Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    REITS, (ex. NLY) most seem near 52 wk low, pay good dividend, in theory they like low interest rates and residential rent is high. Although I'm confused why they keep going down, so maybe not a good sign.
    I'm still a big fan of dividend yield so agree about REITs. Also oil gas producers that will survive and keep spitting out dividends. EOG, XOM

I really no very little about thus subject. I am happy to see I am invested in LeeLau's recommendations. I started an ameritrade account to buy small mining stocks that fit the Biden agenda. I was doing great with GPHOF until today but still way ahead. There is no graphite mined in the U.S. I expect to see a push in rare earth mining under Biden.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, that's a good one that I got clued into last month. Maxed that one out for the year. Seems like a no-brainer.
    I just signed up and initiated the funding in about 15 minutes total. It really can't get much easier. Too bad the limit is so low--protecting savings from inflation is literally the perfect outcome for those of us with near-zero risk tolerance.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Nursing homes and home health aide services. These boomers are getting old and Covid won’t finish the job.
    I don't know, a lot of nursing homes lost a significant amount of their "customers" to covid and have entire wings sitting empty. Plus endless staffing shortages.

Next big thing in energy is carbon capture and storage. Transitioning away from fossil fuels will take several decades and in the meantime carbon storage will be used to make us feel like we're doing something about climate change. I don't know how to invest in it, but it's up and coming.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/summi...ycsrp_catchall

https://undeerc.org/pcor/assets/PDFs...terization.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Next big thing in energy is carbon capture and storage. Transitioning away from fossil fuels will take several decades and in the meantime carbon storage will be used to make us feel like we're doing something about climate change. I don't know how to invest in it, but it's up and coming.
    I'm a private investor in a CCUS company in Canada (Carbon Engineering). I'm also an investor in a crypto DAO that is attempting to corner the market on a certain type of carbon credit called VCUs (KLIMA). There are no publicly traded shares of companies in carbon capture. Some companies have exposure but no pure plays

Just gonna leave these here.

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/s...CaU5ITz2Q&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA_f...ature=youtu.be

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I'm a private investor in a CCUS company in Canada (Carbon Engineering). I'm also an investor in a crypto DAO that is attempting to corner the market on a certain type of carbon credit called VCUs (KLIMA). There are no publicly traded shares of companies in carbon capture. Some companies have exposure but no pure plays
    What is Klima's current APY of 27,818% based on? (even Eurostyle that's impressive) That's the same rate I got on my used car loan.

I like a few funds: QQQ, BND, VBK, VIG VTI, and then a few FAG stocks, which other than Apple tend to be pricey.
    Boring, but mostly dependable and diversified, and very easy.

Your age and risk strategy is very important, which allows you to be much more aggressive in your 20s and 30s than your 50s , 60s 70s. For example, my son just started a Roth IRA with a 75stock-25bond split, whereas a retired guy (like me) should be at more like 50/50.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Interesting. Investment in carbon capture and storage might mean buying land in North Dakota south of the Bakken oil play, where they are now experimenting with storage and geologists believe the formations do not hold gas or oil. Storage royalties stay with the surface rights owner in the U.S., even though the storage is underground. (As opposed to mineral rights, which are often separated from the surface rights.) Good luck with your investments.

max out the I-bond amount...unless you already have treasury direct account, hopefully you can get paperwork done before new year. I have been doing them for years now and this year finally got my wife to open account, but waiting on her identity validation.
    Tax free gains if used for kids education.
    edit: 7.2% right now
    +1
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I expect to see a push in rare earth mining under Biden.
    Or we can just all learn mandarin.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    FAG stocks
    Nice.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Euro fund, those markets haven't seen the big rise like US, in theory they will 'recover' from the covid too?

REITS, (ex. NLY) most seem near 52 wk low, pay good dividend, in theory they like low interest rates and residential rent is high. Although I'm confused why they keep going down, so maybe not a good sign.
    I'm still a big fan of dividend yield so agree about REITs. Also oil gas producers that will survive and keep spitting out dividends. EOG, XOM
    Right on - those seem like good ideas. I'll do some reading. Hadn't really looked into REIT's before, but those are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Or we can just all learn mandarin.
    Maybe I should be throwing money into RST.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    What is Klima's current APY of 27,818% based on? (even Eurostyle that's impressive) That's the same rate I got on my used car loan.
    KLIMA is part of a new category of new crypto variously called Web 3.0 aka DeFi aka Rebase DAOs. The APY is based on compounding 3x a day. The yield is based on payment of the crypto tokens.

