Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My FA has broached the topic of annuities.

65 retire in a little under 2 years. His proposal would cost me about 1/3 of my nut.

I don't think I need the peace of mind he is touting.

thoughts?
    https://apple.news/Aua5_a59ASyiarwyhFH6X7Q

Something to think about.

Paywalled out but I got the gist.

Holed up the last 4 days post op shoulder surgery. Lots of time to research. Fisher is a marketing scam? But an annuity is not in my future. I have a call scheduled with a Vanguard rep. on Thursday.

Currently with Fidelity, they have performed well managing my accounts and 3/4 of my funds I am down about 16% over the past year and 3 months and their manager has access to funds not available to regular investors. My former rep left, new guy isn't that impressive. This make me think its time to look elsewhere, Bozeman isn't a hotbed of choices locally.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Where to Invest Money Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Dude, pdi went from 30 to 20 in the last 3 years. They are paying the dividend which destroys the shares value. They are not earning the dividend, so it's s loser.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    My expectation is a 5% total return over ten years.

This is not including the dividend:

PDI Average NAV ReturnMarket Return:

3 Year-1.49%-6.41%
    5 Year+2.38%-0.44%
    10 Year+8.04%+3.93%
    Life. +10.26%+5.4

I’m ok with this too:

Your 1-year return -2.08%
    S&P 500 Index -7.69%
    Bloomberg US
    Aggregate Bond Index -9.72%
    Bloomberg US 3 Month
    Treasury Bellwether
    Index +2.19
    As of Feb-27-2023

My portfolio yield is 6.2%

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Monthly WSJ summary of Savings Account rates for April 2023, no paywall:
    https://archive.ph/sljxl

They found an online bank paying 5.02% APY:
    https://www.ufbdirect.com/Savings/uf...d-money-market

I'm suspicious moving money into an account like this is chasing a high yield, > 5%, in the short term only. However, this is apparently what some people do to get a high return with very low risk.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Hope somebody invested in the companies that make poly line.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Monthly WSJ summary of Savings Account rates for April 2023, no paywall:
    https://archive.ph/sljxl

They found an online bank paying 5.02% APY:
    https://www.ufbdirect.com/Savings/uf...d-money-market

I'm suspicious moving money into an account like this is chasing a high yield, > 5%, in the short term only. However, this is apparently what some people do to get a high return with very low risk.
    I really like this website for tracking rates- https://www.depositaccounts.com/savings/

It also has a review function for each bank, so you can have a glimpse at what you are getting into before you open an account. UFB has a pretty terrible rating.

I'm earning 4.7% APY in VUSXX in my Vanguard brokerage. It's as liquid as a savings account, but not FDIC insured.

Currently 4.25% with Lending Club, FDIC insured.

“Series I bond rate expected to fall to below 4%”. Will be 2% a year from now. They were like a teaser rate mortgage

I'm thinking of pull my I bonds out 3 months after rate drop (as you lose the last 3 mo)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I'm thinking of pull my I bonds out 3 months after rate drop (as you lose the last 3 mo)
    Seems like that's the best move. After 2+ years over 6% with some at 10% it's hard to see any downside to having bought a bunch, even if the great rates are fleeting.

I've been playing the treasury bill game lately, rates as still slightly higher than the best CD or high yield saving accounts out there. Minimum effort required, safe $$.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Where to Invest Money Right Now?

^^Agreed. My only regret is having to deal with the Treasury Direct site. T-Bills are tickling 5%. Takes a little figuring, but pretty straightforward once you get over the initial hump. I buy through Fidelity to avoid TD.

Couple 5% savings options. I ended up putting a bunch of our money in a Republic MM account at 4.6%.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-...avings-to-get/
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I have about 25k I want to invest in something that is safe, but with yields worth the effort for about 12 months, a little less than 12 would be ideal.

Looked at high yield savings accounts, and those are at about 4.5%, what other options should I explore?

