Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: touring puffy

Oh my, truly the most under valued, hardest to find, essential touring gear.
    Sure there are occasions where you can keep your soft shell on for the down. Sometimes the Atom will work when it’s dry, but big days in weather requires more. This jacket that Arxteryx used to make has been my best friend for six years. Very breathable Gore-Tex shell, core loft insulation and and inner liner that’s designed to be thrown over snowy, soaking wet shells. It’s like having a cosy cabin rolled up in your pack. Sad they don’t make it anymore. I got it on pro deal but if I remember right, it was extremely pricey.
    Dynafit used to make a similar gore windproof with a mix of synthetic and down. Meteorite, I think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9586.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	397263

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Sure there are occasions where you can keep your soft shell on for the down. Sometimes the Atom will work when it’s dry, but big days in weather requires more. This jacket that Arxteryx used to make has been my best friend for six years. Very breathable Gore-Tex shell, core loft insulation and and inner liner that’s designed to be thrown over snowy, soaking wet shells. It’s like having a cosy cabin rolled up in your pack. Sad they don’t make it anymore. I got it on pro deal but if I remember right, it was extremely pricey.
    Dynafit used to make a similar gore windproof with a mix of synthetic and down. Meteorite, I think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9586.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	397263
    Arc’teryx Stikine. Always wondered how it performs.

Am I crazy to think that in the PNW that you can achieve this with high lofted/ultra breathable base and mid layer pieces and then a shell on top for transitions and skiing down? Like a mec t3/Patagonia capeliene thermal/air, some breathable mid layer like an R1/R2 or R1 tech face or wind shirt/ultralght soft shell? Provide ultra high breathability to allow you to fully breathe and wick sweat on the way up, and then a shell to block the wind and then the high loft without the ability to breathe will provide the insulation required?

touring puffy

Ok could not get passed the first page on the throne here but my 2 cents would be to look at an Eddie Bauer product called the

BC EverTherm Down Jacket

Sorry if mentioned on page 2 or 3

It is supper compact for what it is, water wind proof and breathable but not 3l goretex, it is not 100% synthetic but rather a hybrid

Don’t own one but have almost pulled the trigger many times, and it sounds like exactly what you want in your pack for the decent.

It is also a lot less spendy than the big brand names we all love

Coincidentally had just been looking at the Himali Ascent Stretch Hoody that is a softshell primaloft puffy. Probably good wind resistance- better than the Atom LT for sure. Looks like it's made for climbing and is abrasion-resistant softshell for those tree runs and durability.

I’ve been using the Atom FL Anorak this season. Ample insulation when used in conjunction with a soft shell for the down yet thin and breathable enough to wear over a base layer on the way up. Small sample size thus far but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Ok not exactly what the op is looking for, but I love this insulating layer. Almost always a primary layer and a soft shell or a hybrid soft shell. If it gets really cold or windy this goes on. Breathes incredibly well. Hood acts as a neck warmer or can go under helmet. At first I thought it was the shittiest hood ever, then saw it for the mid layer hood it is. Might be hard to find.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ariationId=1TX

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    That looks perfect. When they made it, it cost $875.

OR have a nice waterproof down jacket, lightweight. Have a look
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...-hoodie-277572

That looks good, and 436 g is a great weight. Still not sure about partial waterproofing. Or down.

Is anyone familiar with the Tungsten jacket? Obviously it's a lot heavier, but 794 g is still not bad for a full waterproof shell.
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...-jacket-277561

I checked and that Bormio I had been using was around 950 g.

The point made above about that spendy Arc'teryx jacket having a lining made for being thrown on over a wet softshell absolutely hits the nail on the head. That's what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by counterfeitfake; 12-21-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

A waterproof down jacket will trap your sweat. The down will then get wet.

A microfiber down will work better

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    That looks good, and 436 g is a great weight. Still not sure about partial waterproofing. Or down.

Is anyone familiar with the Tungsten jacket? Obviously it's a lot heavier, but 794 g is still not bad for a full waterproof shell.
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...-jacket-277561
    Between being a sweaty MF and the wet climate, I don't use down insulation in a jacket west of the crest. Save that stuff for the east side and Rockies.