You invest a certain sum and get the KLIMA token. The APY pays you in the form of the token (currently doubling every 1 month approximate). You can keep reinvesting the token or extract the token and convert it to fiat currency as a quasi dividend. KLIMA's price is backed by a "reserve" of assets with a current notional value of $ 135m built out of carbon credits and a synthetic derivative of carbon credits).

All very ponzi and interesting. The longest running rebase DAO I've participated in is called OHM and has been in existence for 7 months- Currently pays out 7000% APY. It's an experiment and I view this as exceptionally risky and not fitting Toast's criteria

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Interesting. Investment in carbon capture and storage might mean buying land in North Dakota south of the Bakken oil play, where they are now experimenting with storage and geologists believe the formations do not hold gas or oil. Storage royalties stay with the surface rights owner in the U.S., even though the storage is underground. (As opposed to mineral rights, which are often separated from the surface rights.) Good luck with your investments.
    There are some private investments trying to corral land in the Bakkens. I looked into those but the minimums are 100K + which, for me, was too much risk concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Right on - those seem like good ideas. I'll do some reading. Hadn't really looked into REIT's before, but those are interesting.
    In Seeking Alpha there's a good group of exceptionally data-driven people who nerd out on number-crunching for REITs. I was active on that when deciding which REITs to buy back in April - May 2020. Essentially I looked to (i) cash flow; (ii) quality of mortgages they held (these were all Mortgage REITs aka mREITs (they buy/sell and own mortgages on certain properties); (iii) whether their mortgages were insured by the federal government (I wanted the backstop of socialized insurance for mortgages) and (iv) yield; of course. The capital gain was secondary to me. I just wanted stable income over time.

Unless you're going to go all in and really study this stuff like Lee and others, just give it to the robots and let their algorithm's do it for you. Then do your day job and go ski. The robots have treated me well.

can anyone explain this I-Bond thing? I have never heard of them before.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^when you say robots, what is that? They actually do better than s&p?

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I just signed up and initiated the funding in about 15 minutes total. It really can't get much easier. Too bad the limit is so low--protecting savings from inflation is literally the perfect outcome for those of us with near-zero risk tolerance.
    Interesting. My wife had to prints a form and take it to a bank to get her identity verified...I wonder if it is because she had identity theft awhile back? I recall my sign up was like you said, but that was years ago and thought maybe they changed the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    can anyone explain this I-Bond thing? I have never heard of them before.
    Gov pays you an interest rate plus inflation rate. They set inflation rate couple times each year and the interest rate is set when you open. If you hold for a few years, no fee to close early. No taxes on gain if used for education. $10k limit per year via treasury direct plus you can do $5k from you tax return via tax forms.

FIL has been doing these since they started them in the Clinton admin and has some with > 15% this year.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/03/y...tion-rate.html

^^^when you say robots, what is that? They actually do better than s&p?

Robo advisors. Low management fee and you control your risk rate. I went with Wealthfront years ago because our friend was the CFO. Others may have more to offer, but I'm happy with what they do. Tax loss harvesting is a nice feature.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/investing/robo-advisors

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Unless you're going to go all in and really study this stuff like Lee and others, just give it to the robots and let their algorithm's do it for you. Then do your day job and go ski. The robots have treated me well.
    Yup ^^ I never considered myself sharp enough to do my own investing or even remember i had investments

but i was just sharp enough to sign the paper work and it worked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I do my own taxes with Turbotax and like to do so to keep my eyes on everything. Do the roboadvisors make it simple to continue that or will it make me finally have to pay up for a pro? I'm not dong anything too crazy, but a couple special forms already (backdoor roth, S-corp etc.)

I use an online tax site that encourages you to give them some money if you want but its not really necessary, it fills in all the blanks from everybody who has given you money from investments or employment and sent info to the gov

does all the math, I pay online and don't even need a calculator ... super easy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

IBond question. In order to get another $10k worth, does my wife need a separate account, or can I add her to mine as a secondary owner or beneficiary?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I bonds sound interesting for sure.

Personally I'm looking to buy an investment property out of state to take advantage of these interest rates.