Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Who gets cheap/expensive hair cuts ?

I go quick and easy Vietnamese lady version for cheap. Been going to the same place for years and they don't try to be your therapist or tell you their life story. As a bonus there is a strip club around the corner that has a Tuesday special-$10 lap dance and $1 tacos.
    My boys usually go to the cheap place but wife trying to tell my youngest go to the local hipster joint for 3x the price.....

I have found there is a big difference between the cheap haircuts and more expensive ones in terms of quality and service. I have been going to the same lady for like 8 years and she does a great job, but it's starting to get into the ridiculous level cost, so I may need to reevaluate at some point. Bonus is I get a beer or whisky, a scalp massage and a hot towel on my face, so that's all worth some amount of $.

Cheapest haircut I’ve ever had was like 10 rupees (~$0.25) at a “barber college” in India. Also included a straight razor face shave.

edit: in the us I did like the beer whole you wait at the not cheapest place in PDX (but not expensive either), but that doesn’t seem to have gone nationwide

I buzz my own head with a Wahl 2-3x/yr.
    It's a good thing that my wife loves me, because I am not particularly fastidious when it comes to grooming.

Although, I can see a Vietnamese cut coming with a happy ending
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Who gets cheap/expensive hair cuts ?

Cheapest…I buzz my own…#3 attachment…..sides faded in with #2/1…..

Gotta say, I do kinda miss going to “my guy”…..the bullshitting with him/customers….20.00 w/tip

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Cheapest haircut I’ve ever had was like 10 rupees (~$0.25) at a “barber college” in India. Also included a straight razor face shave.
    Yeah, I got those in India too. Sometimes just the shave it was so damn cheap.

Was going to the hipster barber for years because it was super convenient to the office, but during covid (after letting my hear get crazy) I went back to the clipper method, and now I am not sure I will return to the hipster place. Not into paying $30 for a cut.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I just go over the beard & Mustache with #2

I have had good " hair stylists " for mo money but they all seem to move around so now I am at the cheapest walk-in barber in town and they arent going anywhere

if you get a cut you like just take a selfie and show the cutter exactly what you want will make for a better end product
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Cheapest…I buzz my own…#3 attachment…..sides faded in with #2/1…..
    This. Quick, cheap, easy

The cheap barber is hit or miss trimming my beard. Going over my beard myself with a trimmer and guard does not produce what I want. I can't figure out how to trim it myself with a comb and trimmer and have it look like anything other than it was done by a drunk chimpanzee on flakka.

Turns out there is some skill to it. My barber said that good shears can cost like $1,500. I thought they were like $50

Obviously I don't have good shears then. But they've been working fine for 30 years, so there's that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The cheap barber is hit or miss trimming my beard. Going over my beard myself with a trimmer and guard does not produce what I want. I can't figure out how to trim it myself with a comb and trimmer and have it look like anything other than it was done by a drunk chimpanzee on flakka.
    I take the guard off for the close-in stuff ^^

I inherited the shears from my dad, probably the 50$ shears

he didnt pay 1500$ but they havent done thousands of jobs either
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I used to enjoy the barber, kept the hair above the collar for city work until school was done. Most small towns I've lived in don't have a barber, so I just let it grow and trim the ends every quarter or so. Straight razor hasn't touched my face in a few years, scissors and comb to trim the chops and stach is usually sufficient.

My regular hair cut is $15 from the lady that's been cutting the whole family's hair for the last 15 years.

I usually give her $20.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I take the guard off for the close-in stuff ^^

I inherited the shears from my dad, probably the 50$ shears

he didnt pay 1500$ but they havent done thousands of jobs either
    No, the issue is that I want my beard about 3"" long at the chin and tapered back in a straight line instead of following the countour of my face. So that it makes it look like I just have a beard instead of a pudgy face with hair on it which is what I get if I use the guard. Plus my beard hair isn't straight or even genuinely curly. It is literally 'kinked'.

I haven't paid for a haircut in 20 years. Just bought a Wahl and buzz it down to a 3.
    Live Free or Die

I'm balding pretty seriously now, so just have my wife buzz/cut it. If she's happy with it, I'm good.

