Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

What are the requirements?
    Only one, you must be able to pronounce the phrase, "do you want fries with that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It might depend on where you are coming from, after the corporate gig being a ski bum was not really apparent and required a 4 yr program in whatever man

Averaging 75 days a season over 32 years in JH.( After I matriculated an eastern pre law degree...)

YMMV but the 30yr corporate gig was majoring in being the anti-skibum so it took 4 yrs to fully decompress and really hit my stride

eastern pre law, is that some mystical practice ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Are you thinking about ski bumming for a season, or are you looking to make a lifestyle change and permanently move to or closer to a ski town?

If you do get let go from your job, and decide to take the plunge and ski bum for a season, I would offer the following advice as someone who’s lived in a ski town for 10 years:

Realize that sacrifices will have to be made. Financial security and a lower standard of living being the two big ones that come to mind.

Set a date for when you want to return the real world, I think it will help get you through any low points you may experience of “living the dream” (crappy/low paying job, dealing with room mates, dry spells, etc). As well, it will help you appreciate the good times as well.

Unless all you want to do is eat, sleep, and breathe skiing, then get some sort of job, it will be easier to meet people and make friends. I would probably try and get an evening serving job, I have some friends who make obscene money in tips.

Also, not to get too dark, but have a read though the following thread on suicides in ski town, not to discourage you, but to help avoid some of the pitfalls:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...n-Suicide-Belt

Good luck with your decision!

Didn’t read the thread, probably a lot of self affirmation. I won’t add to it. But whatever you do, get out of the Midwest for at least a few years lest you grow up to be a dumbfuck like everyone else that has never left the state they were born in. Go do something, ski bum or go travel through South America or sail a boat around in the Caribbean. Please go see and meet people unlike yourself and form some new opinions about the world that you wouldn’t have had the chance to develop if you stayed at some corporate job in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    YMMV but the 30yr corporate gig was majoring in being the anti-skibum so it took 4 yrs to fully decompress and really hit my stride

eastern pre law, is that some mystical practice ?

No, that was the philosophy minor.

It learned me gud.

Being an actual ski bum is something no one respects or cares about.

If you are failing in your first real job find out “why” and change that. 9/10 it ain’t because of the location.

and the best thing that could ever happen to the Midwest is Putin’s tu-95s.

I don't know, what are your other options?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Being an actual ski bum is something no one respects or cares about.

Actual ski bums don't care what other people think.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

skimnp69,

A high percentage of the respondents to the thread thus far have less than 10K total posts.

So bear that in mind.
    Relatively low post count.

Consider looking for a low level finance/vault job at a ski area so you can have best of both worlds. Maybe look to next season as a solid goal to ski bum(ski and have some income), this will give you some more time to save cash and look for industry job. I think most people on here grew up skiing that was afforded by middle class or higher can't quite relate to the stress of growing up with limited funds and being an immigrant trying to fit into American society/culture when everything at home is so damn different than all your friends.
    Congrats on getting through college and getting a start and good luck on your adventures.

should I become a ski bum…seeking wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Actual ski bums don't care what other people think.
    And some gapers always got a bomb hole
    Telling his Jong crew how he got it
    But real gangsta ass ski bums don’t flex nutz
    Cuz real gangsta ass ski bums know they got em.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Only one, you must be able to pronounce the phrase, "do you want fries with that?"
    Extremely antiquated and ignorant. Nowadays, in the 21st century it's "combo meal or just the sandwich?"
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

All I can offer is my own experience. Didn’t do it, wish I did. No right or wrong answer. Your path is your path and will take you where it takes you. Same path may take others elsewhere. Best of luck to you in your decision.

Fascinating thread.

Think about your longterm goals then create a plan that allows you to ski your ass off while adding value to your longterm plan/ increasing probability of your longterm plan's success. Assuming your motivation is to ski as much as possible.

Do it now because you'll only be one year older when you do. Warren Miller was a wise man.

You might retire at a later age but you are only young once. If you wait until you're in your forties or fifties your body won't keep up with your mind. Worse yet, your mind might not know how to do it anymore.

I wouldn't trade my years of being a whitewater kayaker for anything. Sure I might not retire until I'm 55 or 60, but I have nothing to complain about. There is no f'ing way I could have worked more early on and then gone on to creekboat the shit at my current age. Myelin doesn't grow on trees; it grows from mileage

That being said, I had a plan and spent all my time either kayaking or studying with some kiteboarding, windsurfing, and skiing mixed in too.

