Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I can only think of a few professions where the workers are more disillusioned than ski patrol from an economic perspective.

Ah, to wake up to sparkling crystals of pure blower. Running lines and bombing with the crew. Last one off the mountain. Living the fucking dream.

Most low wage slaves actually know they are getting fucked and have no choice. But patrol just bends right over and takes the kool aid enema.

Maybe liftie? Panhandler?

And if you say, STFU, it's not about the money, well this thread is about the money.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Mad props to TFW for raising two incredibly talented and inspirational kids, they are both awesome people. You done good.
    TFW is an allright guy too
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Cheers TFW �� appreciate your insights here. It’s the best job in the world if you can learn to wake up every morning and be thankful for it. Good to know there are others here with the same appreciation. Maybe someday we can drink whiskey and talk about the glory days. I’ve had a few too so I’m gonna log off for the night.
    The glory days. Yay. Make America great again you fucktards.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I can only think of a few professions where the workers are more disillusioned than ski patrol from an economic perspective.

Ah, to wake up to sparkling crystals of pure blower. Running lines and bombing with the crew. Last one off the mountain. Living the fucking dream.

Maybe liftie? Panhandler?
    You're human excrement. Calling patrollers panhandlers for wanting to be able to afford to live where they work. What a piece of shit sandwich you are.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Lol. What is gods name gives you the idea that Fail Resorts gives two wet fucks about opening expert terrain, hike-to terrain, or anything steep on storm days at a resort known (only locally) for damp, dank snowboarders?

theyll just give a couple guys some charges and tell them to blow the fuck out of anything that could slide onto the groomers. And if there is ANY question about stability, they will simply not open that terrain or lift. Just have two competent pro-patrol, and a bunch of gaping pugetopolis volly patrol (made up of Drs, nurses, emts) to man the groomers. They have already proven they find it acceptable to not open terrain, and understaff the mountain.

The folks that rip and hike, and slay steep, deep gnar in bounds arent the ones renting skis, and buying lunch for the whole family so why would Fail Resorts care about catering to them? They want the amazon/google/microsoft gaper family money, and with Epic passes so damn cheap compared to day tickets, folks will keep buying. Not the "core" crowd, but i bet the folks who ski 3 weekends a year with one of them at a Fail Resort destination resort will still make the purchase....
    There's WAC's and RCW's that cover AC work, you just can't let anybody do it
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hey, I'm not trying to tar and feather you or your lifestyle.
    Sounds like it was awesome.
    But can people really do that now? Can people even buy a functional car that could make it up the canyon for less than $4k?

I think the Stevens Pass patrol is being paid $14/hr. Non one can live on that around the Puget Sound, including Leavenworth or Wenatchee.

So, sorry if it came off as a personal attack, didn't mean it that way.

Lots of shit has become unaffordable. I worked through college. Dealt acid up LCC circa 1975 to pay for the life. That's just not possible now.
    Thanks, man.
    I don't have the answers for the future.
    Just know that a union and ski patrolling don't mix.
    Cause it ain't about the money.
    It's about the lifestyle.
    Being at the right ski area is paramount.
    Not trying to be the guy who dies with the most money.
    Am trying to be the guy who dies having experienced the most joy.
    Shit, coulda died years ago and met that goal.
    A ski patrol lifestyle helps meet that goal.
    Period.
    (3 beers in).
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You're human excrement. Calling patrollers panhandlers for wanting to be able to afford to live where they work. What a piece of shit sandwich you are.
    I think you could use a little nuance in your reading comprehension. Can I interest you in the freedoms provided by panhandling?

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Thanks, man.
    I don't either, but I'd be open to any solution.

I get it about unions when they're dysfunctional, entrenched institutions. They don't have to be like that though.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Thanks, man.
    I just know that a union and ski patrolling don't mix.
    Cause it ain't about the money.
    It is about the lifestyle.
    And being at the right ski area is paramount.
    I'm not trying to be the guy who dies with the most money.
    I'm trying to be the guy who dies having experienced the most joy.
    Shit, I coulda died years ago and met that goal.
    The ski patrol lifestyle can meet that goal.
    Period.
    End of discussion.
    (3 beers in).
    I'm sorry I guess the new generation just didn't realize they were chasing their dreams and not yours.

Being snide won't further anything.

We've got some serious problems in this country and all the variations of insults aren't going to help.

So, remember, we're pulling for you.
    We're all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think you could use a little nuance in your reading comprehension. Can I interest you in the freedoms provided by panhandling?
    The freedom to stand in front of a Safeway in a storm begging for money so you can eat?