Not a usual college experience for people, but their was this little barbershop owned by a Korean dude named Mr. T, that stayed open until 3am. I think he was working with Palm Donuts next door to basically move drugs. Palm Donut had just a few dubious varieties of donuts in super short supply out front, along with a cig machine and a hotdog wheel, but at like 3 am boxes of stuff used to get loaded into the back of the owner's van on the side of the building. Mr. T would run out there to add to load in the middle of night, god knows what these two establishments were comingling at that hour (see: drugs) , so I assume Mr. T stayed open late to make his contributions and hell, may as take a few walk ins.

So, I started going after a heavy night of drinking and get a hot shave. He had esoteric sport events on that were potentially being broadcast live in whatever part of the world was awake, a stack of nudie mags and some of the most comfortable chairs around. It was bliss so I got a taste for a good barber experience early.

As an adult, I spent a good deal of time going to Rudy's in Ballard which was connected to a great bar with skiball. Have a cocktail, throw some skiball, stumble into the shop for a cut and shave. That morphed into trying out those high class places with leather, tv and cocktails, which had their own charm but I missed the grittiness.

Now I'm on island and go to some guy in an old building who rents a room just big enough for a chair and a window that looks out onto a bucolic pasture with cows and chickens. He barely ever answers his phone and has no online presence, only takes cash, so I just set up my next appointment each time I am there.

I've learned I don't care quite as much about the hair and instead like the experience and time to myself.

Ha. So +- 1998 I get alapecia air--eee-ahata bad, like patches of hair falling out all over the place. I walk into Ferrals looking like freddie kruger, walk out simi-normal so Ferral cuts my hair. about 2005 or so he hands me off to Ronnie, which is were it gets interesting. Ferral always super cheerful, easy to talk to, but somewhat guarded in what he says. Ronnie's way free-er and will tell you anything you ask, I just limit heavily what I ask. Over the years...

I'm (shock) old and redneck from the deep south, as is Ronnie and Ferral. Ronnie grew up dirt poor and was on his own since age 15. Told me once he got through high school riding the free Memphis airport bus shuttle for hours at night to keep warm. I don't know at what age ronnie got in with ferral but I think early. Ferral from a mega rich oil and gas family, new orr-leeans money from what I gather (have independently verified ferral is the 20-million-plus range). I have a hard time ciphering thier relationship, and don't ask direct questions, aint my bidness, but it is interesting. Ferral seems to spend a lot of time at his 2000+head horse farm in northern florida, ronnie a lot of time with his friends in the north ga mtns. Ronnie and Ferral I beleive have lived together in property owned by ferral for a very long time, since at least late 1990s. They have always worked out of the same shop which was "Ferrals" when i started seeing them, has changed to "Ronnie and Ferrals." both are the nicest, finest kind of people and will be in the heaven I beleive in.

But to the question, they have always said $25, so i write a check for $35 with the "to" blank and ronnie always endorses it to cash.
    "Can't you see..."

I went to Supercuts until they pissed me off by laughing at me for showing up 30 minutes after closing time (they'd changed their hours that week). One of the stylists gave great cuts, but I didn't always get her, so it was hit or miss.

Now I pay the once unimaginable sum of $32 +tip every 6-8 weeks at a local barbershop, but Kat is always ready to shoot the shit about dogs and video games, so it's a pretty relaxing time and a nice change after more than a year of talking my wife into giving me clipper cuts. My wife did a good job, but cleanup was kind of a drag, turns out a waxed linoleum floor is part of what you're paying for at the barber shop.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 12-22-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Cheap.... I've been doing the self buzz since I moved to SD 15 yrs ago. Never did find a barber I liked here. I don't have much hair left so cutting it myself was an easy change, and can't beat the price.

I had a great barber when I lived in Vancouver. Old Filipino guy named Carlito. Almost everyone I knew from UBC went to him. Inexpensive, good cut, and you got the whole hot towel, scalp/neck/shoulder massage treatment. His shop closed around the time I moved.

I have succumbed to the fucking $30 hipster hair cut. But Zac and his huge hipster beard know exactly what I want and he does a damn good job.

I guess I'm on the high end. I pay $45 plus tip, so usually give $55 total. In the grand scheme of things it's still not much money.

Wahl plug in on a 1/2 up top and back of the neck. 1 on the stash and chin cheese. Every week or two. Really happy to have that during the shutdowns.. but I was already doing that for years. Got a spare blade and a back up trimmer not even opened yet.. #set4lifehaircuts
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My wife's haircuts cost a lot more than mine, but of course she only gets one maybe every 4-5 months. Turns out I spend more on haircuts than she does