Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I agree with fastfred, they lost a lot of local knowledge and most decisions are made in Broomfield.
    Not fair that the fire the other day made it within a mile or so of the Vail HQ, that place needs to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the upper/middle on site management types in breck were fired years ago
    so take jimmy who has worked at the hill since he was in his mid twenties, worked his way up the ladder and is a manager over seeing snowmaking with 20 years experience, he used to lug guns around and work all night but now he's got a good salary year around job and lots of paper to push

shit hits the fan one day because equipment breaks, so jimmy comes out of his office with his twenty years of experience and starts problem solving with the team
    well jimmy was canned and you have a crew with 5 or so years experience, if that, they don't remember or know that there was an abandon power supply or water line that they can use to get things back up on line
    Exactly correct. And this is the kind of thing that you don't realize immediately. But pretty soon the problems start mounting and by then it's too late to fix it.

I would opine that NWers's are a little less likely to fiend loyalty to some corporation. This is a function of being more liberal, having a shorter history, and a number of other factors. As well, there were plenty of west siders who were part of the Stevens community.

Which brings me back to one of my original points, housing. The tight East Side of the pass community is being dismantled by housing costs in Leavenworth and surrounding areas. No different than every other mountain town. None of these megacorps have meaningfully tackled the housing issue. They ignore it and let if fall to the communities and individuals to deal with. This of course is biting them in the ass now. They have shirked any responsibility to their employees and the communities they profiteer in in their short-sighted lust for immediate profit. Even worse, they have leached onto the visa worker bandwagon, nothing more than a form of indentured servitude because these ski corps hold the visa for said employee. This leads to hollowed out theme towns, total lack of community, loss of ski culture, and their profits being sent straight to Wall Street.

In the case of a hell hole like Big Sky, you have run down hotels in West Yellowstone filled with kids on Visa's being bussed an hour where they are underpaid and treated like shit by employers and customers alike. The club was smacked with a class action lawsuit by just these employees.

These Megacorps are absolute garbage, bad for everyone but their shitty shareholders. In many places, the sold-out forest service is acting as handmaids to this shit show by leasing and trading our land to these amoral corporations. By giving these fuks our money we are all supporting this abomination. At the very least, pack your own lunch and don't buy their merch.

Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    I would opine that NWers's are a little less likely to fiend loyalty to some corporation. This is a function of being more liberal, having a shorter history, and a number of other factors. As well, there were plenty of west siders who were part of the Stevens community.

Which brings me back to one of my original points, housing. The tight East Side of the pass community is being dismantled by housing costs in Leavenworth and surrounding areas. No different than every other mountain town. None of these megacorps have meaningfully tackled the housing issue. They ignore it and let if fall to the communities and individuals to deal with. This of course is biting them in the ass now. They have shirked any responsibility to their employees and the communities they profiteer in in their short-sighted lust for immediate profit. Even worse, they have leached onto the visa worker bandwagon, nothing more than a form of indentured servitude because these ski corps hold the visa for said employee. This leads to hollowed out theme towns, total lack of community, loss of ski culture, and their profits being sent straight to Wall Street.

In the case of a hell hole like Big Sky, you have run down hotels in West Yellowstone filled with kids on Visa's being bussed an hour where they are underpaid and treated like shit by employers and customers alike. The club was smacked with a class action lawsuit by just these employees.

These Megacorps are absolute garbage, bad for everyone but their shitty shareholders. In many places, the sold-out forest service is acting as handmaids to this shit show by leasing and trading our land to these amoral corporations. By giving these fuks our money we are all supporting this abomination. At the very least, pack your own lunch and don't buy their merch.
    How long have you lived in the Wenatchee Valley?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vail fail aka stevens pass wtf?

Vail resort lifties don’t even get to take run breaks anymore? Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Vail resort lifties don’t even get to take run breaks anymore? Come on now.
    Ride breaks were about non-existent at Beaver Creek in the 90's. It was touted as a perk, but it was just skiing to your lift in the AM and skiing back to the time-clock after lifts closed.

