Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    slc tribs journalistic integrity and reputation
    aint what it used to be
    pcmr on the otherhand
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Going to be interesting to see how they clean this all up. Ain't going to happen this year, that's for sure.

Seen at CBMR today.

The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYcO5ufufrO/

pcpspa
    Negotiation update:
    We met with the company twice this week, with only one proposal from their side which did not raise base wages from $15.

Meanwhile, we have heard rumors of the company offering increased daily pay and travel expenses to other Vail resort patrollers to come work temporarily at Park City. We hope any patroller who receives such a message understands the fight we are taking on for our co-workers, families, and patrollers everywhere. Please help us by continuing your strong work at your home resorts.

As we continue to negotiate, we will update our community regarding next steps and due processes we must follow. To reiterate, we call on our fellow patrollers wherever they may be to stand in support of their patrol family and refuse offers that undermine the integrity of their cross.

*Update: as of this afternoon, we have been in direct communication with the company regarding this matter.*
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Seems like the more PCPSPA has in their fund the more seriously Vail is taking the situation. Currently almost to $75k.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how they clean this all up. Ain't going to happen this year, that's for sure.

Seen at CBMR today.

Even Vail can't stop CBSP from the best signs in skiing.

At what point does safety become a concern? If Vail can't pay their patrollers and staff a liveable wage, what other corners have been cut?

Chairs falling off cables, etc. Do you take extra precautions when skiing at a Vail resort?

Also, I skied at Deer Valley today and Alterra's product ain't much better. I was surprised how little was groomed (I was at DV after all) and I think all but one lift was running, there was a ton of closed runs that would normally be open this time of year. Some of the issue is these mega resorts heavily rely on J1 visas, which is just another way to keep wages low for their employees overall.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brutah; 01-10-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Not just Vail resorts or DV.

The area I regularly ski (Big Sky) is keeping lifts closed due to being short staffed in lift ops because of lack of desire or Covid and they were not able to hire/retain enough cat drivers to regularly groom all the terrain they have in the past.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Oh no! Fewer groomers?!

That’s just terrible. Whatever will we do?

I will pause to say, you're an idiot.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This is a good thread. Many of the issues are hardly unique to ski patrollers in mountain towns, although I've always thought that ski patrol was a highly underpaid job given all the other jobs in ski towns that pay as well if not better.

I can think of old timer patrollers who were somehow able to buy homes in CB in the 80's- homes that are now worth close to $2M. That isn't a bad retirement plan. I was trying to help a newer patroller buy a "capped" affordable housing condo this fall and she couldn't even do that, since she's a river guide in the summer and therefore can't qualify for affordable housing since that income is coming from out of the county. It's unquestionably tougher for the newer generation to gain a foothold. But that isn't just patrollers and it isn't even just ski towns.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    But that isn't just patrollers and it isn't even just ski towns.
    Yup, there is huge income inequality in our late stage capitalism.
    But what’s striking is that patrollers need to have high level of medical training, excellent decision making and even some level of customer service (even the crustiest patroller with the huge mustache and biting sense of humor knows that he can’t pop off at the customer). Many of them also have to know how to operate explosives. Its not exactly a dishwasher job (btw, dishwashers in many locales make more than $15 per hour that PCMR patrollers currently make).

With that list of job requirements, one would expect higher pay rate. Especially because they live in high priced towns.

“But you work in a beautiful setting” isn’t going to cut it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Oh no! Fewer groomers?!

That’s just terrible. Whatever will we do?
    I was just pointing out an overall trend of a diminished product/experience at all of the MEGA resort operations. AND yes, I go to ski resorts to ski groomers. Groomers are fun AF, sorry you're too hardcore to ski on piste.

Be it reduced grooming and lift ops staffs or patrol, a diminished product will likely make skiing in-bounds more dangerous. Part of the reason I believe that ski resorts should invest in their patrols, lift maintenance and grooming crews is that it creates institutional knowledge and experience which ultimately leads to safer and more enjoyable ski product.

Also quite a bit of grooming goes into getting the mountain open, not just making groomers. Fewer people grooming means later openings among other things
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

PCPSA voted to authorize a strike per their social media. Meeting with VR again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    PCPSA voted to authorize a strike per their social media. Meeting with VR again tonight.
    Link? thanks
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Everyone is pushing their chips to the center.

https://www.kpcw.org/featured/2022-0...horizes-strike

PCMR COO Mike Goar said in mid-December the $15 initial wage is the right offer. He touted the other compensation elements in Vail’s contract offers and said similar contracts were accepted “with enthusiasm” at other resorts.

Murphy said the 48 first-year PCMR patrollers are all earning less than the $15 minimum wage the resort pays the rest of its employees.

“So right now, all of our first-year patrollers on the mountain are making $13.25 an hour, which is well below that company minimum wage that has been implemented for all other employees,” he said.
    When I left the PCSP in 1990 I was making $ 8.75 an hour. Rookies were being hired in at $ 6.50.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-10-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Link? thanks
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/...i-patrol/?s=09

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    But what are the odds they're actually going to find enough scabs to fill those slots?
    How many have Avy mitigation experience? How many have blaster cards?.

Problem

One problem patrollers and instructors face (generally, not in necessarily in this instance) is the historic willingness of both young and older folks, as well as people from abroad, to work at these low wages because they are doing it on a temporary, 1-off, or for-fun basis. Patrollers and Instructors who are full time, doing it as their primary income, will always struggle to make a living when they are outnumbered by those doing it for those other reasons stated above. COVID has finally given the lifers leverage though, because the well is drying up for those other categories. Good for the lifers!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    But what are the odds they're actually going to find enough scabs to fill those slots?
    Doubtful.

But I'm certainly going to try and sign up for one of the scab jobs as someone with OEC, senior OET, and avy training. And then not show up of course.

Wow, this is quite the thread.

In '89 my friend Gavin had a Vail sucks sweatshirt he used to wear around the Village and here we are 32-3 years later and they actually suck way more now. Fuck Vail. Corporate cunts.

not sure if anyone sent this link yet; but seems like Vail's stock prices are shifting a bit due to all the stir on the social medias

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/wall-...esorts-issues/

I said it at the beginning of this thread, the way to get them to make changes is to hit them in the wallet, and if stocks go down shareholders are gunna want answers
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

I wonder what Vail is currently thinking about the PC/Canyons purchase. It is here maybe 5 years. During that time it has invested significantly to combine the two resorts (Gondola, Marketing, etc.) There have been enough accidents and deaths in the side-country for Vail to rethink the 9990 gates and eliminate them. Revenue has been marred somewhat by COVID. Canyons brought with it one of the only unionized ski patrols in the USA. That union has clout and is now fighting for an honest wage. Vail's desire to have the "largest ski area in the USA/NA" and the above setbacks have changed the Park City Ridgeline and the vibe of the town (to the disappointment of many). Surely, this has been a contributing factor in the stock's decline.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.51.23 PM.png
Views: 1352
Size:  31.3 KB
    I would love to see it spin -off The Can. to a company that would re-open the 9990 gates, pay its patrol a living wage, stop placing those hideous avi. fences up where they are not needed, and have hippy concerts in the forum every week.
    I know, I'm high, but it is fun to dream

Park Record article updated today:
    https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park...-unsuccessful/
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 01-11-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Doubtful.

But I'm certainly going to try and sign up for one of the scab jobs as someone with OEC, senior OET, and avy training. And then not show up of course.
    Patrollers of TGR: this is the way.

So does anyone with any inside sources know what the chance of them striking is (I assume high) and when that would be?