Avy cheat sheet cards

This is something I did a few years ago, but never thought to post it. Maybe helpful for some folks here. This is no substitute for practice of course, but it also helps me to refresh before heading out...
    Created some avy cards and zip tied em to my beacon strap. One card is checklist and search + dig pics (front and back) for an actual event. The other card is just some good review info I aim to run through every few times I head out... things like Tremper's 10 commandments, FACETS, plan-ride-debrief.
    I just printed them, cut em out and then taped them to an index card, then covered in a couple layers of shipping tape and zip tied to my beacon strap. So they're right there when needed, but not enough to be in the way. Although I may zip em to my harness vs the beacon lanyard.
    Attachment rules don't allow uploading a PDF >100kb, so here's a google doc link if anyone wants to use, should be open to anyone - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Chime in if some other useful info to add.
    I keep meaning to make some for my buddies to (hopefully) bring with them. Maybe useful for some of you all too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	398412

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	702.5 KB 
ID:	398413

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	712.9 KB 
ID:	398414

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	821.8 KB 
ID:	398415

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	893.3 KB 
ID:	398416

Avy cheat sheet cards

Thanks for sharing! I find this type of thing really helpful when skiing with someone new. It’s a good framework to make sure everyone is on the same page.
    Last edited by Samski360; 12-27-2021 at 06:27 PM.

I have a similar card that some cat op gave us a few years ago. I keep it handy in a jacket pocket and review every so often. Good idea to review with BC partners when going out.

Bit of thread drift here but OP mentions there’s no substitute for practice and a great practice ‘cheat’ I have been using for a while is to teach companion rescue to my kids and students. Transceiver in a dry bag along with some candy or chocolate and the kids have to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Bit of thread drift here but OP mentions there’s no substitute for practice and a great practice ‘cheat’ I have been using for a while is to teach companion rescue to my kids and students. Transceiver in a dry bag along with some candy or chocolate and the kids have to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    gummies and shrooms for the "adults" ?

Like beacon drinking games? My mind is racing!
    Either way - practice and whatever refresh and cheat resources are all critical. Doing a practice day on thurs. I shoulda been practicing earlier but the lack of snow was a deterrent.
    I’m always surprised how quickly I forget some of the details like spacing

I used to sell fieldbooks via Hacksaw Publishing. Its now out of business; American's apparently don't like to use pre-printed snowpit field books. Any way, I had a small group avalanche rescue checklist on the inside cover of the book. Feel free to copy this. My thought is its a good idea to have a reference guide to help in a stressful situation. Name:  IMG_3004.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  153.1 KB
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Avy cheat sheet cards

I have been meaning to sit down and turn my avy checklist into a rhyme. My WFR instructors did that for our initial scene analysis and physical exam and despite my garbage memory I can remember it 16 years later. I’ve had to use my training a handful of times and under stress it’s always been helpful to run through “a poetic protocol.” Kind of like remembering song lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Like beacon drinking games? My mind is racing!
    Either way - practice and whatever refresh and cheat resources are all critical. Doing a practice day on thurs. I shoulda been practicing earlier but the lack of snow was a deterrent.
    I’m always surprised how quickly I forget some of the details like spacing
    https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-sci...SW16_P3.48.pdf
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

^^^Brilliant! Avoids the whole "mentally ignore all the footprints in the snow" thing

Just don't forget to turn the transceiver on before you punt the football down the slope!!!

The most over used (yet completely valid) mantra in 1st aid and rescue training .... 'You don't rise to the occasion, you fall back on your training.' And if falling back on your training requires cheat sheets and Nerf footballs to keep you sharp than so be it. I'm in.

I have something similar, but taped into a fieldbook. Helps prevent the dangly bits which drive me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	398412

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	702.5 KB 
ID:	398413