Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Along with four other USC linebackers who were Junior's teammates: Scott Ross, Brian Lewis, some guy I never met, and David Webb ( a fucking psycho).

Their position coach was a Korean War vet who was always hyper gung ho during practice. They were by far the most aggressive unit during practices and hit like motherfuckers

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

I played Dback on a jr high team. One day we ran plays with the varsity team and the coach ran the same running play up my hole about 20 times in a row [because he was a fucking prick and didn't dig me at all]. The varsity running back never got past me, but I left that practice with bruised shoulders and the worst headache I had ever experienced in my 14 years of living up to that point.

Years later, I ran into Barry the running back [who went on to play rb at a D1 before his career-ending knee injury], and told him that blocking and tackling him was like running into an oak tree, and that he beat me up so bad that day I almost quit football.
    He said that was the worst practice in his football life, before he got home his entire abdomen was black & blue and he couldn't dress out the next 2 days. And he also seriously considered quitting football after being worked over like that by a 9th grader.

I told my [step]dad about it after I graduated hs. He told me it was a good thing for everybody that I didn't tell him when it happened, because he would have "Made that mushmouth redneck sonofabitch [coach] Minton answer for it. He was no good and your mother and I couldn't stand him." ... "Your mother never told you, but she hated you playing football, and we were both so glad when you decided you didn't want it anymore."

He played HS football too. Then quit after one of his best friends on the team broke his neck in a game and died. He went on to play basketball for UoP, where he was named All-American both his last 2 years.

I think an athlete making a poor jump from pro-sports to real life might cloud the CTE ?

I worked with a guy who played center as a pro, he told me a lot of his old Teammates did not do that well 25 yrs down the road from winning the big game

he was not a particularly nice person so its a good thing god saved him I often wondered if he had his bell rung too many times
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m glad my high school didn’t have a football program. No way I coulda resisted playing.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think an athlete making a poor jump from pro-sports to real life might cloud the CTE ?
    how many concussions have you had?

I might have had a small one many years ago, I have never been pro any sport, how many have you had ?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Probably a fair amount of selection/sample bias. Most people who lose a family member via natural or pretty easily explained causes aren't donating their brain for a CTE analysis. It's mostly folks whose kid/spouse/etc acted batshit crazy before checking out are donating to the research. But there is ample evidence to link that condition detected to the erratic behavior prior to their demise. We just can't say that 90%+ of ALL athletes get CTE based on that sample.
    Even with the huge selection bias 99% prevalence is astounding. There's also a clear relationship between years played and both prevalence and severity. The high prevalence of overt symptoms in participants with mild pathology is also highly concerning:

"Among 27 participants with mild CTE pathology, 26 (96%) had behavioral or mood symptoms or both, 23 (85%) had cognitive symptoms, and 9 (33%) had signs of dementia."

The sample sizes for non-pro players and players with mild CTE pathology are small and may not be representative. But, in keeping with the "take it more seriously" theme, that means we should probably be checking for CTE as a standard part of death investigations so we can determine the overall prevalence in the population.

https://www.thesportster.com/enterta...e-head-injury/

so its really easy to google the top 20 case of CTE, google CTE and there are a ton of hits

pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    But, in keeping with the "take it more seriously" theme, that means we should probably be checking for CTE as a standard part of death investigations so we can determine the overall prevalence in the population.
    Putting on core shot hat.. I've always wondered if that "accidental" power failure at the Harvard lab where all the brains for CTE research were stored a few years ago was truly "accidental"? There's lots and LOTS of money to be lost if public opinion about pro football (and soccer and basketball and hockey) and sports entertainment sours and decides to cancel the whole industry.

Call me naïve, but I can't believe that nobody can devise some kind of test or scan to better diagnose CTE pre mortem. The impact of that kind of testing ability could be massively disruptive to those industries..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Are yo OK ? how many fingers do you see, whats your name ?

It all sounds like one big headache to me, but what do I know. I'm not a doctor, and don't even attempt to pretend to be a dentist on the internet either.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I might have had a small one many years ago, I have never been pro any sport, how many have you had ?
    concussions? Multiple. At least one from skiing. I’ve done a lot of dumb shit and getting people not to do dumb shit seems a progress of humanity thing to me. Some privileged pensioned tosspot saying “that’s just the way of the world” deserves a hard kick in the virtual gonads.

Yeah i could tell

XXXer may have forgotten a few concussions in the toulene haze.

