Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    ^shit that was a clever play. Why didn't I think of that

^^^ room temp IQ?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Perhaps even lower

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Perhaps even lower
    We're all mountain people, no?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Down over 5% today. ~17% since start of actual skiing, I might not have been aggressive enough on my $MTN shorts.
    Haha, that's awesome. I usually think shorting is kind of a shitty practice but when you despise the company it's win win.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Have you notified Vail that you want to disengage the "auto renew" option of your epic pass?
    https://www.parkrecord.com/news/as-v...el-auto-renew/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Bump

So how long has the union locked the PC patrol in at 17$ when Vail is now paying trollers 22?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

( ho ho.

I'm pretty-sure the 17. patrollers now get 20. )

( skiJ )

$20/hr does not get you jack to be a stable member in this valley or really, any, valley west of Iowa. Let ski Vail Mgmt clowns live the dream for winter at $20/hr. Downvalley. Like this, love this, come back next year and get hosed by H1B visas on a lower hourly rate and subsidized housing. Thank you Bonus and stock option clowns in Vail Resorts. This is so upside down stealing from the C-Office - CEO,CIO,CIO, et..... and board members.
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1

Starting wage at Fail is now 20.
    Lifties 21.
    Patrol 22.
    The PC union has them locked in at 17.
    For how long, anyone know?

Unions and ski patrolling = no bueno.

Vuck Fail.

This 25% wage increase is gonna end up with Fail owning and mismanaging many more ski areas...

I assumed that if Vail was paying non-union employees more than union employees it would be a violation of fair labor laws (could be viewed as punishment for unionization). But I asked my family member, who is an experienced labor arbitrator, and she said that she wasn't 100% positive but thought that Vail could get away with this, if they so chose.

I was curious if Vail really would try something like this so I messaged the Park City Patrol and got this response:

"we are included in the base wage increase to $21. We have language in our contract that makes sure we are included in all base wage increases in the future."

Emailed Park City and they confirmed the same thing:

"We are thrilled to be able to offer a substantial increase to all our employees, including ski patrol as provided for in our newly negotiated contract. Entry-level patrollers will start at $21/hour and all returning hourly employees will also receive an increase in hourly wage. All unionized employees will receive the new wages.

LYNNE OFFRET
    Director Ski Patrol"

So looks like Vail had no option but to pay the unionized Park City Patrol the same wage as Vail's non-union patrol (not that they would ever think of doing otherwise .)

Sheepishly, thanks. Happy for them...

LYNNE OFFRET
    Director Ski Patrol"
    That is a name I have not heard in quite some time. I had no idea she was the grand Poohbah, congrats Lynne, you earned it.

@TFW.... got your PM about a week late.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Unions and ski patrolling = no bueno.
    Think you might revisit that opinion?

Vuck Fail.
    This one seems legit tho.

I thought Vail would likely jack up the prices for next year, but they didn't go up that much at all. I bet they sell just as many passes as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I thought Vail would likely jack up the prices for next year, but they didn't go up that much at all. I bet they sell just as many passes as last year.
    I don't think so. Lots of jaded pass holders from this year who vowed to not buy next years Epic pass and the novelty of the cheap pass has warn off. I'd bet they are down 10-15% but that's purely a speculative guess.

You have to consider the many many passholders that are locked into RE ownership at Vail mountains. Multi generational momentum, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    I don't think so. Lots of jaded pass holders from this year who vowed to not buy next years Epic pass and the novelty of the cheap pass has warn off. I'd bet they are down 10-15% but that's purely a speculative guess.
    People have very short memories.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    People have very short memories.
    Know how I know people are stubborn as shit?

Passes have already been paid for. They ALL know Breck is going to be a shitshow on a spring weekend, yet they keep showing up anyways in a line to wait for the bus, to wait for the gondola, to wait in liftlines all day.

Just opted out of auto renewal on 4 passes.....~$3k. Will not be getting EPIC passes for the family in 22/23.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You have to consider the many many passholders that are locked into RE ownership at Vail mountains. Multi generational momentum, too.
    This is true. I know people who don’t care about VR’s douchebaggery or how it treats the chair bumping peasants. Their parents bought condos at vail or beaver back in the day, and now a ski weekend is also a trip to grandma’s.

Big Sky/Boyne bumped up gold season passes by $400. Insiders I know at the mountain had been saying it was only going to be $100 increase but the suits in Michigan forced the huge increase at the last minute. Probably because they (and all ski areas) know they will have to match Vail's minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Big Sky/Boyne bumped up gold season passes by $400. Insiders I know at the mountain had been saying it was only going to be $100 increase but the suits in Michigan forced the huge increase at the last minute. Probably because they (and all ski areas) know they will have to match Vail's minimum wage.
    Suit in MI? Is that Stephen K?

Gold passes won't really make up for the Min wage increase will they? Big Sky employs about 1500 seasonal employees at maybe 14 bucks an hour average (that sounds high to me).

Say that are there for 5 months at 4.3 weeks per month that's 18 million in labor VS 25 million in labor at 20 bucks an hour. Maybe they sell 2000 gold passes so they skim an additional 800K?

Not really a factor even with increased parking revenue if it comes to fruition.

So it goes.

I think the goal of reducing gold pass holders to the rich and infamous is more the play.

Probably right. They want to find the threshold where the hardcore tram lappers won't pay anymore. And between new lifts/tram and all the employee housing, nobody can deny they are investing a shitload of money into the mountain.

Now all they need is snow.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Probably right. They want to find the threshold where the hardcore tram lappers won't pay anymore. And between new lifts/tram and all the employee housing, nobody can deny they are investing a shitload of money into the mountain.

Now all they need is snow.
    Snow, right? They offload the SNOW RISK to you, the passholder, not them.

What could possibly goes sideways for THEM.

Your Pass Price then includes an assumed implicit cost of Risk. Are you aware of that? The VR Insurance has run the numbers. No pass buyer likely, has not.
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1