Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rustler 11 188 vs QST Blank 186

I'll try to make things the shortest way possible as I have a tendency for long threads so looking to expand / replace some of my current quiver. Intro : current backcountry gear packs some 186 2021 Line Sick Day 104 w. Shifts and 14 Moment Bibbys 186 w. Guardians. I love the Sick Days but for those (few) deeper pow days they are just not enough. Love the Moments but have two gripes with them, due to long twin rocker and true length of 183 I always felt they were a bit short and second thing, the Guardians are killing the scale, at over 15 lbs it's an anchor setup. I'm planning to slap some shifts on them as well but being "14 it's itching me to get some new sticks.

So now to the title question, I do incline towards the Rustlers, but have an awesome deal for the Blanks and wondering if they fill the shoes quite as well?

Much appreciated, btw, I'm 6 foot and around 185-190 geared up.
    Quiver : '12 HALO , '12 TST 183 , '14 Bibby Pro's

Hi,

Quick response….

I own both the 2021 Rustler 11 with Pivots and this year’s 2022 Salomon Blanks with STH. I also previously owned the 2019 Rustler with Shifts.

I’m 5’7”, 165 lbs and have the 180cm R11 (+1cm mount) and 178cm QST Blank (+1.5cm mount) btw.

Only 1 pretty deep day on the Blanks so far, but have numerous days on Rustler 11s.

Initial impression….the R11 is an awesome all around ski. Does everything well from pow to steeps to trees to groomers. Competent everywhere and still easy.

The Blanks felt like a cheater ski cause it was so easy at everything. Competent and effortless in one.

The tip and tail rocker is a lot on the Blanks. A lot. See pic…compare ski #4 (R11) and #5 (Blank) below. Therefore, the Blanks do ski shorter than the R11s in comparable lengths. The Blank is definitely one of the most maneuverable wide skis I’ve ever been on. Quick turns are just effortless and intuitive. More so than the Rustler. So the Blank is a really really good tree ski. When it’s tight. Yet it didn’t feel too short as it still ripped pow packed groomers when you lay it over on edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3884.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	397520

Name:	IMG_3886.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	397521

Not as much float as some 112mm skis….I was definitely in the snow, not on it, but they handled this:

Name:	66155981512__99D860D2-10C2-400A-AD9A-AEDC55A904B2.JPG 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	397528

Name:	IMG_4054.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	397529
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-20-2021 at 10:44 AM.

That's as deep as 98% of my time, and for even deeper I'll keep my Moments.

But deep pow and fresh snow I concur that will go well, but can the Blanks still charge a bit through chop / firmer snow? I just don't want some noodles that deflect like crazy.

BTW, due to the awesome deal on the Blanks I'll take this route. Still, trying to decide if I should go 186 or go with the 194. I'm 6 ft tall so which way I should take?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan_mb View Post
    BTW, due to the awesome deal on the Blanks I'll take this route. Still, trying to decide if I should go 186 or go with the 194. I'm 6 ft tall so which way I should take?
    This is TGR go for the longest ones

The 186 will ski short.

So if you think 186 Bibbys are too short then go 194cm and mount a bit forward. ie +1cm.

That being said…I like having this ski in just the 178cm…..even when most of my other skis are ~180cm just for its higher maneuverability and how turny it is. Great ski in steep and techy terrain.

It is also able to carve, as it’s pretty stiff underfoot. Doesn’t destroy chop, but I found it stiff enough, with enough weight to go to go pretty fast.

It kind of reminds me of a wider, but slightly less heavy, Nordica Enforcer 104 Free. Cause it’s so easy to ski. Yet can still rip. Perfect attributes for a ski to have a lot of fun on.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-21-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Not sure if I mentioned but I'll mount them with Shifts so that's why I have second thoughts for the 194. Not goint to do your days but my best lines require some skinning so the added 200 grams / ski would be noticeable. Anyone knows the actual length of the 194? Never had a pair above 190 cm true length.

If you can still lay your hands on either of those skis at this point in the season, you're lucky . . .