Yeah i could tell
    but they are no big deal, right asshole? What, two posts for you to own yourself?

I've had a few. Only one from skiing that I remember. I played HS football for a really good team, we only lost 1 game in my 3 years one the V (and that one was by one point, on a missed PAT, in a torrential downpour). Definitely got a few out of that experience.

Somebody up there ^^ talked about the increasing spread of football to younger ages. Maybe they're playing, but increasingly, contact is limited or forbidden in the younger groups, and that's very obviously a good thing. And just maybe, if the trend continues, we'll find out that Texans are actually smart.

Nah.

Concussions actualy are a big deal and it is time to take CTE more seriously changes to rules have helped but people keep getting concussions

foot ball is still huge, hockey still huge, and now we can watch people beat each other senseless in MMA

can you quantify how many concussions in a contact game is it something any body in the game really wants to talk about ?

obviously you have the CTE issues concussions/ anger issues

thots and prayers

Even with the huge selection bias 99% prevalence is astounding. There's also a clear relationship between years played and both prevalence and severity. The high prevalence of overt symptoms in participants with mild pathology is also highly concerning:

"Among 27 participants with mild CTE pathology, 26 (96%) had behavioral or mood symptoms or both, 23 (85%) had cognitive symptoms, and 9 (33%) had signs of dementia."

The sample sizes for non-pro players and players with mild CTE pathology are small and may not be representative. But, in keeping with the "take it more seriously" theme, that means we should probably be checking for CTE as a standard part of death investigations so we can determine the overall prevalence in the population.

What we "need to" do as a first step is come up with a non-intrusive test for CTE among the living population. And since 90% of tomography and resonance imagery is post-processing...Imma shoot from the hip and say there may one day be a way to see one or more of its biomarkers with advances in software.

That's way, way more cogent than your thoughts on HVAC systems. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    That's way, way more cogent than your thoughts on HVAC systems. Kudos.
    One of these days you see a house on a monolithic slab, and you'll be like, "How can they have hvac without a basement and return air ducts? It makes no sense!!"

Had a conversation in a bar last night with a woman about our kids playing football ofvthe American kind.
    I said absolutely not for lil woodsy.
    She went on about this and that.
    I replied " i played line from 10 to 18 and every day I banged my head, repeatedly, against the guy across from me
    5, 6 days a week every fall for 8 years. It isnt good for you"
    She changed the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Had a conversation in a bar last night with a woman about our kids playing football ofvthe American kind.
    I said absolutely not for lil woodsy.
    She went on about this and that.
    I replied " i played line from 10 to 18 and every day I banged my head, repeatedly, against the guy across from me
    5, 6 days a week every fall for 8 years. It isnt good for you"
    She changed the subject.
    After soccer practice, there'd be groups of us passing, shooting, scrimmaging...until dark usually. Baseball too. They'd have to run us out...
    After football practice we got the fuck out of there as fast as we could drag ass and hobble, still taped up and wearing our shimmy shirts and pad tights, burning rubber in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Putting on core shot hat.. I've always wondered if that "accidental" power failure at the Harvard lab where all the brains for CTE research were stored a few years ago was truly "accidental"? There's lots and LOTS of money to be lost if public opinion about pro football (and soccer and basketball and hockey) and sports entertainment sours and decides to cancel the whole industry.

Call me naïve, but I can't believe that nobody can devise some kind of test or scan to better diagnose CTE pre mortem. The impact of that kind of testing ability could be massively disruptive to those industries..
    you answer your own question, SJG -

"The impact of that kind of testing ability could be massively disruptive to those industries... "

tj

( don't kid yourself -- testing exists. disruption of 'the business' keeps it from being used to protect the health of the players.

I know One pro. who has quit for 'health concern'. Chris Borland. )

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    you answer your own question, SJG -

"The impact of that kind of testing ability could be massively disruptive to those industries... "

tj

( don't kid yourself -- testing exists. disruption of 'the business' keeps it from being used to protect the health of the players.

I know One pro. who has quit for 'health concern'. Chris Borland. )
    There's also this guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Nowinski

I coached my kids rec soccer teams from age 5 through high school. It wasn't until the final non adult level U18 where the rec leagues would allow headers.. They happened all the time in games and I never saw a ref stop the play over it. But, coaches definitely were told we weren't supposed to do drills focusing on that skill at all at the pre high school levels and I was fine with that.

yeah (yes) -
    Borland quit Before he experienced Post-concussion Syndrome for a year ( Nowinski. Ugh )

skiJ