Looks like the non-union patrol at the Mothership are at least going to get a raise:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/day-o...vail-mountain/

From a recent survey of holiday lodging bookings:

Tom Foley, senior vice president of business process and analytics for Inntopia, said that across the 290 properties surveyed by DestiMetrics, the average daily rate for all of December was roughly $640 for all surveyed properties.

So, remember, we're pulling for you.
    We're all in this together.
    We are NOT all in this together. There are clearly people here rooting against the patrollers because it's not the way they did it back in the day. was there an Epic Pass back in the day? An Ikon pass? Things change. As mentioned in the first post, at the end of January 2021, Vail resorts was sitting on 4 billion in cash. FUCK THEM for fucking them.

We are NOT all in this together.
    Oh, yes we are. That doesn't mean everyone knows it.
    There are clearly people here rooting against the patrollers because it's not the way they did it back in the day. was there an Epic Pass back in the day? An Ikon pass? Things change. As mentioned in the first post, at the end of January 2021, Vail resorts was sitting on 4 billion in cash. FUCK THEM for fucking them.
    Like I said, we're all in this together.

I don't think one can acknowledge the problem with the executive fuckovers everyone is getting and ignore the corruption in unions. We have to understand both.

The best part of it all is that Fkn' Vail thought they could bring in some B team scabs from Park City or wherever and throw them into the fire. That first route on Cowboy ridge with 3 feet of new, 5 inches of water must have humbled em' real good. Hundreds of years of experience gone. Vail can replace their middle management or their fry cooks at will, but exposed hanging snowfield avy control is another story.

They can't open cuz they can't do the control work.

I think the Stevens Pass patrol is being paid $14/hr. Non one can live on that around the Puget Sound, including Leavenworth or Wenatchee.
    That's fucking insane (just a smidge over the state minimum wage). It's 45/50 miles to the closest grocery store from Stevens Pass; i.e. the closest realistic place to live. Using IRS reimbursement rates, patrol is blowing $58 a day just getting to their job every day (or 4 hours of their daily wage). What other job on earth has to spend nearly 50% of what they make in take home pay just getting to work? And this is a place where pimply faced 21 year old tech workers are starting out at 200k a year.

Oh, yes we are. That doesn't mean everyone knows it.

Like I said, we're all in this together.

I don't think one can acknowledge the problem with the executive fuckovers everyone is getting and ignore the corruption in unions. We have to understand both.
    Do you think TFW is approaching this from a union perspective? No. It's straight up nostalgia. He thinks people should be motivated by the same thing he was motivated by. He wrote it down and pressed reply. I guarantee you they are motivated by those things, but it's not enough to survive in today's economic climate.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    That's fucking insane (just a smidge over the state minimum wage). It's 45/50 miles to the closest grocery store from Stevens Pass; i.e. the closest realistic place to live. .
    You're wrong again. It's 35 miles to Leavenworth.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stev...47.5962326!3e0

I'm sure your heart is in the right place though.

Do you think TFW is approaching this from a union perspective? No. It's straight up nostalgia. He thinks people should be motivated by the same thing he was motivated by. He wrote it down and pressed reply. I guarantee you they are motivated by those things, but it's not enough to survive in today's economic climate.
    Obviously not.
    I think they are motivated by similar things, but the buckscape, like you say, has changed in a big way.

So we agree on that.

The problem is how many unions are wads of vampiric pyrosis. They don't have to be, but lots are..

Anyway, I read it as TFW understands the problem, but dismisses the established unions as a solution. Collective bargaining needn't be saddled with Rudy:

I don't know what it's like now, but a year ago I was looking to move from Tahoe because it has become what I would call an unrealistic place to live (my place sold, there were NO other places appearing. I looked at Leavenworth and there was also zero availability.

I just hope ski patrollers don't have to pay for their gear at least. That's a fairly big expense for someone making 15 bucks an hour and has to drive 30 to 45 minutes each way for work where they risk their lives doing that job.

A lot of patrollers I've known over the years have family money and weren't concerned with things the way people like myself are. It does seem like a fun job for that sort of person.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Ok, $40 a day just getting to work. And you have to shop at a Safeway that is perpetually a clusterfuck.

You obviously are not a ski patrolman.
    So I'll spell it out for you.
    Shut The Fuck Up.
    And go to bed.
    You have no idea of what you speak.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stev...47.5962326!3e0

I'm sure your heart is in the right place though.
    Tumwater Canyon is where people go to die in head ons, it is well over an hour from either way.

Anyway, I read it as TFW understands the problem, but dismisses the established unions as a solution.
    The thing is, coming from Tahoe I don't give TFW the god status you folks do. He's someone with an absolute shitton of avalanche knowledge that means fuckall in this situation. The folks fighting Vail are saying this is what we need right now and as someone that hates Vail and everything they stand for I am with them.