Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it time to take CTE more seriously?

OK so Captain Obvious has confirmed that Phillip Adams had stage 2 CTE when he murdered those 6 people. Chris Benoit brutally murdered his wife and kids for no particular reason.. Hernandez.... Right now it's only a few high profile incidents that we hear about. Will there be a point where folks have had enough and decide to end contact sports and entertainment altogether (or at least in the mainstream of society)?

And the other global football/soccer isn't immune from lots of concussions either.

Will our great grandkids be watching just golf and curling?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phillip...2-cte-autopsy/

Hyperbole I know, but this shit's REALLY fucked up when it's fucked up
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Junior seau …

there is lots of corroborating evidence on CTE in Canadian hockey if you wana look
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like watching women's curling. I like watching those prairie girls in a squat yelling "Hard!"

I sit at home all day and hit myself in the head with a maul repeatedly. In jeans.

What was the question?

I think CTE is no bueno btw.

Two hand touch football coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pugilism of many sorts has always been a part of human history. I see it as a self-selecting group, for the most part, although economic and racial/ethnic factors are deeply in play.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Two hand touch football coming soon.
    Consider freeing yourself from the constructs that society has placed on you.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Pugilism of many sorts has always been a party of human history. I see it as a self-selecting group, for the most part, although economic and racial/ethnic factors are deeply in play.
    Come on man.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Come on man.
    I'm dead serious.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I was talking to a kid lamenting the fact that they don’t want to play flag fb cuz tackle is better. While I agree it is more fun, I am happy they aren’t until later. He is 11. No rush scrambling his noodle.

Yeah the increasing creep of football to lower and lower ages sickens me. As does watching the glorification of what amounts to blood sport in adults. I don’t find it entertaining.

It doesn’t get the headlines of the famous athletes but it impacts a ton of veterans. Both in the horrific forms and the more benign. It’s something I think we need a lot more research on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is it time to take CTE more seriously?

Possibly Dean Cummings? I get what your saying, but “lesser” athletes face this danger just as often.

Sure, we hear about football bc of its popularity, but btwn cycling, mtb, skiing, and other dumb shit, I’ve had at least 6 (prolly more) actual concussions. That doesn’t even count the years of “soft hits” or whatever soccer balls to thread or o-line guy type hits are called…and I’m just a weekend piker.

I guess I’m saying: sure we need to take it seriously, but we also can’t stop living.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Shit is real... I've had 5 documented tbi's and a surreal amount of thwack/bang/thump/dong that resulted in headaches, tracers, cognitive disarray, blurred vision ++

Catch myself looking back at recent trains of thought that are self defeating and demoralizing...

There needs to be a pill to deal with this
    ​I am not in your hurry

McLEAN, Va. -- One of the NFL's greatest all-time running backs says the long-term effects of concussions are likely being exaggerated.

"Everybody blames everything on concussions," Herschel Walker told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. "The NFL has a problem. It has to determine the difference between (the effects of) concussions and depression. If players lose their money, or wife, or children because of what they're doing, they'll act different. But you can't throw everything on concussions."
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Yeah the increasing creep of football to lower and lower ages sickens me. As does watching the glorification of what amounts to blood sport in adults. I don’t find it entertaining.
    You may want to quit skiing then. I've played all types of sports and have been concussed more by skiing than any of them.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Shit is real. Hope you are well Gepeto. RIP Cullen

A DEATH IN THE WOODS Questions Linger About Death of Former Quarterback - NY Times

Cullen Finnerty Autopsy Updated - ESPN

Some brain damaged old white dudes are saying brain damage ain’t bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    Junior seau …
    Along with four other USC linebackers who were Junior's teammates: Scott Ross, Brian Lewis, some guy I never met, and David Webb ( a fucking psycho).

Their position coach was a Korean War vet who was always hyper gung ho during practice. They were by far the most aggressive unit during practices and hit like motherfuckers

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Shit is real. Hope you are well Gepeto...
    ...was there a viable alternative that I was never brought up to speed on
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Arguing that brain damage isn't the problem by using logic that is clear evidence of brain damage is pretty rich.

I saw this study linked to one of the articles about the recent CTE diagnosis for Adams.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?resultClick=1

110 of 111 former NFL players tested positive for CTE, and 48 of 53 former college players. That's a pretty damning study if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I saw this study linked to one of the articles about the recent CTE diagnosis for Adams.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?resultClick=1

110 of 111 former NFL players tested positive for CTE, and 48 of 53 former college players. That's a pretty damning study if you ask me.
    Probably a fair amount of selection/sample bias. Most people who lose a family member via natural or pretty easily explained causes aren't donating their brain for a CTE analysis. It's mostly folks whose kid/spouse/etc acted batshit crazy before checking out are donating to the research. But there is ample evidence to link that condition detected to the erratic behavior prior to their demise. We just can't say that 90%+ of ALL athletes get CTE based on that sample.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!