Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

East Coast Blah Day Ski?

Haven't posted in many years, and haven't looked for resort skis in about a decade. What are people skiing on the east coast these days when conditions are what they usually are? (yes I searched, but the recommendations in those threads sucked).

If it matters, I am someone who was once a good skier... heck, I even tossed my meat off A-Frame back in the ski bum days. Now, though, I'm older, slower, don't ski very much, and have fallen into the bad habit of spending more time going uphill than skiing downhill. I tell myself I like the uphill because I don't like crowds, or because it is more rewarding to earn turns than ride the lifts, but the reality is that I'm just compensating for my declining abilities as a skier.

I'd like to reverse (or slow that trend), and it starts with throwing out my shit pair of 4Frnt MSPs and replacing them with something that makes skiing fun. What is out there that can handle MRG trees, make me look like Glen Plake zipperlining bumps under the chair, and let me throw down my hip in my best Marcus Caston impression? I'm thinking 85-92 underfoot with a soft tip (but stiffer underfoot/tail) and a shorter turn radius. Oh, I don't ski backwards.

What didn’t you like about the MSP’s?

I got a pair of msp 99s last year and they are pretty decent on most days. Not the easiest or the funnest ski, but mostly good all around

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    What didn’t you like about the MSP’s?

I got a pair of msp 99s last year and they are pretty decent on most days. Not the easiest or the funnest ski, but mostly good all around

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That is a good question. I always felt like the MSP was a west coast skier's guess at what an east coast ski should be... it skis great on soft groomers, blasts crud, and can hammer soft bumps, but it totally falls apart when you throw ice into the mix. I like to stay light on my edges sneaking through icy bumps/trees/etc., with the ability to engage the edge as soon as you hit a soft spot, but I could never really do that with the MSP. It was too plodding.

TLDR: I'm looking for something with more energy in the ski and that is lighter edge to edge.

East Coast Blah Day Ski?

a bit wider than your range but the Line Vision 98 might be worth checking out. I think it would be a daily driver for me if I moved back east- quick and nimble in the trees. light as hell too. I have alpine bindings on mine and they still feel featherweight.
    skid luxury

praxis mvp 94, it is perfect.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The guys in the Line Blade thread are going off about how great it is in exactly what you describe.

Is the answer limited to one ski? Kind of asking a lot, but lots of compromises if so. I tried to do it on Brahma 88s but they fail in the float category. Maybe Fischer 94 FR?

Ripstick, Ranger or Mindbender in your desired sizes. I,m a bit Black ops curious as well. I wouldn't overlook J Skis either.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prsboogie; 12-20-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ETA J Ski
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Volkl Blaze 94.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Ripstick, Ranger or Mindbender in your desired sizes. I,m a bit Black ops curious as well. I wouldn't overlook J Skis either.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Agree. Ripstick 88 is a great EC all around ski. I've been skiing on 74mm underfoot skis so far this winter and they are exactly the right tool for the conditions we face 90% of our days here on the EC but they are GS cheaters and I wouldn't want to ski them in the trees or moguls. Really liking my Liberty V92s for our skiing as well. Check out Sierra Trading Post; they had the V92s for $299 but not sure what lengths are available.

I have some 186cm Liberty V92 mounted with Griffon demos that I would sell for $299. Both are like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Volkl Blaze 94.
    Checks out

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

This is a great list to work off. Thanks all.

East Coast Blah Day Ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    The guys in the Line Blade thread are going off about how great it is in exactly what you describe.
    and ladies too
    but I would consider the Blade a much more carvy ski than I would want for a 1 ski quiver. OP speaks of wanting to zipper line bumps etc.
    skid luxury

I'd take a hard look at the Fischer Ranger 90 Ti or 94 FR, depending on how stiff a ski you really want. Bonus is that both can usually be found pretty cheap...

I’d look at the enforcer 88 or 94, or the rustler 9, the camox is a little wider then you stated but it is worth a look. The ranger is definitely worth a look as well.

East Coast Blah Day Ski?

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    praxis mvp 94, it is perfect.
    Good to hear, looks perfect for the role, hope to get on a pair some day.