Fun fact : all Salomon/Atomic/Armada bindings around the world are made 5 miles from my home so I know a tech guy from the factory and has some pairs to eye out for a second though on size. As for availability, some shops in Europe still have them

Fun fact : all Salomon/Atomic/Armada bindings around the world are made 5 miles from my home so I know a tech guy from the factory and has some pairs to eye out for a second though on size. As for availability, some shops in Europe still have them
    Isn't the Amer boot factory there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Isn't the Amer boot factory there as well?
    Yes, that's true, not in the same actual factory, but in the area .

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    It kind of reminds me of a wider, but slightly less heavy, Nordica Enforcer 104 Free. Cause it’s so easy to ski. Yet can still rip. Perfect attributes for a ski to have a lot of fun on.
    Shit, you have my attention now.

Always interesting to hear what other WB skiers are enjoying. At 5’9” I’ve found the E104 in a 179 awesome for steep and precise skiing. Super easy and intuitive (although the recent windbuff crud we’re dealing with makes them less ideal - the 186 would be better here for sure)

I’ve been skiing the updated anima as my pow ski this year, it’s great too. That said, I’m still looking for something even easier going / playful just to change it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Shit, you have my attention now.

Always interesting to hear what other WB skiers are enjoying……for steep and precise skiing.

Super easy and intuitive…I’m still looking for something even easier going / playful just to change it up.
    Ya it meets all those criteria very well.
    At WB all we really do is steep and precise skiing. The Blank’s rocker profile nailed it for that type of skiing.

Both my 179cm E104 and 178cm Blanks are mounted at -6.3cm. Maybe that’s why they feel so similar. The Blank is easy and capable, like the E104 but in a wider ski. Which I like for WB.

Think of the offspring from a “three way” between a Dynastar M-Free (turny) and a E104 (damp yet easy) and an R11 (competent everywhere).

Funny how the Blank is so boring and white on the topsheet yet so bright and colourful on the bottom.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-21-2021 at 02:24 PM.

I also wonder how the Blank compares to the ON3P Woodsman 110 or 116. I have a WD116 and fondled a Blank and they seem quite similar outside the sidecut radius.

Not sure if I mentioned but I'll mount them with Shifts so that's why I have second thoughts for the 194. Not goint to do your days but my best lines require some skinning so the added 200 grams / ski would be noticeable. Anyone knows the actual length of the 194? Never had a pair above 190 cm true length.
    192.5cm straight pull on the pair of 194s that just showed up on my doorstep 15 minutes ago

KC... I'm looking forward to your medium-long term rundown of these skis later this year.

The blank looks fun but I feel like it's not different enough from my older rocker2 122s (actually 115 under foot in the 180cm size)... but the MB116 looks intriguing to me.

And this is really just navel gazing anyway as I have pretty much every condition covered in 2 (or maybe 3) skis already... but its fun to dream.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I’m really curious to demo the blanks. QST 106 is ok at everything and really good at nothing. QST 118 however was a great and highly under rated ski. My initial assumption would be that I’d hate the turn radius of the blank. But I initially thought the 118 would be crap until I skied them. In general I’m not a fan of Salomon but I can get them for comically cheap, hence the interest.

Get the 194 Blanks. They ski really short.

Everything said above is spot on for the Blanks. I grabbed them last Friday and my first day of the season, with minimal preseason ski workouts, I was able to ski knee deep heavy untouched pow. You feel crossing other tracks in them, but not like a soft noodle would get stopped.

They are pure cheaters. Found my Gunsmoke replacement. A lot of skis lost spots in my quiver when the Blanks moved in.

Next year my MB116Cs that I only tour on may go up for sale and second pair of Blanks will become my touring ski because they are that good. The Kaestle BMX115s that previously you would of had to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get me to let them go. They may go for up for sale.

Between the R9 and Blanks, I rarely have grabbed anything else since about the second half of last season. And when I do, I’m sort of bored on what ever ski I grab.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hi,

Quick response….

I own both the 2021 Rustler 11 with Pivots and this year’s 2022 Salomon Blanks with STH. I also previously owned the 2019 Rustler with Shifts.

I’m 5’7”, 165 lbs and have the 180cm R11 (+1cm mount) and 178cm QST Blank (+1.5cm mount) btw.

