Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fuck Vail! Here's how.

When the patrol can afford to strike they have WAY more leverage against the assholes in Broomfield. The Park City patrol is at that point. If they strike Park City may have to close (which could suck for locals) but in the end it will benefit everyone. As of 1/31/21, SNOW had 3.9 billion in Cash and Cash Equivalents on their balance sheet. Fuck those greedy corporate clowns.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pcpspa-so...ty-fund/donate
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Fuck Vail! Here's how.

Who is Brian Spieker ?

It says all of the money goes to him. It never says anything about Park City or Ski Patrol getting the money, just some dude named Brian Spieker.

But if legit, I agree, fuck Vail.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Who is Brian Spieker ?

It says all of the money goes to him. It never says anything about Park City or Ski Patrol getting the money, just some dude named Brian Spieker.

But if legit, I agree, fuck Vail.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Brian Spieker is the president of PCSP it looks like (https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summ...-negotiations/). The union's Instagram account shared the gofundme earlier, as did Stevens Pass Ski Patrol Union's account.

Donated!

A bit of explanation on the gofundme page wouldn't hurt.

My bad. I linked to the donate page instead of the main page that fully explains
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/pcpspa-solidarity-fund

Here is a link to the general page for info rather than straight to the donate section.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pcpspa-solidarity-fund

Pretty hard to find scabs to ski and drop bombs. I don't see why they don't just leverage the fuck out of Vail.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That's what they're doing. Having the ability to strike without becoming homeless is what will give them the leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's what they're doing. Having the ability to strike without becoming homeless is what will give them the leverage.
    The irony is that there are probably tons of jobs in the current patrol paygrade waiting to be filled.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

How did things work out for those patrollers at that place in Canada we're not supposed to talk about?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fuck Vail! Here's how.

If the CWA actually cared about ski patrollers or the PSCSPA they are more than able to fund this tirade themselves.

…and how is 100K going to cover their ongoing legal costs and lost wages/expenses for 500 or whatever ski patrollers across the country?

These people are liars and professional manipulators.

This is a scam.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Scam?? What kind of scam? Perhaps you'd like to explain a little more instead of tossing that in there as if you know.

Fuck Vail! Here's how.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Scam?? What kind of scam? Perhaps you'd like to explain a little more instead of tossing that in there as if you know.
    I’ve been researching this garbage union for over a year since they manipulated their way into my patrol. I could literally write a book about my experience with them but it causes me too much stress so I’m going to leave it at that. DYOR.

This doesn’t have anything to do with skiing or ski patrols or wages or “having a seat at the table”.

Dig deep enough and you’ll learn that the CWA is nothing more than another giant parasitic mega corporation that is taking advantage of the National Labor Relations Act and a vulnerable industry for no other reason than to make money.

Last edited by regct; 12-29-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Just quit. Plenty of other jobs which will pay more in the vicinity. If Vail is willing to make the concessions to hire them back, great, if not move on. This would also be a forcing function on Vail to evaluate how much HR it actually needs to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Just quit. Plenty of other jobs which will pay more in the vicinity. If Vail is willing to make the concessions to hire them back, great, if not move on. This would also be a forcing function on Vail to evaluate how much HR it actually needs to operate.
    Not sure if that was directed at me, and I didn’t work for Vail but I did quit. Difficult transition but extremely positive change on the horizon. I would encourage anyone unhappy with their working conditions to move on. Certainly healthier than driving the ship into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Not sure if that was directed at me, and I didn’t work for Vail but I did quit. Difficult transition but extremely positive change on the horizon. I would encourage anyone unhappy with their working conditions to move on. Certainly healthier than driving the ship into the ground.

It wasn’t. It was aimed at the idea of a go fund me to cover the living expenses of folks on strike in a time when there is a worker shortage.

The summation made over the ability of the CWA to represent ski patrols above is 100% on target.

They talk a good game and then crickets.

@ Regct, did BSSP ever get a signed contract?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Isn't the best way to screw a company is not to buy their product or services?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    The summation made over the ability of the CWA to represent ski patrols above is 100% on target.

They talk a good game and then crickets.

@ Regct, did BSSP ever get a signed contract?
    No contract that I’m aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Isn't the best way to screw a company is not to buy their product or services?
    Late-stage capitalism would have you believe this is the only way to influence a company, by making an individual decision about where to spend your money. Your money still gets spent. Do you have another satisfactory way to spend your money that will get you what you want? You probably have very few choices at this point, and your money probably still goes to a company that is maybe a little less shitty than Vail.

There can be a lot more power in movements.

Maybe someone can educate me: How is it that ski patrol isn't fully in charge of this situation? As mentioned above, we have a labor shortage right now, and it's not like Vail could hire scabs to patrol anyway. If they couldn't open a top-tier mountain for a couple big weekends, it seems like it would get their attention quick. Is patrol not organized enough? I'm almost totally ignorant of the dynamics at work.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

My understanding is that Boyne came out with a pay scale that shut that discussion down. For now.

Maybe someone can educate me: How is it that ski patrol isn't fully in charge of this situation? As mentioned above, we have a labor shortage right now, and it's not like Vail could hire scabs to patrol anyway. If they couldn't open a top-tier mountain for a couple big weekends, it seems like it would get their attention quick. Is patrol not organized enough? I'm almost totally ignorant of the dynamics at work.
    They missed their 1st Ace by not walking out en masse on Friday the 24th. It would take about 40% of the patrol staff standing together and there is a tremendous amount of short term risk involved to those willing to do so.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I’ve been researching this garbage union for over a year since they manipulated their way into my patrol. I could literally write a book about my experience with them but it causes me too much stress so I’m going to leave it at that. DYOR.

This doesn’t have anything to do with skiing or ski patrols or wages or “having a seat at the table”.

Dig deep enough and you’ll learn that the CWA is nothing more than another giant parasitic mega corporation that is taking advantage of the National Labor Relations Act and a vulnerable industry for no other reason than to make money.

gotcha. so not a scam as far as someone is just taking the money to go heliskiing, which is what I thought you were saying.

It’s not as simple as just “going on strike”. There are several different types of conditions that need to be met before the labor group can lawfully strike, if those conditions aren’t met and the labor group still attempts to strike then they aren’t protected and could plausibly not be eligible for rehire after the strike. Ie the difference between a lawful and unlawful strike. Among many other conditions for a strike there would need to be a proven impasse in contract negotiations, the employer has to be proven legally to not be negotiating in good faith, among other things. Or vice versa to force a lockout. There are also provisions regarding health providers and I’m not sure if ski patrol falls under that but if that were the case then they need to provide a ten day notice to strike. Additionally, any effort to strike needs to be voted on beforehand by the labor group.

Is PC able to get enough patrollers at $17.50 / hr. If not you may have something there....if so and easily replaceable there could be some problems.

It’s not as simple as just “going on strike”.
    ^^^ Pretty easy to get sick.