noticed a lot of basketball player hate the last couple weeks. Probably coincidence, but I don’t quite get it. Not looking to start a debate, but the idea that basketball players aren’t real athletes or whatever (compared to football or hockey, is what I’ve heard lately) is absurd.

Because that’s what comparisons are for. To draw a new conclusion or reframe something in terms that either provide new insight (or just food for thought) or provide understanding or a useful frame of reference to different audiences.
    I get it but is never quite apt. Always seems forced and constrained.

I love Jordan and LeBron, don’t get me wrong. Holy shit, friggin Mike. Amazing!! It just seems fucking like lazy Scott Van Pelt bro brah listicle bullshit to me. Jordan? Bro!! LeBron? Braaah!!!

Hey guys! Yeah!? Did you like Mike? Yeah! Tell me you are 44 without telling me you’re 44.

Ty?
    Serena?
    Cy?
    Lindsey? Mikaela?
    Jack?
    George Herman?

I mean you can say he “=“ Jordan but don’t “=“ Babe? OK. Ty? Hank?

Maybe some non-team sports peeps there. And people don’t really give a crap about skiers. Especially kids balling it up on the playgrounds in Ohio or wherever.

Montana was the bane of my Broncos-fan childhood existence. Friggin AWESOME. Noteworthy is that there’s ten others dudes on his team on field at the same time. Often including GOAT WR Rice.

I mean, if you could say he was “=“ Jordan, then could you say he was “=“ Wayne? No. Nobody ever says that about anybody, not even Mike.

All that said, I get the dude’s point. I just think it woulda been sweet without those last two sentences and it ain’t because I don’t like basketball cuz I sure do.

Montana: badass.

And how come his last name gets to be Montana? I mean, even THAT isn’t fair.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I get it but is never quite apt. Always seems forced and constrained.

I love Jordan and LeBron, don’t get me wrong. Holy shit, friggin Mike. Amazing!! It just seems fucking like lazy Scott Van Pelt bro brah listicle bullshit to me. Jordan? Bro!! LeBron? Braaah!!!

Hey guys! Yeah!? Did you like Mike? Yeah! Tell me you are 44 without telling me you’re 44.

Ty?
    Serena?
    Cy?
    Lindsey? Mikaela?
    Jack?
    George Herman?

I mean you can say he “=“ Jordan but don’t “=“ Babe? OK. Ty? Hank?

Maybe some non-team sports peeps there. And people don’t really give a crap about skiers. Especially kids balling it up on the playgrounds in Ohio or wherever.

Montana was the bane of my Broncos-fan childhood existence. Friggin AWESOME. Noteworthy is that there’s ten others dudes on his team on field at the same time. Often including GOAT WR Rice.

I mean, if you could say he was “=“ Jordan, then could you say he was “=“ Wayne? No. Nobody ever says that about anybody, not even Mike.

All that said, I get the dude’s point. I just think it woulda been sweet without those last two sentences and it ain’t because I don’t like basketball cuz I sure do.

Montana: badass.

And how come his last name gets to be Montana? I mean, even THAT isn’t fair.

Except Jordan is the guy who executed every time and was a stone cold killer, even if he didn’t do it for 20 years, whereas Lebron wins some and loses some and sometimes disappears but has maintained a ridiculously high level for a really long time. If your point is that Brady < Montana because he lost super bowls and is routinely enmired in sophomoric bullshit even if his overall resume seems more compelling, the Lebron/Jordan comparison is pretty apt.

Also, we’re arguing about sports because we are privileged and bored.
    focus.

It’s interesting that Montana won with basically 3-4 different teams.

The 1981 team had a creaky Lenvil Elliot for RB, and Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon for receivers. It was a young and relatively inexperienced team. 3 rookie DBs, etc. Tom Landry said that Montana was all they had going for them after the Niners beat them in the NFC Championship game.

The 1984 team was one of two 18-1 teams that won the Super Bowl all-time. (Other was 1985 Bears.) The 1981 team matured. Still had Clark and Solomon. Montana more mature; rushed for about 55 yards in the Super Bowl. Total mismatch between Montana’s mastery of the offense and his throwing and running ability versus Miami D.

The 1988 team had a lot of new players that needed to mature over the year and were 10-6. Ultimately, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and Montana overcame mistakes and a 100+ yard Bengals kickoff return to beat Cincy in the SB. (BTW, Ronnie Lott basically ended Ickey Woods’ time as an intimidating runner by blowing him up in that game.)

The 1989 team was a continuation of the 1988 team and they destroyed everyone in the playoffs. Scored 55 on Denver’s number one defense (all-pro players in their prime like Karl Mecklenberg, Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith, etc.) Game over at half.

Was a great run. Too bad defensive players could crush QBs those days. Wish Montana could’ve played an extended prime, but his back was ruined.

Niner fans were lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Wait, what? Do you know who Jordan is?
    Yeah. He's a guy who sells a lot of sneakers and is in the conversation for best basketball player ever. Heck, I think he is the best, but it isn't obvious. Russell, Kareem and (maybe) Lebron can make strong cases too.

But Brady, like Ruth, has accomplished things far beyond everyone else in his sport. They are the two most anomalous players in all of team sports. Freaks.

Nike et al. have convinced us that Jordan is the benchmark for greatness. He has been surpassed. The new (old) guy sells Uggs instead of sneakers.

As long as Wayne surpasses conversation the rest are all competing for second as to the greatest player in team sports.