Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I had EPD and a few other midstreams and had to sell because my world changed and I needed the $$. I think it's time to get back into it a few shares at a time as I can afford it. Thanks for the kick

Anyone have any ideas for robotics? It just seems to me that warehouses and the general supply chain need them more than ever and IMO if manufacturing does make a serious effort at coming back to the States it's not going to be about human hands making things. What about companies that maintain that stuff? They're going to needed too.
    BOTZ Has performed well with global diversification

https://www.globalxetfs.com/funds/bo...0aAgbDEALw_wcB

Where to Invest Money Right Now?

My view on energy is that it’s still great for income but now that every one loves it I’d be on alert for a pullback.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    If MT is right he should be calling out kevo's googling bullshit - that's the TGR way. Can we get a ruling here, any other accountants present to make a call and end this?
    No. Only dentists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I didn't invent some novel, dangerous tax avoidance strategy. I merely mentioned a well known, well documented strategy so that other people who could benefit from it could learn about it.

We have a CPA in this thread who at first claimed there was no benefit to said strategy (it's fucked up and stupid, don't listen to Kevo) and started name calling when I dared to contradict him. I've provided documentation from multiple sources to every claim that I've made. I stopped replying to this thread for weeks, then when called out "where are you, big man" I responded respectfully. More name calling ensued.

Now it's not that there isn't a benefit, it's just that it is so esoteric that it is pie in the sky theoretical shit....Except that it is something that roughly 10% of households could benefit from.

MT hasn't engaged even once with the content of the source that I've linked to. Just character attacks and name calling.

I make backdoor Roth IRA contributions. I learned about backdoor Roth IRA contributions from a friend who is a CFA/CFP who retired early from managing an 11 figure pension fund. My friend who is a tax lawyer makes backdoor Roth IRA contributions. I have several doctor friends who make backdoor Roth IRA contributions, as directed by their CPAs. There are other people in this thread who make backdoor Roth IRA contributions as directed by their CPAs. This isn't a controversial topic with any CPAs that I've personally engaged with.

Either everyone listed above and I have been led astray by a roving band of misfit CPAs who have written countless articles and books that explain the reasons for doing what we're doing (I'd love to know, by all means I'll stop doing what I'm doing if the information I'm following is proven wrong) or someone else wasn't familiar with this particular strategy and refuses to admit so.

@Adironrider- you don't know me dude. I wouldn't purport to know anything about what you know or don't know. Just stop.

If MT is right he should be using his personal expertise to disprove the content of sources I've linked or referencing any outside source other than personal experience that agrees with his take. He's repeatedly failed to do so.

That's my piece. I'm done talking backdoor Roth IRAs in this thread.
    Yeah Backdoor IRA contributions are a no brainer if your traditional IRA isn't full of gain. I fund our IRAs every January and immediately convert the $ to Roths.

So simple and a no brainer

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Was planning to buy a house last year. Other life happened and now I’m sitting on a significant amount of cash under the mattress, still paying $3k/mo in city rent for a 1br, and keep reading about all the wrong ways to be managing money in Nov ‘22. Do I (A) get back on Zillow and buy a house asap, or maybe even a rental property, (B) keep the DINK alive by “investing” in skis and bikes, (C) start taking advice from my CFA friend who wants to manage my money and is probably smart but don’t shit where you eat situation, (D) take advantage of this safety net and quit my job to figure things out, (E) some other more sensible and low-risk investing options for a 30-something who doesn’t want to work forever but maybe start a family someday. Zero points if your response references anything about “backdoors”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

(E)

One year CDs are paying 4.8-5% right now. For me, that is the definition of no brainer
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^^^ This, I have plenty of long term cash tied up in 401K, IRA & Roth. A CD Ladder for a 2 year span is looking pretty good right now.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Where to Invest Money Right Now?

Yield curve is pretty damn flat and most institutions are only putting short term money on the books, but not everybody got the memo. If you find longer term money paying up it could make sense to ladder out a bit longer. There’s some reasonable prognostication* that rates dip within the next year or so.

*not mine, I just spout back what I read and hear. I’m a terrible prognosticator.
    focus.

Real estate depends on how much you need to finance. I wouldn’t look at it as an investment.

CD sounds good. Take my money! And they said I shouldn’t ask for financial advice from strangers in a sub thread of a niche side project Internet forum for a ski themed media company

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    a sub thread of a niche side project Internet forum for a ski themed media company
    When you put it that way, we seem pretty insignificant.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Buy Japanese Yen. Flip it next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    One year CDs are paying 4.8-5% right now. For me, that is the definition of no brainer
    Where do you find this info? Cursory search showed ~4%

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Where do you find this info? Cursory search showed ~4%
    This question. 4.15% for one year is the highest out there.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Buy a lot of beer and make $ taking in the empties
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    This question. 4.15% for one year is the highest out there.
    Highest I've spotted for 1 yr CD has been 4%. Still, beats Crypto and META
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Johnny Utah, Are you hitting annual max on 401k contribution? Do that. Get some 4% cds or >4% t-bills. In after tax account, buy share of VOO and VYM every Monday or every other Monday or mid month.

I hate paying rent and bought my first place in early 20's....but if you don't want to be a owner, don't do it just as an investment.

Are you hitting annual max on 401k contribution?
    Sound advice right there, especially with any kind of employer matching.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Highest I've spotted for 1 yr CD has been 4%. Still, beats Crypto and META
    Fidelity is quoting 1 yr T bills at 4.7% - just bought some.

Last 6 month tbill auction down from last one I bought:
    High Rate: 4.520%
    Investment Rate*: 4.689%

Although I would take 4% at credit union and not have to use treasury direct.

Core inflation is over 6% and you morons are buying 4.5% debt?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  96.9 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Fidelity is quoting 1 yr T bills at 4.7% - just bought some.
    Remember that these are state tax free...if you live in one of those 9%+ rate states.

First make sure you have 6-12 months expenses in an emergency fund kept in a money market account, then max out pre tax contributions and employee match to 401k/IRA. Any additional funds should be invested in something really exciting like VTI, VOO, VTSAX, etc. But this is the boring way to do it.

6-12 months is not necessary in an emergency fund unless you own a business that you rely on to pay the bills or are an independent contractor (consultant, musician, etc). Even then, it is way overkill in almost every instance.

Never mind it is probably unattainable for 80-90% of Americans in the first place.

Step away from bogleheads.org, that place isn't real life.
    Live Free or Die