Only 1 pretty deep day on the Blanks so far, but have numerous days on Rustler 11s.

Initial impression….the R11 is an awesome all around ski. Does everything well from pow to steeps to trees to groomers. Competent everywhere and still easy.

The Blanks felt like a cheater ski cause it was so easy at everything. Competent and effortless in one.

The tip and tail rocker is a lot on the Blanks. A lot. See pic…compare ski #4 (R11) and #5 (Blank) below. Therefore, the Blanks do ski shorter than the R11s in comparable lengths. The Blank is definitely one of the most maneuverable wide skis I’ve ever been on. Quick turns are just effortless and intuitive. More so than the Rustler. So the Blank is a really really good tree ski. When it’s tight. Yet it didn’t feel too short as it still ripped pow packed groomers when you lay it over on edge.

Name:	IMG_3884.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	397520

Name:	IMG_3886.JPG 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	397521

Not as much float as some 112mm skis….I was definitely in the snow, not on it, but they handled this:

Name:	66155981512__99D860D2-10C2-400A-AD9A-AEDC55A904B2.JPG 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	397528

Name:	IMG_4054.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	397529
    You still have the Reckoner 112s as well?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    You still have the Reckoner 112s as well?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Sold the Reckoner 112s. Sadly. But made small profit even selling them on eBay. Had too many skis in the 112mm range. Once I bought the Blanks, the Reckoners had to go.

Will probably buy Reckoners again one day.

Just thought of another great ski that I owned previously (and regret selling) that the Blank reminds me of….but again just a bit wider, and a bit lighter….

180cm J Ski Metal.

Thinking of selling my Rustler 11s and putting Marker Duke PTs on the Blanks (which are currently mounted with STHs). Blanks are too much fun.

R11s may be the perfect one ski quiver ski, but with the Blanks and 8 other skis in the quiver they never get used.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-29-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Your driving me more into this even more

quick Question :

I have an option for a 194 pair at a super discounted price but it has a small dent into one of the skis . Should I worry or just go for it ?

Name:	Pic Ski.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	399508.

Name:  Pic Ski2.jpeg
Views: 1621
Size:  2.7 KB

I've been on QST 106 for the last few years and am thinking I want a powder ski just for fun. Are the Blanks really a step up in fun/powder than the 106? Considering Blank or Rustler for a powder ski compliment but also probably dont need the extra width for most of my days. Now that I'm middle age, married with a baby my quiver is much smaller than it used to be so looking for more of a two ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    I've been on QST 106 for the last few years and am thinking I want a powder ski just for fun. Are the Blanks really a step up in fun/powder than the 106? Considering Blank or Rustler for a powder ski compliment but also probably dont need the extra width for most of my days. Now that I'm middle age, married with a baby my quiver is much smaller than it used to be so looking for more of a two ski quiver.
    They definitely are, but honestly not quite as much as I was anticipating. It really depends on how much separation you want / how powder-focused and different you want the powder ski in your 2-ski quiver to be. For example, I feel like my Protests probably do 85-90% of what the Blank does on firmer / chopped snow, while doing 150% of what the Blank can do in pow. Meaning they do everything in pow better - pivot, surf, slash, float, etc. while not giving up very much in packed pow or on the groomer back to the lift. This is probably obvious but... at 112mm and the Blank only being 6mm wider than the QST106, you're going to get more separation, better powder performance and something surfier out of something a little wider - I would say ~115mm+ - which might be more suitable for just a 2-ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    They definitely are, but honestly not quite as much as I was anticipating. It really depends on how much separation you want / how powder-focused and different you want the powder ski in your 2-ski quiver to be. For example, I feel like my Protests probably do 85-90% of what the Blank does on firmer / chopped snow, while doing 150% of what the Blank can do in pow. Meaning they do everything in pow better - pivot, surf, slash, float, etc. while not giving up very much in packed pow or on the groomer back to the lift. This is probably obvious but... at 112mm and the Blank only being 6mm wider than the QST106, you're going to get more separation, better powder performance and something surfier out of something a little wider - I would say ~115mm+ - which might be more suitable for just a 2-ski quiver.
    All good points. Probably just need to buck up and buy a Billy Goat.