The ability to be liquid on short notice with no penalty would be nice, but not a deal breaker. This is my first time exploring this area of investing, so somewhat a novice.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I have about 25k I want to invest in something that is safe, but with yields worth the effort for about 12 months, a little less than 12 would be ideal.

Looked at high yield savings accounts, and those are at about 4.5%, what other options should I explore?

The ability to be liquid on short notice with no penalty would be nice, but not a deal breaker. This is my first time exploring this area of investing, so somewhat a novice.
    Just checked and the most recent 13 and 17 week T-Bill auctions were over 5%. You could build a T-Bill ladder, which allows you to cyclically have the option to pull some money out if you need it. Also, if you trade through an organization like Fidelity, you can pretty easily sell them on the secondary market if you really need the money. I believe you can also sell them before maturity on Treasury Direct, but the process is more involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gaDsNYlxA8
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Trying to figure out T Bills or related bonds on Fidelity's website is a nightmare of data overload.

Just the filtering along is beyond anything I want to deal with. There are three different yields (ask yield to worst, WTF is that?), 3rd party prices, I turn away every time I look. Type T Bills into their search and you get top results covered straddles, recasting a mortgage, and deducting student loan interest. That website is the shining example of TLDR, and don't want to read.

I gotta give Treasury Direct credit here, it's simplified, a layman like me can relate to the numbers they show. But yet I still haven't figured out how to buy anything on there.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Trying to figure out T Bills or related bonds on Fidelity's website is a nightmare of data overload.
    I watched this and now feel somewhat confident I could buy on my own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFuiC-UNeMc
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Just checked and the most recent 13 and 17 week T-Bill auctions were over 5%. You could build a T-Bill ladder, which allows you to cyclically have the option to pull some money out if you need it. Also, if you trade through an organization like Fidelity, you can pretty easily sell them on the secondary market if you really need the money. I believe you can also sell them before maturity on Treasury Direct, but the process is more involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gaDsNYlxA8
    This link was excellent, I think I may go with a 4 week T-bill and just auto-roll it. Pretty much hands off, and looks like yields will be in the 4 to 4.5% range with almost no risk.

This link was excellent, I think I may go with a 4 week T-bill and just auto-roll it. Pretty much hands off, and looks like yields will be in the 4 to 4.5% range with almost no risk.
    This isn't a bad option but high yield savings accounts like Wealthfront are 4.3% APY and for me it's easier to let it sit than to make sure something is set up correctly.

I watched this and now feel somewhat confident I could buy on my own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFuiC-UNeMc
    Yeah, she does good tutorials. Wish I would have seen that prior to figuring out on my own. I like t-direct over TD for buying t-bills, don't really want a middle man and couldn't figure out TD. Have been doing 26 & 52 weeks. The process did seem odd at first.

A few things I do that she didn't mention.
    1. add a payable on death person
    2. I like getting an email of auction results, so signed up for those. Lot of email, but I have a filter to keep them out of my inbox and I find the ones I purchased to save for my records.

Baycoast Bank (MA) - 5.05% (3 month CD)
    Eastern Bank (MA) - 4.95% (1 month CD)

Part of me really wants to put all my investible assets into a money market funds like VUSXX and just take the ~5% yield.

Yes, I know it is less than inflation, but I really wonder if markers will be down a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Part of me really wants to put all my investible assets into a money market funds like VUSXX and just take the ~5% yield.

Yes, I know it is less than inflation, but I really wonder if markers will be down a year from now.
    Inflation has come way down, it’s currently less than 5 percent and dropping steadily.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

HD revenue drop in the highest inflation year in 40+ years. That means in real terms they were down double digit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Inflation has come way down, it’s currently less than 5 percent and dropping steadily.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    3.6% annual rate over the past six months, for those interested.

discover just bumped me to 3.9% savings

Vanguard just started a new banking product that is currently at 4.5%. Moving my cash there so I can more quickly invest when needed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy