Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 14 Peaks

14 Peaks

Netflix movie about Nirmal Purja's attempt to climb all 8K meter peaks in 7 months.
    This guy's fitness at altitude is absolutely astounding and his personality even more so--see what happens on K2.
    Reinhold Messner and Jimmy Chin among others comment.

Watched it the other night. Amazing what he is able to do . Pure class

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah, watched this last night as well. Phenomenal achievement, amazing effort.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a crazy goal, and unreal he got it done the way he did. One thing they didn't make clear was if his team was the same the whole time, or if they rotated through. If they all stayed with him for all the climbs that's even more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a crazy goal, and unreal he got it done the way he did. One thing they didn't make clear was if his team was the same the whole time, or if they rotated through. If they all stayed with him for all the climbs that's even more impressive.
    It looks like it was a rotating group. Looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mingma_Gyabu_Sherpa did most of them with him, but wasn't on the Everest rotation.

I was under the impression, for some reason, he rotated through different team members.
    All them with great style in the mts. Hungover and a one day push to the summit of dhaulagiri had me grinning from ear to ear, then the 48hr triple header had me shaking my head. And the push only got more intense for the final crazy effort in china. Brilliant effort from start to finish

Yeah, the K2, triple header and storm pushes were nutty.
    Favorite line: "when you think you're fucked you're only 45% fucked"

I was wishing this was more like a series than a single doc. Like I could have watched an hour just on the 48 hour push. But I figure they were probably moving so fast they weren’t stopping to set up shots very often.

Does Messner get paid for his comments in these movies?
    off your knees Louie

14 Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Have they ever made a movie about him? They should do a documentary adaptation of The Chrystal Horizon

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Messner "best of" book(cant remember the actual title) is a fun read. Some crazy shit for sure. I wouldve thought there was a documentary. So many stories it'd be dificult to edit down under 2hrs id think

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I was wishing this was more like a series than a single doc. Like I could have watched an hour just on the 48 hour push. But I figure they were probably moving so fast they weren’t stopping to set up shots very often.
    I mean, they did K2 in winter this past winter, so good chance another movie is on the horizon with more of a single-climb focus. That was a FA with Nims not using oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Messner "best of" book(cant remember the actual title) is a fun read. Some crazy shit for sure. I wouldve thought there was a documentary. So many stories it'd be dificult to edit down under 2hrs id think

Be interesting to see what the pathologist finds when they autopsy Messner, or anyone else who's spent large amounts of time above 8K without O2. I've seen interviews with a few of these guys and something sometimes seems off. OTOH they are climbers, so . . .

I watched it last night what a great movie,

I was pretty impressed with how fast he moved compared to other climbing movies I have seen

at the end of the movie he did mention there will be more
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Be interesting to see what the pathologist finds when they autopsy Messner, or anyone else who's spent large amounts of time above 8K without O2. I've seen interviews with a few of these guys and something sometimes seems off. OTOH they are climbers, so . . .
    Oh definitely. I met Steve House and some other high altitude climbers - looked about 10-15 years older than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

at the end of the movie he did mention there will be more
    Yeah he said something about going bigger next time?! That comment definitely set the stage for another round of craziness.

I wouldnt be surprised. Along with a massive defree of determination , ability to suffer and strength and skills to match. Several stories in the book have stuck in my forgetful brain. Technical rock climbing well over 20k vertical ft without gloves on and skin sticking to the rock and ripping off comes to mind. I think on nanga parbat. Or gf seeing his tracks leading to a crevasse where he had fallen into it above 20k only to realize later he climbed out. Maybe the autopsy will find a horseshoe as well

jimmy and chai produced the film so his commenting was not exactly unbiased even if the accomplishment itself needed no additional polish. messner had zero reason to exaggerate anything he said though and hearing him give context was pretty meaningful.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Oh definitely. I met Steve House and some other high altitude climbers - looked about 10-15 years older than they were.
    "Young climbers look old. Old climbers look young."

I'm not a climber... that being said...

Nim's sheer determination and unwillingness to give up despite all odds was impressive. Certainly. A lot of selfishness involved, yet morphing into a project to support Nepalese climbers and the people of Nepal. Much respect

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I vaguely remember some story about a scan of Ed Viesturs' head, and I thought there was noteworthy damage from the brain repeatedly swelling against the inside of the skull. Details escape me now.

Having spent some time up high, can appreciate how truly bad it feels - so there must be long term effects/damage.

Haven't watched the movie yet but can't wait!
    north bound horse.

Finally watched. Amazing.
    Mind blowing how fast they move. Especially mid mountain, carrying camps.
    Well known fact: You ever try to keep up you'll get hurt (on the mountain or in the dining tent).
    That 3 minute simulated altitude bike ride test thing confirms what we kinda knew - some of them are seemingly biologically wired for it. Superhuman strength, acclimate faster, extract more 02 from thin air.

Very cool film, very cool project. Can't wait to see what's next.

Loved Reinhold's line 'it is not fun.' Truth.
    north bound horse.

The bots are becoming sentient.
    swing your fucking sword.

Absolutely amazing documentary, mindblowing and inspiring

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I’m sure anyone they had speak got some kind of money