Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This is the existential crisis-provoking conclusion that I've reached as well. No self-interested entity fucks their shit into the ground this hard if they at all think there will be consequences to deal with tomorrow. Or if sustainability is at all a concern.

Maybe the fed prints money like there's no tomorrow because they're not too optimistic about there being a tomorrow.

Maybe carbon goals aren't being made a priority because the higher-ups know it's already too late to avoid our fate

Maybe we haven't detected extraterestrial life because intelligent life invariably evolves towards a capitalist clusterfuck which then universally suffocates under the weight of its own greed.

Maybe Vail is fucking everyone and running their shit into the ground because they know no one will be around to care about picking up the pieces.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mits-to-growth

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ans-180954423/

/Tinfoil hat.
    So funny. I remember doing a paper on Calhoun's study back in 5th or 6th grade and how it relates to the problems of big cities like New York and how increases in population could lead to more cities with similar problems of crime and a general decay in goodwill towards others. I think my teacher said I was making too many leaps in the correlations.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-08-2022 at 11:50 AM.

Vail fail aka stevens pass wtf?

A chairlift just fell off the kids chair at Wildcat. My friend was there with his kid and riding the lift. Didn’t seem like the guy on the chair did anything to cause it.

Another #vailfail

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How did Stevens do after the last storm? A Wenatchee friend posted on IG that Mission Ridge got everything open Thursday.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    How did Stevens do after the last storm? A Wenatchee friend posted on IG that Mission Ridge got everything open Thursday.
    Lifts, not all terrain. By 1 on Friday two lifts were closed due to high wind. Remember there’s only four lifts. Stevens has 10?

Stevens is barely getting 4 of 10 lifts open any given day

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    Stevens is barely getting 4 of 10 lifts open any given day
    I realize that but comparing Stevens to Mission is not equal

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I realize that but comparing Stevens to Mission is not equal

We’re playing with a different deck over here for sure. Point is that if Vail gave a fuck all 10 lifts would spin. They have the resources. Mission does more with less every day.

If the crew at Mission were running the show at Stevens I guarantee all lifts would be spinning as long as the margin of safety allowed (105mph gusts being outside the margin.) You might not be able to get a burger or a lesson though because that staff would be out there making them spin.

Vail has lost sight of their core consumers and that is their chief failure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

Vail is their chief failure.
    FIFY

Vail fail aka stevens pass wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    We’re playing with a different deck over here for sure. Point is that if Vail gave a fuck all 10 lifts would spin. They have the resources. Mission does more with less every day.

If the crew at Mission were running the show at Stevens I guarantee all lifts would be spinning as long as the margin of safety allowed (105mph gusts being outside the margin.) You might not be able to get a burger or a lesson though because that staff would be out there making them spin.

Vail has lost sight of their core consumers and that is their chief failure.
    I was commenting on Powdork comparing the two places. It’s apples to oranges. It would take a lot more work to get all Stevens lifts open after the storm Wednesday night than it would at Mission. None of the lifts are directly threatened by avalanches at Mission and you could open all the lifts and most of the lift served terrain with limited avalanche mitigation. There’s also the issue that almost no one could access Stevens on Thursday.

Yes, I know about Mission and their crew, I’ve skied a few days there. Vail in the equation is an entirely different matter, they don’t have the resources and it’s their fault.

Name:  safe_image.php.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  46.8 KB

Tom Pettigrew out, Tom Rogers in as interim GM.

The guy has his work cut out for himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Tom Pettigrew out, Tom Rogers in as interim GM.

The guy has his work cut out for himself!

Honest question, if answerable: Exactly what local control do GM's have over wages and ops? You'd think they get pretty specific marching orders from on high. If so, you can imagine a line of disposable 'GM' sacrifices to appease the pitchfork crowd, while business as usual carries on...

Honest question, if answerable: Exactly what local control do GM's have over wages and ops? You'd think they get pretty specific marching orders from on high. If so, you can imagine a line of disposable 'GM' sacrifices to appease the pitchfork crowd, while business as usual carries on...
    Yep more or less. Not answerable unless you're inside Vail. Tom Pettigrew was the fall guy and he had to know that they were woefully understaffed before the season started. Whether he is just a vail cuck or tried to get upper management to do something is something no one will ever know.

The advantage to this change for Vail is obvious. They got a fall guy and put an old "local" (I have no idea his local status as I'm not an old local by any means) in charge so they get good PR today. It's also better for us skiers in the short run as they can't just dump Tom Rogers immediately so he has more leeway to force Vail to open their wallet if he so chooses.

Yep more or less. Not answerable unless you're inside Vail. Tom Pettigrew was the fall guy and he had to know that they were woefully understaffed before the season started. Whether he is just a vail cuck or tried to get upper management to do something is something no one will ever know.

The advantage to this change for Vail is obvious. They got a fall guy and put an old "local" (I have no idea his local status as I'm not an old local by any means) in charge so they get good PR today. It's also better for us skiers in the short run as they can't just dump Tom Rogers immediately so he has more leeway to force Vail to open their wallet if he so chooses.

Luckily he's got about two weeks of crap skiing to hire and train a bunch of people.

This. And that picture he put up in the IG announcement is only mildly concerning. Iceman protoge?

In all seriousness I sure hope he is allowed to and can rescue that shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Tom Fortune was in ops for Harbor Resorts prior to them divesting ski properties. I'm pretty sure he was at Stevens for a while. Was also GM at Schweitzer for 10ish years, so I think he'll be a better fit.

I’ve heard rumblings of a way to get a refund on epic passes, but i cant find anything on the Vail site. Anyone have any leads?

Gravity always wins...

Wages aren’t the problem. Everyone is paid more than they were prior to Vail ownership. Replacing ski area management and support staff positions which Vail nixed is a problem. Adding employee housing is a problem.

There is no Stevens Pass HR to hire new people, or handle employee issues like sexual assault complaints

We did it
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’ve heard rumblings of a way to get a refund on epic passes, but i cant find anything on the Vail site. Anyone have any leads?

I haven't had any luck personally. They just keep routing me to some legal firms that want a shit ton of paperwork that is tangental to the question I am asking. Haven't progressed past that stage yet.

From the article:
    Pierini said the staff shortage at Stevens Pass caught the company by surprise. “We felt pretty good about how we were going into the season,” he said.
    I'm calling bullshit on that one. Pretty much everyone in the know before the season even started told me that they had around 20 lifties as opposed to the 90+ they typically had in the past.

I've also heard of a lot of people being ghosted by Stevens when applying for jobs. It seems like they have given up even trying to hire at this point.

Tom Fortune has not exactly been providing the “experience of a lifetime” the past several years on the south shore. Hope he works out for Washington crowd.

I have a feeling the problem is the corporation running the show, not who's in the GM position.