Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Bright Headlights the New Tiny Dick Flex?

WTF is going on with headlights these days. Granted there are a lot of lifted brodozers around here, but it goes way beyond those.

Getting blinded on the regular these days by sedans and crossovers, ya know, average cars and their ridiculously bright low beams… Dafuq?! To me it’s just as much of a hazard when they’re behind you too, because it completely prevents one from using their mirrors for anything.

Why should I have to compromise my own safety for your overly bright and shitily aimed headlights?

So, do I just turn on my brights anytime I’m blinded by an approaching vehicle and can’t see the road in front of me? Turn my mirrors out to try and redirect the light back at their shitbird eyes? What is a human to do?

The proliferation of cheap bright AF Retrofit LED bulbs in housings they don't belong in, with no cutoff.

It's the height. Even "crossover" headlights are much higher and in your face or right in your mirror.

At least adaptive headlights are on the way - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...ture-bill-law/

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    The proliferation of cheap bright AF Retrofit LED bulbs in housings they don't belong in, with no cutoff.
    This.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I need a hudge James bond style retractable concave mirror on the back of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    At least adaptive headlights are on the way - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...ture-bill-law/
    Yay. Because this shit is getting worse with all the old boomers driving around with their high beams on permanently.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    So, do I just turn on my brights anytime I’m blinded by an approaching vehicle and can’t see the road in front of me? Turn my mirrors out to try and redirect the light back at their shitbird eyes? What is a human to do?
    I do both of these. Fuckem all

What is a human to do?
    Laser.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

And there is DEFINITELY a correlation between the drivers with insanely bright lights that are pointed exactly through your rear window and tailgating. Super aggro driving in brodozers seem to be the worst offenders. A large Venn diagram could be made from those two demos alone.

Damn near got taken out on the highway the other night by one. NOBODY in the left lane so he had all the opportunity in the world to pass. I was chilling at speed limit in my mommy-mobile, but nope. Asshole comes out of nowhere, wanting to go warp speed and gotta beam the shit out of me with his headlights 3 inches off my bumper. Then after a few miles of driving like that, he does that whole swerve hard to pass move, missing me by inches, engine roaring, as he swerves back to the right lane to do the same thing to the NEXT guy ahead. Passing lane still totally clear. Some serious 'roid rage going on out there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Yep. And the DOT is to blame for the no cutoff. Euro spec headlights are so much better. As are Euro drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Laser.
    When I was a young buck on Long Island a buddy of mine got a job at Symbol technologies which made all the laser stuff for grocery stores laser barcode scanning back in the '80s.
    He was an electrical engineer and wound up with a handheld water pistol mounted red laser that would plug into his cigarette lighter.
    oh boy the trouble we caused with that thing on the roadways.
    Surprised we didn't get shot or arrested

So, do I just turn on my brights anytime I’m blinded by an approaching vehicle and can’t see the road in front of me?
    This can backfire. I flashed my brights at an oncoming truck because I was being blinded and thought for sure he was on high beams. This offended him so badly that he showed me what bright really was and left them on. It was like trying to see with a setting sun directly on the road in front of you.

I seriously hate this. However I recently bought a new tundra and I think I’m one of the offenders now. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I seriously hate this. However I recently bought a new tundra and I think I’m one of the offenders now. Sorry.
    Same, but new Tacoma. I notice that while the headlights are seriously bright, the low beams have a definite cut off level. I just make sure I stay back far enough from the person in front of me that I'm not illuminating above their trunk level.

I think massive compressed-sunlight bars pair well with a Carolina squat.

I still call it The Jake.

What I don't get is how is it legal for manufacturers to have truck headlights aimed as such out of the factory? Dodge Ram used to not be bad, as they had their headlights positioned at a reasonable level. The new Silverados, though. WTF?!

And Ford screwed headlights up so bad that they actually had to issue a recall: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...dlight-recall/

Nice headlights…..

Name:  IMG_3841.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  29.0 KB

Search results for “boob headlights” also came with this result.
    Name:  IMG_3840.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  8.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^ that second pic is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Same, but new Tacoma. I notice that while the headlights are seriously bright, the low beams have a definite cut off level. I just make sure I stay back far enough from the person in front of me that I'm not illuminating above their trunk level.
    I don't find Toyota factory headlights to be that bad.

Aftermarket add-ons are definitely the worst because they get aimed by the idiots that buy them, followed by suv type vehicles with aftermarket bulbs in headlights that look like this
    Name:  poslights.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  166.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Tundra has a headlight tilt mechanism. I think there are 4 positions which significantly change the angle. After a bit of trial and error I set mine in the middle.

I'm at a 2 on my Tundra level.

The aftermarket brights are because people are cheap but want to look "cool". Easy to spot the offending cars during the day that will blind you at night.

It's been a while, but I've had cars in the past that had bubble levels built in to the headlight assemblies for adjusting the vertical tilt. They REALLY need to bring those back.

I had a guy behind me once in N AZ on a looonnnggggg stretch of 2 lane highway. No opposing traffic at all and plenty of passing opportunity, but he just hung out right behind me with his brights on. So I had all the time in the world to aim my mirrors and get the perfect reflection back at him. You could tell exactly when I got it just right because he backed off a ways, and eventually turned his brights off. Still stayed behind me though.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I need a hudge James bond style retractable concave mirror on the back of the vehicle.
    Shit, Bond had a ton cooler toys than that. Did you see the retro Gatling guns out of the headlights in the new movie, pulling donuts in an Italian square? Awesome.

Protip: "Night Driving Glasses" typically have bright yellow lenses. Get sum if you're bothered by ghetto leds, especially if you have a little bitty car that sits so low you're getting blasted by everyone's headlights.
    If you've ever worn goggles or shooting glasses with bright yellow lenses, you know how they can brighten up a dark day, and add tons of contrast to force-huck flat light... But at night, they totally take the edge off leds and misdirected hids.