I may give this one a try this winter: https://rab.equipment/us/khroma-kharve-jacket it appears to be similar to the OR jacket you linked except Windstopper shell. They do have a GTX version as well.

new to the atom lt game after my nanopuff got stolen. super comfortable for wearing around the house and town and warm enough for sierra ridges. not an 'oh shit' puffy of course.

I brushed against one tree (ok probably at like 30 mph) and put a huge tear in the arm. do you guys have similar durability challenges? def disappointed given the price tag and how durable the nanopuff proved to be. didn't hold a candle w breathability tho

well of course ^^ if you tag a tree its gona be a feather fest cuz the whole idea of the puffy is a super light/ super warm piece but not very hardy which is why you see them all over town with the ductape patchs ,

what you can do now is patch it with the clear Gearaid tenacious tape, really small feather leaks i paint over with liquid bandage or clear nailpolish

wearing a shell over the down will be tougher than a down puffy

so then you can rip the shell when you tag another tree
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

haha well no shit but i rocked the nanopuff for 40 plus days in the bc of hack job tree skiing without the thing tearing before it was stolen... my big puffy is 50% duct tape / gear aid at this point...

maybe a better question is what's the most durable synthetic layer at this point?

The GORE H5 SHAKEDRY INSULATED JACKET

seems to be the jacket for the use you describe, as long as durability is ok for you.
    Shakedry is both completely waterproof, and (about) the most breathable membrane out there. More importantly in damp conditions (PNW) it is also permanently water repellent on the outside.

Lightweight, and insulted with Polartec alpha, so even once it’s damp (from putting it on over your softshell) it will still insulate and dry quickly.

biggest problem is finding one, especially in North America.

https://www.gorewear.com/eu/se-en/h5...et-100511.html

https://andrewskurka.com/review-gore...akedry-jacket/
    https://gritandgearonline.com/gore-h...jacket-review/

I had a gortex thinsulate parka back in the day, IME an insulated gortex piece is limited in its usage

It will work for about 4-5 months of the year in winter but will be too warm in spring/ summer/ fall

whereas if I go with seperate insulation and gortex pieces I got 2 jackets that I can use all year round
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I also like @Stewy30 ‘s idea:
    wear your “uphill suit” of baselayer and thin softshell, but over the top of that, add a Polartec Alpha Direct layer. That stuff is so open weave, that as soon as you step outside, it adds virtually no warmth. Then, when you get to the top, add your (waterproof) shell of choice over the top. Boom, suddenly you have both added warmth AND wind resistance.
    I think I will try this out next chance I get.

I am going to plug Superior Fleece for these. They are hard to get a hold of, and this is actually a place you can get one. He is a super nice guy with great customer service.

I have two jackets from the Rab Khroma series and they are most excellent.

The Shakedry is what Cody uses in THE FIFTY. There are durability concerns but they do breathe incredibly well. The cycling community in the PNW is real +++ on them. It’s basically the actual gore membrane with no extra protective layers.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    There are durability concerns but they do breathe incredibly well.
    The Andrew Skurka review linked above is for a jacket that uses a more robust version of the Shakedry membrane for increased durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    I am going to plug Superior Fleece for these. They are hard to get a hold of, and this is actually a place you can get one. He is a super nice guy with great customer service.
    I have one of those Superior alpha direct hoodies and plan to use it as Tjaardbreeuwer describes. Two other out of the mainstream sources for alpha direct hoodies are Timmermade and Senchi Designs.

I use a similar layering system to the OP's stated layer choices during all my winter touring in the inland NW. I've tried a bunch of different puffies for the outer layer and honestly I find they all work. None of my puffies have a membrane or waterproof shell to them and it doesn't seem to negatively effect my use of them. I only use GTX jacket/pants lift skiing but never, ever take a membrane jacket or pants touring. If it's super cold (single digit or low teens F) I will typically go with a warmer base layer (i.e. R1 hoody or similar) and warmer gloves but the same midweight puffy or two of them!

