Got extra gear to donate to a good cause?

Hey folks,

Just sent off a box of extra outerwear I had to this great organization in Vermont, Unlikely Riders, which is aiming in part to make equipment less of a barrier for more diverse athletes looking to get into outdoor sports and snowsports in particular. Thought I'd plug them here!

Their website about gear donations is here: https://www.unlikelyriders.com/gearguidelines

If you're not in the area but still want to make a donation of gear, PM me and I can send you the mailing address for the org's founder.

Thanks and happy holidays!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Great idea to donate what you can, but if this is for people that can't afford gear I don't get this statement
    Please only donate gear that you would still use or wear and that is clean and in new or excellent condition.

I've been skiing (shittily) for 40 years and i have always gotten used gear in less than stellar shape, but usable, until recently. Why does it have to be in top notch condition? Why can't they use equipment that is usable, but worn like many skiers do when they first get into the sport? I see this in other type of charity organizations also and i always think that many needy people would like something decent rather than nothing at all. Makes no sense.

That being said I will look through my extra gear and donate whatever possible. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Great idea to donate what you can, but if this is for people that can't afford gear I don't get this statement
    Please only donate gear that you would still use or wear and that is clean and in new or excellent condition.

I've been skiing (shittily) for 40 years and i have always gotten used gear in less than stellar shape, but usable, until recently. Why does it have to be in top notch condition? Why can't they use equipment that is usable, but worn like many skiers do when they first get into the sport? I see this in other type of charity organizations also and i always think that many needy people would like something decent rather than nothing at all. Makes no sense.

That being said I will look through my extra gear and donate whatever possible. Thanks for the post.
    I imagine they're trying to save themselves from the work of having to sift through loads of gear that's beat up beyond repair, as I know has been the issue at Goodwill. That's my guess!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.