Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    you can make enough to afford a Volvo

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Getting paid to ski
    Patrol
    Instructor
    Few athletes in a few disciplines
    Getting gear is spancered, not pro.
    Not how much (cuz Jah knows patrol is underpaid but the most pro on the mountain)

As far is I saw (mid 2000/10s) in order to get into a major seasonal film, your equipment sponsors negotiate your entry fee. You could have phenomenal talent but it's usually the call of the marketing margineers. In my opinion, a lot of the social ski personalities who only find exposure on small screens are not pros; they generally have marginal talent, but can tell inspiring stories to the window licking, destination types. Influence is the ROI not necessarily talent in most cases anymore.

Pro skier definition

I’ve been in the mtn biking, road biking, cross biking, skiing, rock climbing, swimming, and mountaineering worlds for a long time, and have friends ranging from making their living in those worlds to flat out pros. To me, the definitions are the same for all of the sports.

If you work training, coaching, teaching, running etc any of those sports, you are a professional “job description.” Not a professional athlete. Which is fine and awesome, but you are a pro instructor, coach, instructor, etc, not a pro athlete.

If you get free gear for participating in a sport, then you are sponsored athlete, not a professional athlete. I’ve gotten many thousands worth of free gear for being an athlete, but I was never a pro athlete. I was simply sponsored. My wife has similarly gotten both gear and money for riding for photo shoots. She was either a sponsored athlete or a pro model of some kind depending on how you look at it, not a pro athlete.

If you are getting paid in some way and therefore making part of your living from being an athlete, you are a pro. That’s the definition. Selling free gear you got does not count.

It’s a pretty clear line with one exception: if someone is paying a large sum of money to have you participate in your sport somewhere (flying you to Belgium to ride cyclocross worlds, getting you to ski in Alaska on film, etc) then you could make a case for being a pro due to the money involved even though it isn’t going to you.

well my wife is a pro model citizen

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’ve been in the mtn biking, road biking, cross biking, skiing, rock climbing, swimming, and mountaineering worlds for a long time, and have friends ranging from making their living in those worlds to flat out pros. To me, the definitions are the same for all of the sports.

If you work training, coaching, teaching, running etc any of those sports, you are a professional “job description.” Not a professional athlete. Which is fine and awesome, but you are a pro instructor, coach, instructor, etc, not a pro athlete.

If you get free gear for participating in a sport, then you are sponsored athlete, not a professional athlete. I’ve gotten many thousands worth of free gear for being an athlete, but I was never a pro athlete. I was simply sponsored. My wife has similarly gotten both gear and money for riding for photo shoots. She was either a sponsored athlete or a pro model of some kind depending on how you look at it, not a pro athlete.

If you are getting paid in some way and therefore making part of your living from being an athlete, you are a pro. That’s the definition. Selling free gear you got does not count.

It’s a pretty clear line with one exception: if someone is paying a large sum of money to have you participate in your sport somewhere (flying you to Belgium to ride cyclocross worlds, getting you to ski in Alaska on film, etc) then you could make a case for being a pro due to the money involved even though it isn’t going to you.
    The question was not what a pro athlete is, but what a pro skier is. You are missing the distinction.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    So what is Cody now?

Pro skier?
    Pro influencer?
    Pro movie maker?
    Pro sock pimp?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sufferer/stripper.

Case solved.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Do pro skiers have a 401k? What the hell do they do after 30 when it’s on to the next?
    Go on a soul searching trip on the high seas and post on instagram about it? Oh wait... only the rich can do that.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    well my wife is a pro model citizen
    Dang, I should have gotten the pro model

So reading all this, I have to conclude that this Quackenbush chick is full of shit calling herself a pro skier.

I recall sometime in the early 80's there was a pro ski tour that swung by various hills including my local bump. It was a dual format with a couple jumps. I think all you needed was a speedsuit and some skis. I recall seeing guys pull up in pickups and box vans which they obviously slept in and then hit the hill for the race. I'd consider them pro skiers even so I'm pretty sure none of these guys were making bank, so I'm not sure fully supporting oneself is a necessary criteria for being a pro skier.

