Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I deleted the "there's zero question it wasn't staged" comment, but now that it's quoted, I'll flesh it out.

-The "I always wear a parachute" statement is laughable. I always drive my car with a full face helmet and a formula one fireproof suit. Why? Because I don't trust my car! -- Yet browsing his channel shows that he actually doesn't always wear it (unless he's planning to jump)

- He also claimed his dog "almost caused him to crash!!"

- Why does he have a jump altimeter and a selfie stick if he isn't planning to jump?

- It's shot from an angle that makes it look like there's nowhere safe to make a forced landing, but looking at the map, in conjunction with his altitude, there are lots of suitable spots out of frame. The aircraft is intentionally pointed toward a non-settled area (I know that last part could go both ways)

- He does nothing when the engine stops. Every single student pilot is taught to establish a glide attitude, scan for a suitable landing spot, and immediately point the aircraft toward in that direction. At that point, make whatever attempts at starting the engine the checklist/manual instructs. He didn't do any of that other than porpoise a bit, and jump out.

- At 2:17 he pulls the ashes out to fabricate a reason for the door to be open, at 2:25 it's open a crack, then the engine stops at 2:48 on the side gopro, and 12 second later he's starting to jump. (yes, it's edited - but the ground doesn't lie. That airplane could glide for miles from that altitude - he's in no danger at this point)

- As I mentioned, not seeing any footage of what his hands are doing from the gopro aimed at the panel.
    Unfortunately, the FAA gets to decide what to do with his certificate and I'd bet a dollar they don't do anything. I'm pretty sure that various FSDOs have established the policy that they won't take action based on video posted online because "it could be edited."

Since this joker actually caused a plane to fly into a mountain, maybe they'll look a little more closely, but who knows. Even if they did pull his cert, a guy who behaves like this isn't likely to be too concerned whether or not he's got a little card that gives him the blessing to fly an airplane. Hazardous attitudes and whatnot.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I'm pretty sure that various FSDOs have established the policy that they won't take action based on video posted online because "it could be edited."
    You're probably right. A friend did that job for a bit when he got tired of living out of a roller bag, and wanted to make his resume more attractive for ground based employment, and he said that most of what they deal with is mistakes, and they are more interested in educating than prosecuting. Even when someone intentionally did something stupid, if they came clean on the first phone call, it usually went ok for them.

Had a friend in his late 70's forget to drop the landing gear. FAA not very sympathetic, and he was permanently grounded.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    This asshat has always reminded me of a kid I went to college with. Just that shit-eating grin and willingness to deceive anyone for a buck. Can't knock the kid's hustle though.

He should have his license pulled, but as others pointed out he will probably still fly anyway.

Who didn't send their BMX bikes ghost riding down a big hill for shits and giggles when they were 10 or 11 years old? This is totally the same thing amirite??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You're probably right. A friend did that job for a bit when he got tired of living out of a roller bag, and wanted to make his resume more attractive for ground based employment, and he said that most of what they deal with is mistakes, and they are more interested in educating than prosecuting. Even when someone intentionally did something stupid, if they came clean on the first phone call, it usually went ok for them.
    That sounds about right. I think this sort of thing is an unintended side effect of the kinder, gentler FAA's compliance culture: as long as someone says "oops, I messed up" there's generally no enforcement action.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Had a friend in his late 70's forget to drop the landing gear. FAA not very sympathetic, and he was permanently grounded.
    And this is the flip side of that: they'll still occasionally throw the book at someone, but it's rarely the guy who's truly endangering others.

RE: the wheels up guy, at some point (age) they view it as saving someone from themselves (whether true or not)

My friend's (relatively short) experience was that there were three types of people in his office: Safety Guy, Cop Wannabe, Pensionable Time Collector

RE: the wheels up guy, at some point (age) they view it as saving someone from themselves (whether true or not)
    I suspect that was the case. He had a passenger with him that allegedly distracted him during his landing procedures. Still a pretty big miss all things considered.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Yet surprisingly common.

I mean, he landed.

They all land at some point.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Does owning/flying a plane require liability insurance to cover the amount of damage crashing it can cause?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My friend's (relatively short) experience was that there were three types of people in his office: Safety Guy, Cop Wannabe, Pensionable Time Collector
    That's sort of what I thought. There's a few guys around here who sound like hell on the radio and it's pretty clear they don't fully understand where they are. I'm guessing those are the guys who wind up with a 709 ride and a search for a new hobby.