I wasn't a lifty, but I skied the front side of Keystone after work one night in a pair of rental skis from lost and found and I was wearing leather work boots.
    We were allowed to ski on our lunch break, and the maintenance guys would sometimes haul us up to what is now the cat skiing terrain behind their snowmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Ride breaks were about non-existent at Beaver Creek in the 90's. It was touted as a perk, but it was just skiing to your lift in the AM and skiing back to the time-clock after lifts closed.
    Good lord how did they hire anyone? Telluride in 2010-11 gave you 1.5 standard or 2 hours if your boss hooked you up. I couldn't imagine doing that job without ski breaks.

I'm curious what Telluride's current policy is. I wonder if that went away.

That is so 5 years ago.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Markeyz View Post
    Grew up on this hill. Pretty sad.
    Same here. It Stunk ages ago.

About the time they started charging to park in A lot. The high speed quad on hogs also ruined that lift line run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    That is so 5 years ago.
    Yeah, I think they were Jamaicans, and I think they won their case?

I heard Blixseth is hitting the courts again?

I also heard the Gallatin is neon green all summer long from the illegal sewage Pig Stye dumps all over the place and is angling for dumping even more?

$250 day tickets, $30 upcharge for their shitty tram, Swifty works every third Wednesday and maybe friday morning if you are lucky. The bowl, the flat one, with the heated 6 seater has carnival like number of skiers gaping IKONicallly thru the scree fields.

another thousand trophy home approved in the new "Elk once lived here meadows" subdivision.

4 lane highway from the new airport in Ennis straight to the real estate office right thru Grizzly bear habitat.

Justin Timberlake got caught with Tom Brady getting stock tips from Bill Gates at the new wine bar.

Kim Kardashian bought the dirtbag of the year award and will be cutting the tram line next year.

Emergency services are parking 3 ambulances at both ends of the canyons on snow days to extract the casualties from the daily head ons from the bumper-to-bumper traffic jam.

The light is still flat, the skiing and skiers are not as good as at Bridger, all the snow blows away, JH kicks its ass, and two wilderness areas were disconnected. Catch me up on any other news from that shitty place, what I am missing? fuk Boyne, worse than Vail.

So what’s the best approach to getting an epic refund?

There were mentions of community and culture regarding Stevens Pass and that was how it used to be: https://vimeo.com/54914617?fbclid=Iw...D3Nk66ad7hFMjY
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Just to play devils advocate, lifty has always been the bottom of thebarrel. When I worked at ski areas I always did the rental shop deal because you got to stay inside where its warm and dry and you dont have to spend the whole day in ski boots, but more importantly, you got a 2-3 hour ride break every day. Even places where lifties get ride breaks, its like a half hour when they cycle between top and bottom stations. Theyd get 2-3 a day maybe, but each like 30 minutes so they could only do like a couple laps on the lift they worked at. As mean as it sounds, most lifties just seemed like they weren't smart enough to figure out that there are other jobs with better setups.

Not to say thats ok or they deserve it, just throwing out that lifties not getting ride breaks isn't exactly something super new.

When I worked at buttermilk it wasn't scheduled, but it was understood that most days I'd take 3-4+ hours to go to lap highlands bowl.

Snowbird was scheduled as 13 hour days at work with a garunteed 2+ ride break every day. When those 13 hour days also included hours spent just getting up and down the canyon, knowing for certain you get to ski every day was really the only thing that could make working a low paying job that dominated your entire waking life worth it. I cannot imagine spending those same days dealing with LCC traffic just to think, well I guess I'll get to ski on my days off, if I dont have errands to run or anything I need to do in town.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

$250 day tickets.
    WTF, I hope thats a joke, I'm too scared to google and find out if thats true. Sweet baby jesus.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

But stevens can’t open because what? Man I’ll Ill repeat it wtf sad.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    WTF, I hope thats a joke, I'm too scared to google and find out if thats true. Sweet baby jesus.
    On that one John C ( https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rchid=31196544 ) isn't far off. I believe top rack rate is 220/225 and the tram up charge is anywhere from 30-80 bucks. The rest of the story is pretty true as well. Best just stay away.

