Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Surely these parents believe in individual responsibility.
    Individual responsibility for *other* people.

That's great that some schools are closing because of this. Now we can expect more of these kinds of pranks if kids think it will get them out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Individual responsibility for *other* people.
    Yeah, their little Timmy is a perfect angel, it's probably that bad crowd and "woke" teachers letting them get away with it. How dare you question their parenting, do you know how much money they make? Pfffttt, teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's great that some schools are closing because of this. Now we can expect more of these kinds of pranks if kids think it will get them out of school.
    Like unplugging school buses.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Banning TikTok is a good idea. It's not Trump's idea. So absolutely no credit given.
    Shutting down tik tok only relocates the same behavior to other online venues.. Hold the kids and their parents responsible for any actual bad behavior and punish in proportion to the impact of said bad behavior. If talking or writing about dumb ideas was illegal everyone would be in jail.. Every video game would be banned, and every book burned..

I'm only for banning things that are designed to only do massive harm when actually used for the purpose they were designed for..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As I computer person, I will unequivocally state that the internet and social media ruined humanity in my unscholarly opinion. Even Usenet, which I maintain we never should have "progressed" beyond, had real world consequences, aka Scott Abraham. Which tells me the masses never should have been allowed access. I have neo-Luddite leanings.

This. About a week or two ago, we had a lockdown at one of the local high schools due to a gun threat. Within a few days there were copycat threats at half the schools in the county.

I just hope nothing terrible happens today...or any other day. So damn dumb.

Banning any of these dumb social media platforms (and I do appreciate the irony of posting this on a social media "platform") is dumb.

If it's not TikTok it'll be something else.

I mean - do we really start *that* game of whack-a-mole? It would be folly.
    ...sigh... Yeah. You're right. Some other tech bro a-holes would rise to the occasion and replace it in about 5 milliseconds. I don't know what it is about TikTok specifically though that REALLY brings out the stupid in people. I know all forms of social media are famous for stirring up problematic behavior, but TikTok seems particularly vile. Perhaps some IRL consequences should be in order, as in nut kicks for anybody caught participating in any stupid "challenge." Enforceable by their peers.

Truth is, we ALL did dumb stuff as kids. Difference is we didn't freaking document it all for the world to see. The internet has given rise to next level narcissim, though. It's bizarre behavior, and sadly THIS pandemic is global. It's in full swing in places like South Korea and India for example. Dear Earth: Sorry we couldn't keep the stupid contained.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I just hope nothing terrible happens today...or any other day. So damn dumb.
    It's got to be pretty stressful being a school administrator these days.

BTW, one of the few voices of sanity these days is joeybtoonz. Love his TikTok roasts:

^yep, tells it exactly how it is

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As I computer person, I will unequivocally state that the internet and social media ruined humanity in my unscholarly opinion. Even Usenet, which I maintain we never should have "progressed" beyond, had real world consequences, aka Scott Abraham. Which tells me the masses never should have been allowed access. I have neo-Luddite leanings.
    A few weeks ago I reluctantly tuned into JRE because Tristan Harris and Daniel Schmactenberger were the guests (luckily Joe doesn't talk much, if anyone can point to another 3-hour interview with those two I'm all ears). By the end of the interview it was hard to come to any conclusion other than that we're totally fucked.

Don't forget Mike V.

Fucking morans.

I think the word "challenge" is grossly overused and misapplied these days.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This. About a week or two ago, we had a lockdown at one of the local high schools due to a gun threat. Within a few days there were copycat threats at half the schools in the county.
    Do you want to be the one to say "this ones just a hoax, let's open school"?

Eventually there will be those parents who opt for all remote learning.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That's the problem for sure. When something does happen there's always questioning the school for why they let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    China is winning the asymmetrical war.
    The CCP must be laughing their asses off.

My day ends in 4 minutes and I wasn't shot at school today.

Time for a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    ...sigh... Yeah. You're right. Some other tech bro a-holes would rise to the occasion and replace it in about 5 milliseconds. I don't know what it is about TikTok specifically though that REALLY brings out the stupid in people. I know all forms of social media are famous for stirring up problematic behavior, but TikTok seems particularly vile. Perhaps some IRL consequences should be in order, as in nut kicks for anybody caught participating in any stupid "challenge." Enforceable by their peers.

Truth is, we ALL did dumb stuff as kids. Difference is we didn't freaking document it all for the world to see. The internet has given rise to next level narcissim, though. It's bizarre behavior, and sadly THIS pandemic is global. It's in full swing in places like South Korea and India for example. Dear Earth: Sorry we couldn't keep the stupid contained.
    Nah, why do people paint and chisel their names on rocks and public spaces? This has been going on forever, it's just now there's a bigger audience. Realistically, there needs to be better regulation and moderation of media and stricter limits around access for minors. A big part of the tech formula was removing moderation/responsibility filters, but it's easy enough to reel it back if someone actually tries. The challenge is that there's a ton of people profiting from the disruptive patterns and disinformation it creates. I don't know a single person in tech that understands this stuff that actually engages on it except for family that aren't savvy.

or fer fuck sake, this is probably what shut down Fort Lewis College here in Durango on Wednesday- they caught the guy who said it was a "joke"

That's the problem for sure. When something does happen there's always questioning the school for why they let it happen.
    Kids these days don't seem to know shit, but one thing they do know is that crying sheep works in reverse.

Banning any of these dumb social media platforms (and I do appreciate the irony of posting this on a social media "platform") is dumb.

If it's not TikTok it'll be something else.

I mean - do we really start *that* game of whack-a-mole? It would be folly.
    That may be just the solution to metastatic social media: whack their dns as soon as it's detected. Social networks, especially large and influential take time to reform. Machine learning can be way faster than some guy with a hammer and >9000 proxies.

Think this agent provocateur shit aimed at children is fucking evil.

Eventually there will be those parents who opt for all remote learning.
    Between the pandemic and the recent smash and grab (also viral flash mob behavior) brick and mortar retail might be obsolete pretty soon.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

And it happened to be assembly day at my daughter’s school too. Threat plus everyone congregating in one general area?
    She said he’ll no I’m staying home.
    Going out to lunch now on a daddy daughter date.