Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ascent plates vs Auftriib Cramplifier

Anybody use the Auftriib Cramplifier?

Seems about half the weight of the Billy Goat Ascent Plate.

I like the design of the cramplifier, hesitating on the $200 price.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I messed around with Send cut send and built a knock off of the crampows for just over $60. Been meaning to make a dedicated post in the tech forum about it but haven't gotten around to it yet. I made things simpler/cheaper by using a flat aluminum plate as the base instead of their fancy bends.

You could definitely do a similar clone of the cramplifier with a little few more hours of computer drawing and the end product would probably be closer in terms of performance to the original than what I came up with. Cloning the cramplifier would be a good bit cheaper <$40 since you wouldn't need any other hardware.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9695 copy.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	397790

swissiphic made the dairylanders which are very similar in design out of milk crates from the dairy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I bought carbon sheets, pressed and laminated them into carbon ascent plates for my crampons and boots using a mold a buddy made. Was simple enough, lght, sturdy and they work perfectly l. Cost about 60 bucks in materials.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4782 (2).jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	407159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4785 (2).jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	407156

I'd buy some of those plates if you made some more... they look great

Me too.
    So did you buy prepreg uncured sheets and did a vacuum mold?

or already layed up sheets, made a mold and pressed? Wouldn't that just crack the sheets?

Thanks

Me three!

Do they work with your Tx Pros? I have to use the semi-auto toe bails with my Irvis Hybrids and Tx Pros, since the toe lug is too wide for the wire bail.

Also, do you have to re-adjust you crampon length to work with the plates, or is the length the same as without the plates?
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Nice work!! Consider me next in line if you decide to start selling some!

Don't think I'll be selling any as with my slow work process my hourly pay would be pathetic. Maybe I should start a kickstarter to fund a press :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Me three!

Do they work with your Tx Pros? I have to use the semi-auto toe bails with my Irvis Hybrids and Tx Pros, since the toe lug is too wide for the wire bail.

Also, do you have to re-adjust you crampon length to work with the plates, or is the length the same as without the plates?
    Yes works perfect with Leopard Leverlock and the lenght is the same with or without.

The folder linked below has a CAD file based on F33d3r's design. I built those around 303 BSL boot and the irvis hybrid crampon so if you have a different set up you'll have to modify the design.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xnG6tcb5oeoENoxXjpFD2oI2vjnkDAp3?usp=sharing

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.16.33 PM.png
Views: 3990
Size:  28.3 KB

SendCutSend puts a pair of those made of of aluminium at $32 shipped which is pretty darn cheap.

I made the file with the free program InkScape and an hour or two of youtube tutorials. Modifying the .svg file is probably best done by changing the coordinates of the nodes that need to be moved rather than any freehand adjustments.

The Crampow knockoff I made used 6061 aluminium at 0.125" thickness which was super burly. My 165# plus gear stomping around on them could not get even the smallest flex or bend. For this next iteration, I am going to do the same alloy but try out 0.080" thickness instead. If you feel like getting fancy with other materials there are lots to choose from but they are all a lot more expensive. The next step up I would consider is getting 0.1" 0.080" 7075 aluminum from Oshcut which would run you ~$45.

Also here is a pair with vertical toe slots that should be more tolerant of different BSLs. Name:  Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.23.55 PM.png
Views: 3992
Size:  21.8 KB

^ so are you gently bending the left and right borders with a radiused crease ? Or just keeping them flat?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Places that do HVAC systems probably have a sheet metal press brake that could put a clean 90 degree bend along the edges in return for a six pack.

While 1000 Oaks is right, I was just going to keep them flat for simplicity and to make them a bit more packable. From playing around with different versions the crampon teeth seem to give more than enough lateral stability on a flat plate.

Just some updates.

I just got my pair in the mail a few days ago and had a few changes. The toe bail slot works well for petzl irvis crampons but would need to be made bigger (wider-vertically) for BD crampons. The main shortcoming of the initial design is the slots for the vertical boot holding tabs on the heel piece (not the heel bail) were not wide enough so I had to file middle part down a bit. see the photo. I just updated the svg file in the google folder linked below with the changes to the heel and making the toe slot a little wider but probably not wide enough for BD crampons. I used the 0.08 in 6061 aluminum which did have a bit of flex to it by hand. If you are a big dude, I'm 165 and the 0.08 inch seems fine, I might consider bumping up to the ).125 inch aluminum. For editing the svg in inkscape you should be able to select all the nodes for the bottom half of the plate and move them vertically up or down to make the plat smaller or longer depending on your BSL without too much issue.

Here is a link to a photo of what I changed for the next go round. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tN4vYtRE56RTrzJx5

Other than that an around the house test seemed pretty promising. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Send cut send really likes people to use the .eps format fyi.

Its been dry in EU, but hoping this upcoming system will produce so I can get out on the auftribs. Leopards and Irvis, so no new info on fit, here.

I had outstanding results with Blaster’s design; I took a pair to AK and used em for a solid handful of days going straight up couloirs for hours. Excellent execution, if sendcutsend would bend down the edges maybe a thinner alu would be good, but mine pack so small that i really wouldn’t change anything. Five star design Blaster!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Man that's super cool Blaster! I don't do a ton of booting up pow filled couloirs but at 35 bucks a pair I may as well consider a pair of these!

Thanks, I'm glad they were useful to some folks. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions when making an order. I'm working on some refinements to get better compatibility with BD crampons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Just some updates.

I just got my pair in the mail a few days ago and had a few changes. The toe bail slot works well for petzl irvis crampons but would need to be made bigger (wider-vertically) for BD crampons. The main shortcoming of the initial design is the slots for the vertical boot holding tabs on the heel piece (not the heel bail) were not wide enough so I had to file middle part down a bit. see the photo. I just updated the svg file in the google folder linked below with the changes to the heel and making the toe slot a little wider but probably not wide enough for BD crampons. I used the 0.08 in 6061 aluminum which did have a bit of flex to it by hand. If you are a big dude, I'm 165 and the 0.08 inch seems fine, I might consider bumping up to the ).125 inch aluminum. For editing the svg in inkscape you should be able to select all the nodes for the bottom half of the plate and move them vertically up or down to make the plat smaller or longer depending on your BSL without too much issue.

Here is a link to a photo of what I changed for the next go round. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tN4vYtRE56RTrzJx5

Other than that an around the house test seemed pretty promising. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Send cut send really likes people to use the .eps format fyi.
    This is awesome! Considering getting a pair myself, though I may model them more after the BGT plates (if I do do something different I'll upload a file here).

Did you manage to test the 0.80" aluminum in the field? Was the flexing an issue at all?

Heads up. I own a pair of French made plates, aluminum.

They need to be pretty stiff, because if you climb a couloir, often you need to penetrate the hard layer and you need to kick pretty hard.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Heads up. I own a pair of French made plates, aluminum.

They need to be pretty stiff, because if you climb a couloir, often you need to penetrate the hard layer and you need to kick pretty hard.

Any idea how thick the aluminum is? Looks like the BGT plates are 0.90", so not thaaat much more than the 0.80" from SendCutSend but they do get a lot of additional strength from the bent edges.

https://www.snowplak.com/index.php/p...plak-approach/

I emailed them

Mine are in France.

2mm, but pay attention to the shape in the front to penetrate ice

Thanks Rod! Hadn't seen that style of plate before. They also have curved edges contributing to stability I see.