Good luck. Get after it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I’m gonna retire first…..then become a ski bum.

should I become a ski bum…seeking wisdom

Fellow Midwestern here. Fully support anyone with any desire to get out of there to do it. Especially if you can pick a good place to try out this “lifestyle”. I was gifted a great recommendation by an old JHAFer and am extremely thankful.

Here is my advice:

Surround yourself with good skiers. These are not necessarily ski instructors. A lot of them ski like trees and are fucking lames IMHO. Avoid the people that take skiing too seriously; they aren’t having any fun. You can get a ton of advice off the hill and go try things people recommend on the bunny slope.

Work in a tuning shop. Pro deals, tons of hand me downs, free beer, and a probably pass.

Get a pair of carving skis and build fundamentals. Don’t be the classic bro-brah that’s narrowest ski is 110. You aren’t going to instantly become some rad dick waving skier just because you’re living this lifestyle. Google some drills and run them. I get flamed for running drills and rocking carvers all the time. But come mid Jan-Feb joke is on those dudes.

First thing is first. Just gotta pick a place, pack it up, and go. It’s a huge leap of faith but those that take it are often handsomely rewarded.

We’re all here to cheer you on. YOU’VE GOT IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    It's -8 I'm in the Bridger lot now. Went to sleep in the van -9, woke up -9. About 30 in the van. No heat while sleeping. Propane on from under the covers. 60 within 5 min.

People need to harden the fuck up. Bunch of soft ass white people w way too much comfort.
    just in case anyone missed this

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post

FKNA right.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I wanna be a ski bum.

What are the requirements?
    you son, are gonna need alot of guidance you can buy my book, its for sale on open snow and amason, and your local book store coffee house kinda place

just don't try hard
    the haters are gonna call you a loser but being a bum is better than a loser
    being a beater is better than a punter must people are punters

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Fascinating thread.

Think about your longterm goals then create a plan that allows you to ski your ass off while adding value to your longterm plan/ increasing probability of your longterm plan's success. Assuming your motivation is to ski as much as possible.

Do it now because you'll only be one year older when you do. Warren Miller was a wise man.

You might retire at a later age but you are only young once. If you wait until you're in your forties or fifties your body won't keep up with your mind. Worse yet, your mind might not know how to do it anymore.

I wouldn't trade my years of being a whitewater kayaker for anything. Sure I might not retire until I'm 55 or 60, but I have nothing to complain about. There is no f'ing way I could have worked more early on and then gone on to creekboat the shit at my current age. Myelin doesn't grow on trees; it grows from mileage

That being said, I had a plan and spent all my time either kayaking or studying with some kiteboarding, windsurfing, and skiing mixed in too.

Good luck. Get after it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I'll be working until the end. F it, our bodies at 55+ aren't anywhere near as cool or fun than our 20's.

Wanna feel like a super hero? Do things you have only dreamed of? Don't wait. I'm now 46 and there is no way I can do that shit anymore. I think my body would explode on impact.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    just in case anyone missed this

F yeah! byates1 with some hard to swallow truths. There are starving children in Africa that would kill to freeze their asses off in a van every night to go shred pow every day.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Good grief ! This guy is going to get " Laid off" ......" Laid off" !!! .......He's able to collect un employment and ski ! Best of both worlds . Take some time and figure things out . Find an online job ? and ski .

A trade will keep you busy for sure and there are few young people entering so less competition for an increasing number of jobs . You'll need 5-10 yrs before you're no longer considered a helper. Stick with finance but learn a trade as well .

Self employment while giving me a flexible schedule is ok but you can't shut it off it follows you home and into the bathroom and can keep you awake at night .

A wise old man gave me good advice years ago , I was lamenting mistakes I made following other people.
    He put his hand on my shoulder and said with a Southern drawl . " Son you got to fly your own airplane "
    good luck .
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post

So, so much goodness here. Hespect

You should read everyone's opinions on this question - asked in a different way - in this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ki-bum-anymore. Might be different, might be the same, I've only read a few pages.

IMO the remote-WFH life is the best option. You have a college degree and seem to have the generic white collar skills to thrive in a random office job (although maybe not if you're getting laid off), and the job market is super hot right now.

Maybe if you really enjoyed college and think you would fit in really well with other ski bums, then ski bumming would be a ton of fun. Watch out for romanticizing it, though. It probably sucks sometimes.