Boots stuck in like new dynafit rotations.

Has anyone seen this before? They felt totally fine on the uphill. They are completely stuck. I think I might need to remove the bindings? Why would this happen? I might have an alpine sole I can switch it out with but I'm pretty annoyed.

Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  175.8 KB

No idea/ never seen it cuz usually the boot won't stay in but If you can't figure out whats going on look at/ work the other ski binding to see what is supposed to happen when you push down on that lever
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Luckily I had some non-gripwalk soles for the lupos that I threw on and it seems to be ok now. I feel like this tolerance is just way too small. It occurs when the boot is at a 90 degree angle from the binding. Just a matter of time before it happens again.

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  100.5 KB

what's that boot?
    Maybe dynafit does their bindings to be no longer compatible with boots that have a proper toe that might clamp into alpine style binders, too. Just wild guessing but I think I have heard about such things... (like here (https://kundalini.ch/2018/12/02/komp...taetsprobleme/), check with google translate, but ST Rotations look pretty good)
    Last edited by LeoK; 12-17-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot link

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    what's that boot?
    Maybe dynafit does their bindings to be no longer compatible with boots that have a proper toe that might clamp into alpine style binders, too. Just wild guessing but I think I have heard about such things... (like here (https://kundalini.ch/2018/12/02/komp...taetsprobleme/), check with google translate, but ST Rotations look pretty good)
    Dalbello lupo factories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Dalbello lupo factories

That is seriously whacked! I had Lupos and used them in Dynafit Rotations, Verticals, Tectons, Kingpin. I'd try your other boot in that same binding and see how it works ( or doesn't). It may be an out of spec toepiece or boot toe fitting and that's one way to rule things out

Looks like you could dremel a channel in the GripWalk soles where the lever is mashing the sole block in your top picture and get the GW soles to work - there are some OEM touring soles that come with such a slot.

It’s the weirdest thing. I bought some alpine soles just in case my old griffons wouldn’t work with grip walk (luckily) and they seem to have that cutout. Both of my bindings were actually pulling on the soles but only one locked up. After switching soles they seem to be ok although it is an extremely tight clearance. Can anyone else take a photo of the clearance they have? I’m thinking I may need to stock up on soles if I want my boots to last for 8+ years. I am a bit disappointed that it was a critical failure. Had I actually fell my bindings were not releasing no matter what. It concerns me for long tours. I love these boots and used kingpins for 3 years with zero issues.

Here is a pic of the alpine soles.

this is a print medium and so your post made absolutely no fucking sense in general
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this is a print medium and so your post made absolutely no fucking sense in general
    What does that even mean

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Looks like you could dremel a channel in the GripWalk soles where the lever is mashing the sole block in your top picture and get the GW soles to work - there are some OEM touring soles that come with such a slot.
    ^^ this. Is there a reason toasty doesn’t want to do this?

The distance between tech inserts and front tip of the sole varies. It’s longer by 4mm on my transalp pros compared to my F1s. No issues in any of my bindings but I don’t have Rotations.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    ^^ this. Is there a reason toasty doesn’t want to do this?

The distance between tech inserts and front tip of the sole varies. It’s longer by 4mm on my transalp pros compared to my F1s. No issues in any of my bindings but I don’t have Rotations.
    It's a good solution. I do use my boots in traditional bindings so I wanted to see if that spacing is normal for other people before possibly affecting the release by using a dremel. I also have never dremeled rubber before... I switched both toe pieces to the non-gripwalk soles and there is 1-2mm.

I have no experience with the Rotations, but a bunch with Radicals.
    If I had ever gotten the boot stuck in the toe, I could just ski it somewhere I absolutely don't want the toe to release.