Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

School me on Insulated Flannel

Does this go here? Tech talk? Ask KQ Claus? Well....shut it and answer:

Sure, I'd like a $179 Patagonia Flannel jacket but that's not happening...and I'm to dumb to stock up when the Flylow sale hits in the summer.

So, whatcha all buyin? I've seen everything from Dickies at about $60ish to LL Been, Carhartt, and Duluth Trading just under a hundo. There's this place: https://www.cotosen.com . which I'm guessing is just a front for some Chinese sweat shop <shrug>.

Anyways, seems like there's a billionty companies making them...and they all can't be great. What flannel is everyone buying to stay warm?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

The LL Bean ones with Primaloft are the bomb

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fleece lined LL flannel hooded is the comfees. Highly recommended. If not the kind of piece you are looking for, I still recommend it in general.

You missed out; I'm rather enjoying both my insulated flannel and flannel-lined work shirt from FlyLow.

Wrangler insulated flannel from Murdoch's. Faux pearl snaps are optional but beware they are highly irresistible to barrel racers and calf ropers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I have LL Bean flannel lined jeans. They work great for chopping wood in the winter. Add a red/black Scotch plaid flannel shirt and hammer and sledge and you will have the lumberjack look down. I have a really cool orange and blue Stio flannel shirt. Haven't seen that color combo before. Super comfy.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    There's this place: https://www.cotosen.com . which I'm guessing is just a front for some Chinese sweat shop <shrug>.
    Maybe not them: https://www.cotosen.com/products/i-t...t-6963654.html

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    42% off “Let’s Go Brandon” long sleeve T’s.

What a steal…

Any suggestions for something in solid colors? I'm just not feeling the plaid look right now, I don't have a beard or Carhartts to go with that. Also, kinda related - button up wool shirts? Was recently looking at these as an alternative to flannel, but pretty pricey. When did wool get all bougie?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Stop overthimking
    I got the walmart insulated flannel w snaps for when I walk around telling people what todo its warm and fuzzy
    I got the patagucci flannel for when I'm at the brewery telling bullshit stories acting tough and trying to pick up your daughter

So get both

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Stop overthimking
    I got the walmart insulated flannel w snaps for when I walk around telling people what todo its warm and fuzzy
    I got the patagucci flannel for when I'm at the brewery telling bullshit stories acting tough and trying to pick up your daughter

So get both
    Can we find a newspaper in Colorado that will run a weekly "Ask Fred" column?

You wanna look like a schlub, shop schlub style
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redh...12061405562813

I like this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.29.52 PM.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	396571

I own this one:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.30.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	396572
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Stop overthimking

So get both
    Excellent.
    I have a wool plaid insulated shirt from Mervyn's I've had for at least 30 years that I occasionally drag out for nostalgia's stake. Where do you suggest it would be most appropriate to wear it? I mostly tell people what to do when I'm on the phone to customer service and I mostly tell bullshit stories here, but the shirt would be too warm for either I think.
    There are a lot better options for staying warm these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Any suggestions for something in solid colors? I'm just not feeling the plaid look right now, I don't have a beard or Carhartts to go with that. Also, kinda related - button up wool shirts? Was recently looking at these as an alternative to flannel, but pretty pricey. When did wool get all bougie?
    I just got this. https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/1292460...lor=Htr%20Blue

Pretty thick and warm. Not as soft as I’d like but it’s a nice shirt.

This Sears Fieldmaster from eons ago is pretty hetty. I've got a wide range of these, some great, some too bulky, some flannel lined, even a couple cloudveil softshells. For something that's widely available, I like the LL Bean Hurricane shirt: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/9011...t-mens-regular

Name:	IMG_1291 copy.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	396574

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    You missed out; I'm rather enjoying both my insulated flannel and flannel-lined work shirt from FlyLow.
    Still worth it at full fare

The fleece fabric “flannel” is more flexible than trad flannel for active folks

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    If you don't have a beard you can't wear a flannel, doesn't matter if it's solid color of plaid. North Face fleece for you until you decide to become a man.

FWIW I’m a huge fan of Burton flannels, yes they’re not cheap but the couple I’ve had I’ve gotten cheaper than a lot of the other nice offerings above. My old lined flannel (no idea on model) is fleece lined with quilted sleeves and it is the absolute shit!! Warm, soft AF, and very durable. Don’t remember the cost but definitely under a bill. My newer non lined flannel I often wear skiing is the same, super soft, super comfy, and very happy with durability, probably around $40ish?? Idk but I really dig em. Also, I am now on the hunt for an Eddie canvas flannel. Damn you guys cost me a lot of fuckin money I don’t have 🤦🏻
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I don't like those things. It's like they're confused whether they're a shirt, a sweater or a jacket. I prefer clothes that know what they are.

I dunno, man
    Filson shirt jac - heavy wool goodness

First there was just flannel from the local Woolworths dept store, that mom would purchase on sale, and dad and I would wear in the colder months around the farm and field. It was uncouth of us to wear these worn work garments at social events, or to school. Then my younger sisters started to steal our work flannel in the mid 80's to wear to highschool, and then further in the early 90's, the PNW grunge scene took these utilitarian dept store garments and made them cool somehow.
    This piqued the interest of the fashion runway, and soon high end flannel could be bought at prices not suitable for mucking stalls or gutting domestic or wild animals. It seems to have culminated with the urban lumbersexual, with perfectly quaffed hair and oiled beard, carrying a well oiled but seldom use norse forged custom splitting maul.

My sisters still raid my poor father's closets when they visit. I don't own much flannel now. One lonely insulated jacket hangs in the basement closet, ashamed that its evolved pedigree has distanced itself from a much more rich traditional history. Maybe my daughter will one day appreciate its form and function again.

You fashionistas better stay away from my stanfields!

Buy a fleece and then save up and make an end of life purchase. Get a quality wool shirt/jacket. A 45 y o Woolrich Buffalo plaid is my daily driver and what I wear to spring ski in. The kids tell me it's retro.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you don't have a beard you can't wear a flannel, doesn't matter if it's solid color of plaid. North Face fleece for you until you decide to become a man.
    wait what? so you are telling me that I have to give away my very large collection of flannel?
    just because I don't grow a beard to prove my manlyness?
    what gives with all these men growing beards to make up for the fact that they are pussies? then wearing flannel?
    I guess women don't look at jacked up destroyed hands as a symbol of being a man?

LLBean for the MFW. period. Just sat nite I wore my red chamy from 1992. Hasn't lost a bit of color or a button for that matter. thing is so heavy I wear it more as a jacket than a shirt. Also have a river driver Henley from 1987 that's going strong. Seriously look at the river drivers - they changed late 90s now have a ton of wool content and very heavy. great for layering. I run in them a lot as the outer layer and they are surprisingly wind-resistant. a little more $ than wal mart, but worth it on the durability. Signed, a cheep-ass accountant.
    "Can't you see..."