From the vault:

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    No Butt onion, I could care less, just saying better terrain breeds better riders and that Big Sky locals are pussies is all.

As for Boyne, i don't fucking know, you guys are all the cheerleaders for them so maybe you all can tell me what they are going to do aside from stick it deep in your asses, import some more cheap labor, pollute some more rivers, and rape some more wilderness areas.

Boyne coming for your soul

The thing with Pig Stye and their locs is that they suffer from a deep rooted inferiority complex, stuck between the more rootsy, better snow, and techier steep terrain of Bridger to the north, and the balls to walls Tetons to the south they are clearly the worst of the three. Egos bruised, feelings hurt, and balls all shriveled up, Pig Stye locs are the ones who can't find a job in Bozeman and are too stupid to go to Jackson. To top this all off, they are owned by a shitty corporation, sell outs; while Bridger is locally ran and Jackson is owned by a Wyomingite.... I mean fuck, even Targhee is cooler and that is just a bunch of granola crunching teli skiers.

As for me winning the headwaters runoff,,,, um isn't that the more retarded of the two comps? the one they do so a local rider can win a medal and be on a podium? Does the real comp hand out participation medals to you guys when you loose on your home terrain every year?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...+basin+montana
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-03-2022 at 08:20 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On that one John C ( https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rchid=31196544 ) isn't far off. I believe top rack rate is 220/225 and the tram up charge is anywhere from 30-80 bucks. The rest of the story is pretty true as well. Best just stay away.

From the vault:
    ha! that stuff is hilarious, thanks for sharing! Everybody knows all that shit. But stay on subject here. We are talking about how horrible Vail is and how they just are representative of how all the mega corps do business. Better yet, we are trying to figure out where to build our own double chair and not invite BOYNEites and VAILyans.

Ugghh, this week is gonna be even harder to see as the base is deep and solid, snow levels will be around a thousand feet and we'll have a few feet of that rare Cascade blower, so sad to see Stevens a husk of its former self and mostly closed for this La Nina season. And FYI, if you are a weather nerd, this guy is UW meteorologist and does great deep dive on WA's weather: Cliff Mass Weather Blog

Ugghh, this week is gonna be even harder to see as the base is deep and solid, snow levels will be around a thousand feet and we'll have a few feet of that rare Cascade blower, so sad to see Stevens a husk of its former self and mostly closed for this La Nina season. And FYI, if you are a weather nerd, this guy is UW meteorologist and does great deep dive on WA's weather: Cliff Mass Weather Blog
    Not sure why you care since by your own admission you haven't skied in years.

. And FYI, if you are a weather nerd, this guy is UW meteorologist and does great deep dive on Puget Sound weather: Cliff Mass Weather Blog

FIFY

From the vault:
    Although if you do have an IKON pass then Big Sky is the place to be. Your best bang for your buck on a powder day is to head straight for the Lone Tree chair, get 8 or 10 laps in there then head for the headwaters. This way no waiting and no lines. Lap that shit super hard, start close and work your way out. The locals can't hike there so it should be pretty mellow. Bounce over to Challenger to mix it up then a few of the longer headwaters laps. The tram is a joke, avoid it at all costs.

Know that if you go, you are deep behind enemy lines. Any and all forms of direct action, redistribution of wealth, and Hayduking are legit, where you draw that line is a personal and moral choice. You will be being watched. Even normal looking local type skiers are most likely double agents or spies for the wealthy elite. Best way to fit in is wear you cleanest clothes and act like a douche who is living at your parents second home for the winter. Selfie sticks and lots of stickers help to. Make every week freak week.

This is the corporate death star of skiing; may the force be with you.

Vail Resorts is pleased to announce that it's contagion has spread to three new resorts in Pennsylvania.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.