I'm 6'2" 175lbs runner build, these are all in size L except as listed. These all hover between about 450-600g if I remember right. While touring I typically climb in just a base layer if it's warm or sunny, add a Polartec Powerstretch layer if it's cold, and/or add a windshirt (Arc'Teryx Squamish) if it's windy or cold. Then puffy on at the top when stowing skins for the ski down, remove and put in pack right before I start up the skin track.

Montbell Thermawrap - a favorite. No ventilation panels so it's more windproof, quite light, simple, hood is snug but fits over my climbing helmet. Durable. Well designed cuffs. No interior pockets. Insulation is pretty durable to packing out, warm enough at 60g/m without vent panels.

Atom LT - more of a midlayer for me, not warm enough as a winter outer layer (60g/m). I used mine under a shell for lift served or in spring as an outer layer. Side ventilation panels make it vent well but also really feel the wind on top while transitioning. Not recommended in light of the others.

Atom SV - not available anymore. Heavier insulation (100g/m) than the LT, no vent panels, good fit, amazing hood. If you can find one the Atom SV is awesome. I will use this on colder days than I would take the Montbell.

Patagonia Micropuff - this is an ancient layer I got with a bunch of holes/patches for $10. It works pretty darn well. Actually it's amazing how well it still works. The zipper is breaking making it a bit finicky with gloves. The fit is a bit boxy but mine is sized up 1 size and fits over everything. I use this as a belay coat summer alpine climbing and overcoat while ski touring. Very wind proof because it's not a sewn through insulation like a nanopuff. If its crazy cold I will take this and i.e. the Thermawrap.

Mountain Equipment Bastion - very excited about this one. For my frame the fit is spot on, better than Arc'teryx with long arms and long torso. It does have vent panels but smaller than an Atom LT and the whole jacket has windstopper fabric. Excellent cuff design, great hood, and overall very high quality fit and finish on par with Arc'teryx. Comes with a stuff sack. 80g/m insulation and notably loftier than the 60g/m coats, maybe on par with the Atom SV. Double zipper is really nice for climbing, for ski touring doesn't matter. The zipper is also a bigger, more durable YKK than the above jackets and hopefully it will last longer. Front zips always seem to be the weak link for me. If I had to just buy one of the above jackets today 100% this would be it. Your list:
    - medium synthetic insulation - YES
    - waterproof preferred, probably not goretex - NOT waterproof, but windproof material
    - lightweight - YES
    - hood - YES, a really well designed hood (they are not all created equal)
    - good fit for a skinny guy - YES
    - wrist gaiter - YES, maybe the best cuffs of all of them
    - color - YES can get in nice colors.

All my tour partners use essentially the same thing in the pnw. Light/medium base layer, lightweight hard shell or soft shell jacket, medium weight down puffy for stops. I’ve not had an issue with wetness and down jackets touring.

Great info all, especially skis_the_trees, thanks. Sounds like you're my doppleganger, same height/weight, same preferences. The MEC Bastion looks perfect, sadly it suffers from the same issue as most of the other good choices- it's not available anymore.

I went ahead and ordered the OR Tungsten since I have a deal on OR. Haven't worn it outside yet. First impression in the living room is that it's not bad, seems warm, good hood, good zipper. I got a M and maybe wish I'd gotten a L. It's got a heavy duty powder skirt which I'm ambivalent about, but could help me get away with the M. It's also lacking wrist gaiters. I may order a size up and compare the two. I may do something really foolish and try to sew in some wrist gaiters.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

touring puffy

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    All my tour partners use essentially the same thing in the pnw. Light/medium base layer, lightweight hard shell or soft shell jacket, medium weight down puffy for stops. I’ve not had an issue with wetness and down jackets touring.
    Exactly. Pretty funny, and I tour mostly on the East side of the Cascades, and the same thing works when I tour around Snoqualmie. Edit to add that the hard shell and puffy go with me to the trailhead, and one or the other often gets left behind depending on conditions.
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-27-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bumporama. Recently got the Helly Hansen Odin insulated on sale, small. 6’145lbs, wearing over baselayer up and down. Cold and dry or snowing hard and milder in pnw. Works great. Was looking for the Arc’teryx fission sl or stikine. This does exactly what I want. Fits great, tons of pockets and no powder skirt…perfect so far.