Not quite the same since they're contractors, but I had a DPE who very much fell into the third category. The morning I spent with him falls into the "storytime with Grandpa" part of my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Does owning/flying a plane require liability insurance to cover the amount of damage crashing it can cause?
    Nope! And there's a whole slew of rich idiots who think they've somehow outsmarted the system by not buying insurance because of the relatively low chance of an incident. It may not surprise you to learn that these same people don't appear to care what happens to their family/estate/what-have-you if they crater their plane into an elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Nope! And there's a whole slew of rich idiots who think they've somehow outsmarted the system by not buying insurance because of the relatively low chance of an incident.
    Here's a related story from the wayback files: I'm flying a light twin full of cargo departing from a fairly big international airport. Somewhere around 100ft I catch sight of another light twin coming right at me! (to paraphrase Jimbo). I make a little evasive turn, and he passes in a blur.

Long story short, he flew through two control zones without talking to anybody, and over a residential area, all between 100 and 400 feet, landed at an uncontrolled grass strip, and disappeared.

They wanted to throw the book at him. Revoke his certificate, some kind of criminal charge, forfeiture of his airplane, etc. But it turned out he wasn't a rich asshole, just an old kook who hadn't had a medical in years, no insurance, and his POS old Aztec didn't have a valid airworthiness certificate. So basically, there was nothing to take.

Here's a related story from the wayback files: I'm flying a light twin full of cargo departing from a fairly big international airport. Somewhere around 100ft I catch sight of another light twin coming right at me! (to paraphrase Jimbo). I make a little evasive turn, and he passes in a blur.

Long story short, he flew through two control zones without talking to anybody, and over a residential area, all between 100 and 400 feet, landed at an uncontrolled grass strip, and disappeared.

They wanted to throw the book at him. Revoke his certificate, some kind of criminal charge, forfeiture of his airplane, etc. But it turned out he wasn't a rich asshole, just an old kook who hadn't had a medical in years, no insurance, and his POS old Aztec didn't have a valid airworthiness certificate. So basically, there was nothing to take.
    you must of been in Anchorage.
    off your knees Louie

Is there a defined direction in which pilots are supposed to turn if one sees another coming straight at them?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Is there a defined direction in which pilots are supposed to turn if one sees another coming straight at them?
    Probably right. Maybe left.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    you must of been in Anchorage.
    Having flown in/out of PANC, that's an excellent guess, but no. A friend had a similar close call on final there. B747/4 vs C185

In that particular situation being close to the ground no, just away. But as a general rule, airplanes don't turn fast enough, so initiating a climb/decent is generally the correct escape maneuver.

Bigger airplanes have a thing called TCAS The advanced versions have very accurate verbal commands and instrument depictions during a "Resolution Advisory"

it depends on your political affiliations
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/20...ded-skies.html

Two commercial airliners - one taking off and one on approach - collide.

Comment by "Stu Pid" sums it up perfectly:

"So obviously staged it’s not worthy of further commentary"

Comment by "Stu Pid" sums it up perfectly:

"So obviously staged it’s not worthy of further commentary"
    With these kind of individuals: How fucking dumb one has to be to think one can get away with shit like this?

Yes, you are intelligent enough to get a licence...yet... The. Fuck.

Seriously?

I can understand the certain kinds of calculations that a muppet/professional narcissists like him goes through while contemplating such an endeavour, but at what fucking point does one come to a conclusion that "naah, they'll never notice". Like, seriously?

Or is it that anyone sub 80 IQ can fly a plane? Paging Ted Striker.

#nooffense

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Name:  5wotni.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  60.4 KB

Flying a simple light airplane in visual conditions isn't particularly difficult. I had the misfortune to be a flight instructor for about a year and used to sardonically say "I could teach a monkey how to fly... and I have"

Flying a simple light airplane in visual conditions isn't particularly difficult. I had the misfortune to be a flight instructor for about a year and used to sardonically say "I could teach a monkey how to fly... and I have"
    Case closed, I presume?

Have taken a spin in a RL prop sim a decade ago. Could take off with some guidance (fuel flow, engine start up sequence etc) but fuck me, the landing part.
    Never nailed it. Two "crash landings" and one dubious "you are gonna pay for the landing gear revamp" incident.
    Maybe that was Trevors problem as well?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Trevor's problem is narcissistic personality disorder.