A corollary might be baseball. I played with guys who just couldn't give up on the dream and went to play in one of the independent pro leagues like the Pecos League for a year or two. They made ~$300/week, rode buses and ate cheap food for 6 months straight. They taught hitting and shit to 10 yr old's in the winter to make enough to survive the summer of $300/week. I would consider them professionals along with those skiers on the pro tour.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

All of this talk means nothing because I can't believe you're a pro, I'm so much better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So reading all this, I have to conclude that this Quackenbush chick is full of shit calling herself a pro skier.

I recall sometime in the early 80's there was a pro ski tour that swung by various hills including my local bump. It was a dual format with a couple jumps. I think all you needed was a speedsuit and some skis. I recall seeing guys pull up in pickups and box vans which they obviously slept in and then hit the hill for the race. I'd consider them pro skiers even so I'm pretty sure none of these guys were making bank, so I'm not sure fully supporting oneself is a necessary criteria for being a pro skier.

A corollary might be baseball. I played with guys who just couldn't give up on the dream and went to play in one of the independent pro leagues like the Pecos League for a year or two. They made ~$300/week, rode buses and ate cheap food for 6 months straight. They taught hitting and shit to 10 yr old's in the winter to make enough to survive the summer of $300/week. I would consider them professionals along with those skiers on the pro tour.
    Teaching 10 year olds how to shit == living the dream.

getting some free gear does not a pro make I think you gotta be cashing pay checks and paying tax or at least were suposed to have paid tax on the money

And a pro patroler is someone who works on skis not necessarily a pro skier, alot of the time they don't even get to use ski poles

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

If you work training, coaching, teaching, running etc any of those sports, you are a professional “job description.” Not a professional athlete. Which is fine and awesome, but you are a pro instructor, coach, instructor, etc, not a pro athlete. .
    the golf pro, the tennis pro.
    these are professional Golfers & Tennis players.
    they likely dont compete anymore but are pros.
    Feel the same for instructors & Patrol.
    ski pros

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    the golf pro, the tennis pro.
    these are professional Golfers & Tennis players.
    they likely dont compete anymore but are pros.
    Feel the same for instructors & Patrol.
    ski pros
    Yeah but, a golf pro has to prove his proficiency by shooting a 74 or 72... something like that amongst other things. A ski instructor fills out an application at the local hill and gets hired. Patrol has to have some life saving training and avi training inda west. They need to be competent skiers. Patrol are pros all the way. Instructor's...meh, some high level sure.

Anybody who is better than me is a pro, anyone who is worse than me is a jerry.

Those was an episode of Freakonomics that used those guys as an example of the sunk cost fallacy and why it's important to know when to quit.

what do you call a new snowboarder after a week ... the instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah but, a golf pro has to prove his proficiency by shooting a 74 or 72... something like that amongst other things. A ski instructor fills out an application at the local hill and gets hired. Patrol has to have some life saving training and avi training inda west. They need to be competent skiers. Patrol are pros all the way. Instructor's...meh, some high level sure.
    I’m not sure what to classify patrol as. Those folks risk their lives so I can have fun without risk. They keep people safe daily and suffer while doing it. That puts them way above a pro skier in my opinion.

What is the minimum litmus test for labeling oneself a professional skier?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Those was an episode of Freakonomics that used those guys as an example of the sunk cost fallacy and why it's important to know when to quit.
    My neighbor was one* a minor league dreamer it sounded shitty as all get out, his dad was a session musician early on in life. There’s lots of similarities between music and pro sports where participants get great joy from performing at a high level, and that high level is now only available to “pros”, but there isn’t much money to be made for many “pros”.

*and the friend he used to have over to nail girls before the parents got home actually made it to mlb as a starting pitcher, including opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Nice cameo by Earth Storm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I can’t believe those are Pro Skiers. I’m way better than all of them.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

You should definitely get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I can’t believe those are Pro Skiers. I’m way better than all of them.
    Can you keep up with Benny?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang