Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    This topic was getting a lot of traction before Covid

Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    What we "need to" do as a first step is come up with a non-intrusive test for CTE among the living population. And since 90% of tomography and resonance imagery is post-processing...Imma shoot from the hip and say there may one day be a way to see one or more of its biomarkers with advances in software.
    Of course we should develop ways to diagnose CTE in the living, but that is going to take an unknown amount of time. Testing for CTE as a routine part of death investigation can be done right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Of course we should develop ways to diagnose CTE in the living, but that is going to take an unknown amount of time. Testing for CTE as a routine part of death investigation can be done right now.
    What does that sort of thing cost? Is it labor and or skills intensive? Does it require rare and wonderful patent machines only made by ex-junkies in the Harz Mountains?

Dude you trip out on the weirdest shit.

I'm sure there are some fine German saws that work on skulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Have you ever wondered about the effects from years of avalanche control? Some recent studies are starting to make me think about it and reading up on it
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Dude you trip out on the weirdest shit.
    Well if we're gonna slice into everybody's brain after they die, there has to be an infrastructure for that. Is zis not correct, Herr Skiezenjeans?

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Have you ever wondered about the effects from years of avalanche control? Some recent studies are starting to make me think about it and reading up on it
    Repeated explosions are significant factors in soldiers.

If Hershel Walker told me was wearing brown shoes, I’d look at his feet before believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Oh yes, most definitely, especially those big shots that are a pain in the ass to get into placement like 100 lbs of ANFO on a sled in soft snow that won't cooperate and slide down to where you want them. I never have felt like I was concussed but my ears have suffered.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My dad played football. RB and OL. My mom forbade me to play, so I played soccer instead. I was knocked out twice in high school. Also got a bad concussion from a ski crash. Who knows how many other knocks?

And with all that, all I can think is: thank god I never played football.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    What does that sort of thing cost? Is it labor and or skills intensive? Does it require rare and wonderful patent machines only made by ex-junkies in the Harz Mountains?
    The cost and difficulty is probably similar to post-mortem diagnosis of alzheimers and other brain diseases, or biopsying brain tumors, both which are done all the time and use the same basic techniques. Also, a well-designed study could obtain an accurate estimate by testing a relatively small randomized representative sample of the population.

Oh yes, most definitely, especially those big shots that are a pain in the ass to get into placement like 100 lbs of ANFO on a sled in soft snow that won't cooperate and slide down to where you want them. I never have felt like I was concussed but my ears have suffered.
    The blast wave can cause brain damage without creating full-blown concussion symptoms. This has definitely been documented in the military, particularly in heavy weapons training.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My dad played football. RB and OL. My mom forbade me to play, so I played soccer instead. I was knocked out twice in high school. Also got a bad concussion from a ski crash. Who knows how many other knocks?

And with all that, all I can think is: thank god I never played football.
    I played 4 years in HS, wish I could take it back. My only true concussions have come from skiing, MTB and a dumb non-sports related accident, but all those sub-concussive blows day after day after day....

Is it time to take CTE more seriously?

I was the one that brought up younger and younger kids playing football. Even in relatively progressive Washington state, I lived next to an elementary school and during the peewee season twice a week for a couple hours there’d be little 10 year olds in full pads and helmets tackling each other out there (with coaches yelling at them of course) ugh.

Also and quite importantly.

Concussions aren’t the only risk. There’s lots of evidence to show that repeated small traumas not adding up to a full concussion may be even more likely to result in CTE than the big concussions that are relatively easy to spot after the fact. So talking about how many concussions happen in sports isn’t getting at what the risk factor may actually be.

“The best available evidence tells us that CTE is caused by repetitive hits to the head sustained over a period of years. This doesn’t mean a handful of concussions; most people diagnosed with CTE suffered hundreds or thousands of head impacts over the course of many years playing contact sports or serving in the military. And it’s not just concussions; the best available evidence points towards sub-concussive impacts, or hits to the head that don’t cause full-blown concussions, as the biggest factor.”

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE...es/what-is-CTE

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Repetitive sub concussive blows are the problem, yes. Which is why all the safety protocols in the world wont help football when every play results in a subconcussive hit, at least for the line

I return to my idea that will save football, and be funny, Giant Nerf Helmets.

I am glad I don't enjoy watching football, mma, or boxing, because it is pretty fucked up to watch people who are shortening their life every time they go out there. *cracks beer, hits bong*

Sumo suits?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

at least CTE has been acknowledged but as for getting serious Its a fox in charge of the hen-house situ, with the people running these sports having a vested interest in nothing changing, we don't really have the foot ball like down there but we got the hockey with the same issues

apparently sitting out when you get your bell rung so you don't get another concussion while still suffering the 1st one is pretty important but who is gona do that with careers on the line??

the fastest DH racer in town got concussed, had to stay in a dark room till his brain recovered, I asked where he had crashed but apparently he didnt crash, teenager goofing around jumping on a bed and fell off ... it can happen anywhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Antonio Brown CTE posterboy.

Scary

It's a good thing Rodman didn't pick football. He wouldn't have lasted a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Antonio Brown CTE posterboy.

Scary
    COVID attacks the weakest part of your anatomy and physiology. It went right for my wife's seizure disorder when she came home with it..

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's a good thing Rodman didn't pick football. He wouldn't have lasted a season.
    He's done a couple short runs with pro wrestling. Good thing he didn't stick with that either..