Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I hate jacket hoods. change my mind

I hate them. on any mid or baselayer, but especially on puffies. They dont layer, unless you like having 13 hoods back there as a headrest. They cover your eyes when you turn your head. And unless it is negatavive gabillions degrees they arent more useful than a gaiter and a beanie, both of which are modular.

is it cuz they look cool?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I hate them. on any mid or baselayer, but especially on puffies. They dont layer, unless you like having 13 hoods back there as a headrest. They cover your eyes when you turn your head. And unless it is negatavive gabillions degrees they arent more useful than a gaiter and a beanie, both of which are modular.

is it cuz they look cool?
    Weird. I won’t even consider a puffy that doesn’t have a hood. Noticeable difference in warmth when you pull a puffy hood up over everything else.

But maybe I am using the puffy differently? For me, it’s a go over everything layer when I have to quit moving.

I’m a hood person. I always tell people “a hood can save your life”.

Yes beanies and gaiters are modular. But, it’s impossible to lose a hood. Also I don’t necessarily wear the hood under my shell but roll it up and place it comfortably behind my neck just below the helmet - it adds warmth without bulk to that area.

I'm with you, but, I want to take it further and eliminate high collars on some puffy and mid layers. You get a doubling and sometimes tripling of collars, two of which I don't need and just irritate the fuck out of me around the neck. Add the now necessary buff that doubles as a mask, and the problem is obvious. I have an old EMS fleece with no collar, and I wish I could find more.

Lose the hoods. they suck with helmets.. Bring back old school full turtlenecks. GTFO with the lower mock T and zippered shit.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hoods also mess with my scarf wearing. A scarf can save your life… hoods, not so much. Ever try to apply direct pressure, sling/splint a broken appendage, or flag someone down with a hood? A hood has also never been accused of dressing something up and being stylish. Fuck ‘em

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Hoods also mess with my scarf wearing. A scarf can save your life… hoods, not so much. Ever try to apply direct pressure, sling/splint a broken appendage, or flag someone down with a hood? A hood has also never been accused of dressing something up and being stylish. Fuck ‘em
    I bought a fairly expensive high end ski jacket on line. It had many nice features and is generally a nice jacket, but the claim of "helmet compatability" was a complete scam. You cannot possibly wear it under your helmet and there is no way it comes close to fitting over it. Just an big collar that is in the way most of the time.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Ooh a scarf sounds interesting now. Thanks!

*Every year 35 people are strangled to death by their own scarves*

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I bought a fairly expensive high end ski jacket on line. It had many nice features and is generally a nice jacket, but the claim of "helmet compatability" was a complete scam. You cannot possibly wear it under your helmet and there is no way it comes close to fitting over it. Just an big collar that is in the way most of the time.
    Lemme guess… Patagonia?

Patagonia hood works just fine over my bulbous POC helmet.

It's almost as if... different things work for different people. Go figure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I’m a hood person. I always tell people “a hood can save your life”.

Yes beanies and gaiters are modular. But, it’s impossible to lose a hood. Also I don’t necessarily wear the hood under my shell but roll it up and place it comfortably behind my neck just below the helmet - it adds warmth without bulk to that area.
    ok that's +1 for headrest argument

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's almost as if... different things work for different people. Go figure.
    nope. this is america

Riding the chairlift with a cold wind on your back, snowing heavily... pop that hood up and Fortress of Solitude during the ride

Name:  5871709c7b7f6103e35c6cb5.png
Views: 607
Size:  9.4 KB
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Not a fan of hoods - the sounds they create when I move drives me nuts, they get in the way of my pack, and more often than not fill with snow if not managed well. I like scarves for the neck, and with a wool toque or my muskrat fur hat with a full head of hair, my noggin is usually protected just fine.

That said, all my hardshells and my one puffy have hoods, and when I am sitting in one spot for a bit and the weather is cold and shitty, they are a god-send. Mandatory that they also fit well over all my helmets.

Is this Ski Talk?
    Training for Alpental

Without the hoody how would the police know whom to shoot on site ?

Hoods are a must have cuz they are warmer which is the whole point of wearing clothing

a thin soft shell or hoody just goes under the helmet ... very warm
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I see I have stiff competition for the "I don't know how to dress myself" award
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Without the hoody how would the police know whom to shoot on site ?

Hoods are a must have cuz they are warmer which is the whole point of wearing clothing

a thin soft shell or hoody just goes under the helmet ... very warm
    Yeah, does Patagonia still sell that hooded first layer? I remember seeing it in a store and thinking, huh, good idea, but, never bought one.

I knew we had some resident savages here, but damn, can’t imagine not having a hood on a piece of outerwear.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hate that almost every jacket comes with a hood. Hoods are for pussies.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, does Patagonia still sell that hooded first layer? I remember seeing it in a store and thinking, huh, good idea, but, never bought one.
    the R-1 Techface hoody, I usualy take medium but I had to go small, the R-1 techface fabric is is on the lighter/ breathable side as soft shells go so its got great venting but with some warmth I like it a lot so I tried to buy another but its already gone

I think Patagucci also have or had a layer they called R-1 which is like a quilted midlayer ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bald guys love the hood.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    I hate that almost every jacket comes with a hood. Hoods are for pussies.
    Never stuck on a Vermont lift as it stops and you get hammered from the rear with 40mph winds on a 15 degree day, I assume.