I’m currently using a Salomon Pro Pipe, a cir 2011 fully cambered 85 under foot twin tip ski with a ton of camber and a ~21m radius for very icy days. If it might soften up I’ll usually take out Praxis Piste Jibs (99 under foot, 25m radius, twin tip with tip and tail rocker).
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-22-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I’d look at the enforcer 88 or 94, or the rustler 9, the camox is a little wider then you stated but it is worth a look. The ranger is definitely worth a look as well.
    Or maybe the new unlimited 94? Metal out, carbon in, 3-400 grams lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post

I’m currently using a Salomon Pro Pipe, a cir 2011 fully cambered 85 under foot twin tip ski with a ton of camber and a ~21m radius for very icy days. If it might soften up I’ll usually take out Praxis Piste Jibs (99 under foot, 25m radius, twin tip with tip and tail rocker).
    Tough sizing on those MVPs. Look like fun skis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Tough sizing on those MVPs. Look like fun skis too.
    I went a little shorter than I usually do (had 2x MVP's in 183, BC's in 180, GPO's in 182) specifically because most of the in-bounds stuff I do these days is at tiny hills close to the city. Lots of man made snow and 600' vert or less and i hoped the very limited rocker would make them ski a hair longer anyway.

So far I have two early season days on them, one night skiing at a popular resort (600') and one true WROD day at an indie with one zig zagging long trail down for the masses (1500' vertish) after 5" of fresh snow with glare ice underneath so this is a maybe a preliminary review where i tell everyone about how much i love my new toys, but here goes:

With previous Praxis I felt like there were a couple of days that I needed to get dialed in while I fidgeted detuning the tips and tails to be one hundred percent comfy. So I don't consider myself a total fanboy and somewhat critical skier though I really appreciate Keith for building durable and light skis that have given me tons of good days and giving me good advice in the past.

With these, the factory tune was perfect out of the box. I bought a ticket and just skied them really intuitively, going up the sides of the bulldozed slopes to play around or riding the fake hard groomer spine on the far edge of a trail high above the trees where the mank is and you don't want to fall but can drop in on the soft side and live on the edge. They have just felt so far solid, fun, and intuitive.

It's a pretty small sample and this isn't blister, but they held an edge on the ice and they seem to be able to do everything I ask. No moguls yet but I'd been on 108mm before for a long time and skied those fine in the bumps, at least for me, and don't see why these would be worse.

I've demoed the Ranger, Ripstick, and Brahma and it's funny to see them mentioned here because I don't get on tons of demoes. They were all fun skis too that I could spend seasons on. I preferred the Brahmas the most of this set as they were the easiest going (and then picked up a set for my dad that he loves). I can't remember them enough specifically to compare just that I thought the knocks for me on the ranger (a bit less poppy) and ripstick (not powerful enough for resort) had other positive attributes - but this was also a couple of years ago.

If I had those piste jibs I'd be concerned about the overlap with the similar width and turning radius but I haven't been on the jibs to know how similarly they ski.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Appreciate the review. I’m hopeful that ski could replace both of my skis that I DD around NE.

I have been enjoying a pair of Blizzard Brahma 88.

Quote Originally Posted by liftline View Post
    What is out there that can handle MRG trees, make me look like Glen Plake zipperlining bumps under the chair, and let me throw down my hip in my best Marcus Caston impression? I'm thinking 85-92 underfoot with a soft tip (but stiffer underfoot/tail) and a shorter turn radius. Oh, I don't ski backwards.
    Sounds like my old Enforcer 93s. Not sure if the new 94 is similar, but I'd demo - or buy 93s used.

Don't go for the 88s. Stiff flex and a fair bit of tip rocker made for bad turn initiation on hard snow / ice

Mantra m6! Best east coast ski out there imo.

Seconded on the Enforcer 88. Skis well pretty much anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Say what now? Never tried the 93 or 94. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Sounds like my old Enforcer 93s. Not sure if the new 94 is similar, but I'd demo - or buy 93s used.

Don't go for the 88s. Stiff flex and a fair bit of tip rocker made for bad turn initiation on hard snow / ice