Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I like them. The strap they use, like the ones on verts really suck.
    I replaced them with voile straps, much easier to tighten and take off. And also more secure. Btw, i also use voile straps for my camp crampons, much easier to put on and more secure.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I went out and tried to break my sendcutsent plates with the 0.80" 6061 aluminum today on some fairly consolidated spring snow without any luck. While I'm only 160# before a pack, I did a few hundred feet of aggressive french stepping, which should be where these plates should be the weakest. I didn't get any bending. Pure speculation but my guess is that you'd have to be well over 200# and or really be intent on breaking them to get a failure.

I will say that front pointing is really the best way to use these plates and that has held up super well. The points of the crampon stick out enough for getting through some firm sections. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1080 copy.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	418096

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Any idea how thick the aluminum is? Looks like the BGT plates are 0.90", so not thaaat much more than the 0.80" from SendCutSend but they do get a lot of additional strength from the bent edges.

Blaster, great work on these!

2 quick questions:
    1) do you think that your vertical design will work with a BSL of 318-325
    2) now that you've used them for a little longer, any long-term(ish) issues with them?

Haven’t managed to break them, but I’m only 165# with ski boots on. If you are extra heavy or nervous about that just go with the next thicker gauge metal. I used that for early prototypes and can’t really imagine a scenario where they would break and the user would still be alive.

For a 318-325 bsl you might want to make a longer plate. The notch for the heel bail is only 3 cm long. I’ll make a few more designs for different bsl’s and post them to the same folder in the next few days.

Updated the folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link) with better instructions and there are currently versions for 286+, 303+, and 313+ BSLs. Right now I only have designs that work with Petzl crampons but will get around to BD versions in the next month. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Inflation bumped the cost up to 45-50$ per pair for the .080" thickness $63 for the .125" thickness.

So, I've also been working on something sorta similar! I have the BGT plates, and while I like them, they're overkill for most of what I do. So I put together my own version, made out of Jbond (a 3mm thick aluminum/polyethylene laminate). I took them for a spin Saturday and they worked really well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4942 2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	439039

Name:	IMG_4945.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	439040

I used the strap-on version Saturday, and I'd say they do 85% of what the BGT plates do. The other 15% is due to the lack of crampons. They weight about 200g (way lighter than the others) and pack flat.

They won't be as durable as the BGT plates, which is fine by me, I'm planning on only using them in soft snow, but Sunday I ended up front pointing about 50 vertical feet of rock/mud under facets in them, and while they got dinged up, they still work great.

I make a bunch of art prints on Jbond anyway, so I'm gonna make a run or two of these and sell them for around $30, if anybody wants a pair!

Interested

I'm game for a pair, sounds like they'll work for the 2 days a year I wish I had something like this

Ascent plates vs Auftriib Cramplifier

I’d probably go for a least a pair, ill also ask around my local crew- might be more interest. I love my full alu ones but they are heavy. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by riff; 12-21-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    Gravity always wins...

I'm also interested. One, maybe two pairs

Also in for at least one pair and maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I'm game for a pair, sounds like they'll work for the 2 days a year I wish I had something like this
    Yep, that's basically the perfect use case. I ski <10 days a year where I want plates. And for those days, the other options on the market are overkill. I've got materials on the way, and should be mailing out the first batch between Xmas and New Years. I'll post on my instagram, and in this thread when they're available!

Nice work! This is why I love this place. Shred on

Instead of the Cramplifiers, Auftriib talked me into getting their Saucers since you add and remove with crampons on. No, I haven't used them yet, yes they are crazy expensive. But they are super light and arrived in only a few days

Name:	PXL_20221126_045925307.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	439153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221126_045946335.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	439154

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Instead of the Cramplifiers, Auftriib talked me into getting their Saucers since you add and remove with crampons on. No, I haven't used them yet, yes they are crazy expensive. But they are super light and arrived in only a few days

Name:	PXL_20221126_045925307.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	439153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221126_045946335.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	439154
    Do you have a weight for the saucer vs cramplifier?

What were the arguments in favor of the saucer?

I really like the look of those carbon ones with a voile strap to attach over cramps- might try modding a cutout on cyd’s to achieve a similar effect….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    So, I've also been working on something sorta similar! I have the BGT plates, and while I like them, they're overkill for most of what I do. So I put together my own version, made out of Jbond (a 3mm thick aluminum/polyethylene laminate). I took them for a spin Saturday and they worked really well.

Name:	IMG_4942 2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	439039

Name:	IMG_4945.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	439040

I used the strap-on version Saturday, and I'd say they do 85% of what the BGT plates do. The other 15% is due to the lack of crampons. They weight about 200g (way lighter than the others) and pack flat.

They won't be as durable as the BGT plates, which is fine by me, I'm planning on only using them in soft snow, but Sunday I ended up front pointing about 50 vertical feet of rock/mud under facets in them, and while they got dinged up, they still work great.

I make a bunch of art prints on Jbond anyway, so I'm gonna make a run or two of these and sell them for around $30, if anybody wants a pair!
    I'd be interested I'll message you when I hear they are ready on IG

If you want my cheapo version, here's the link: http://bemorestoked.com/sale/snow-stomper-plates

I'll be cranking to fulfill and ship all orders within 5-7 days for the first month or so, and then will figure out batching after that. So if you want them guaranteed fast, order now.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    If you want my cheapo version, here's the link: http://bemorestoked.com/sale/snow-stomper-plates

I'll be cranking to fulfill and ship all orders within 5-7 days for the first month or so, and then will figure out batching after that. So if you want them guaranteed fast, order now.
    Order placed I'm stoked. Thx Cy

Cy will the strap-on version also work with crampons or are they each single purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by tuowtraws View Post
    Cy will the strap-on version also work with crampons or are they each single purpose?
    They're pretty single-purpose. It would be easy to modify a strap-on plate to fit your crampons, just cut a notch in the front and back with a jig saw with a metal blade, but I couldn't figure out how to make a version that fit both, and was pretty universal for crampons unfortunately.

Order placed! Psyched to give them a try

Order placed! Stoked!

Any chance you would sell a pair with just the outer shape, no notches or slots? I'm interested in making something like the Auftriib Saucer.

Thanks all for the orders!

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Any chance you would sell a pair with just the outer shape, no notches or slots? I'm interested in making something like the Auftriib Saucer.

Sure, I actually messed around with something like that and eventually abandoned it, but you're welcome to go for it! PM me and I'll get ya sorted!