Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Taking a year to ski before getting back into your career isn’t becoming a ski bum.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

should I become a ski bum…seeking wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Taking a year to ski before getting back into your career isn’t becoming a ski bum.

Holy shit man, you must be fun at parties. I mean you aren’t technically wrong, maybe the title of this thread should change to remove “become a”. The verb form makes more sense.

Surfing is another option.
    Relatively low post count.

You generally only regret the things you did not do.

Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    This is the only half good advice in this whole thread. Go to trade school. the only reliable halfway good paying jobs available, unless your are managing a hedge fund for your father's investment firm. Shit is prohibitively expensive anywhere desirable; you'll just be working 3 jobs unless you have a plan or a trustfund.
    The greatest fear is the fear of the unknown. Beware of well traveled paths, they lead to rutts.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by aqua toque View Post
    Surfing is another option.
    Desert loitering is another and it's a lot easier to van life it going to warm locals during the winter.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    It’s important to keep in mind that any decision you make will be a compromise.

RA damn near talked me into the ski bum life over the course of a few apre sessions when I was down there, and he may have succeeded too if it didn’t so happen that a work transfer moved me near where I wanted to be.

I think the biggest thing you’ve got going for you as a recent grad is you aren’t too far into the career world yet. I was 4 years in and already had a plan in my mind of where I wanted to be career/family/location wise and if I fucked around at that point it would be adding years to the potential achievement of that goal.

At your age 1 or 2 years of ski bumming in the winter ain’t going to set you back in the slightest. Still gotta be smart on how you pursue it. Van would by far be the cheapest option and if you can get membership at a gym with showers you’d be set up good.
    Well, you had to get the heck out of Phoenix.

I'm stoked it worked out for ya!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

OP, did you ask this question on the finance forum you hang out on also? How do the responses compare?

I've been a pro patroller for over 20 years, have a dog, own a house, own my Tacoma that I bought new, have a hot wife, credit in the 780's, have my own business for the off season, if you are eating crackers and catsup soup living in a van getting no pussy you're doing it wrong
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I've been a pro patroller for over 20 years, have a dog, own a house, own my Tacoma that I bought new, have a hot wife, credit in the 780's, have my own business for the off season, if you are eating crackers and catsup soup living in a van getting no pussy you're doing it wrong
    Pffft POSER! Real ski bums find a a free ride to southern hemisphere and bum there in the "off season". But ya, being a park ranger or EMT or other day job/side gig is way too responsible to be a true "ski bum". Tree farm is a pretty cool and lucrative side gig to pay bills and ski late December through June.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Here to bring everyone down. What do you want to do, work at a ski hill live in staff accom ski party and help make the world work or move to a town rent a place at a rate that makes skiers need to leave. In other words part of the solution or part of the problem? If the former good on you, come work, fuck around and have a great time. Be a lifty if you want, work in a rental shop, bus tables or whatever. Make some friends and live a bit. All I am saying is don't buy into the idea of being part of something without really being part of something. The community will remedy your WFH not doing anything blues but you need to jump into it not hide on the edge pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    At your age 1 or 2 years of ski bumming in the winter ain’t going to set you back in the slightest. Still gotta be smart on how you pursue it. Van would by far be the cheapest option and if you can get membership at a gym with showers you’d be set up good.
    This is very good advice.. I'll add in be sure 1-2 years doesn't turn in to a decade and an expired advanced education. I can also testify that working part time as an instructor someplace besides a destination resort where hosing is ridiculous can work out well/ Free skiing, pro form, food discounts... and instructor clinics to fine tune your turns. Meeting people.. Powder days getting paid to ski with someone else who just wants to cut lines ain't bad either. On site gear storage and locker rooms to boot up in, eat your sammiches, etc.. Lineups during the holidays totally sucks though. Other than that it's pretty sweet.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Although a lot of us have different opinions on how to do it or what exactly constitutes being a ski bum I think we are all in agreement that the op should make a change and get after what ever this means for him/her.

There's all kinds of ways to do things, none of them are wrong or right, only the op knows what's right for themselves.

But yeah, make the move op.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

arent "wisdom" and "ski bum" mutualy exclusive ?

around here I run into a lot of firefighters and tree planters up the hill who make pretty good coin in the season and just ski in the winter
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    I grew up skiing Squaw, I raced in College. After graduation I learned to ski for real living with 13 'glow bros mid mountain at Alta. I spent two years there, four to a room, the constant smell of wet boots and scrubbing toilets/ scaping grease off the flat top. IT WAS FUCKING AWSOME!! I got to ski some of the lightest snow ever recorded 18" of 2%! One day when the road was closed I skied the Supreme lift for almost four hours with only few patrollers who were still doing control in closed off areas and whichever 2 lifties were getting their turns in at that moment. On bluebird days I got to ski 70mph on my 223cm DH boards on perfect corduroy before the gapers showed up. I was so freaking fit I was jogging boot packs. Most important I learned to tele, and got good at it. Now I have two kids and a demanding job. I make great money, but there are a lot of days where I am ready to say fuck it and go back to bumming. My time is over, it is YOUR time now.
    I feel it is important to call myself out on this. I was (white, suburban, upper-middleclass) privileged enough to leave college relatively debt free, and I was still on Daddy's insurance. That doesn't change my advice that you go for it, but I had it easier than some.

The most important advice I can give Skimples is get MORNINGS OFF!!! (unless you bang chairs, patrol etc.) Open to 11 is when the magic usually happens.

also thanks Smiley, you triggered some kind of PTSD. The mere thought of opening those chili cans early in the morning while completely hungover caused me throw up in my mouth a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

My advice: do what feels right while enjoying life. What’s the point if you ain’t enjoying it.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Move to the beach or the mountains, all young people should do it at least once during their lives. Aimlessness is a privilege of youth, so don't blow it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    What's your degree in? Plenty of places you can get a real job and still have good access to skiing, if that's your thing. Cost of living in the west is certainly higher across the board in the midwest, but still doable, especially when you're young and able to operate on a tight budget.
    Do it

The danger is alwasy getting sucked into the vortex of not getting done what ever it was you thot you wanted to do

I usually see it start as blowing off school to ski for a season but then it morphs into full on blowing off school to plant trees/ ski/ play music/ grow vegetables and be a carpenter who does all of the preceding

I think there's a few things you already know:
    0) This is the wrong place to seek wisdom.
    1) Wisdom comes from personal experience, it's not secondhand.
    2) Only you can answer your question.

SkiHereNow - baba rum skibum.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1640641576.613040.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	398443

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Is this thread for real?
    I woke up smoked a joint and carried onwards been working out pretty well for some time now I'd suggest trying it to

I wanna be a ski bum.

What are the requirements?

All I can say is I’m glad I spent two seasons working on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I wanna be a ski bum.

What are the requirements?
    It might depend on where you are coming from, after the corporate gig being a ski bum was not really apparent and required a 4 yr program in whatever man