Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 14 Peaks

This was an interesting read about Nims. Can't say it portrays him in the best light though. Can listen with Audm if you're lazy and illiterate like me.

https://www.gq.com/story/nims-purja-profile

Felt pretty on-brand with how he is in the movie.

That was a very interesting article, thanks.

Yeah, the "One man, 14 peaks" title has always bothered me. He's NOTHING without his team. I mean, sure, a super gifted mountaineer, but there's a reason he didn't do this whole project solo. To have that as his cover page quote just feels icky.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Yeah, the "One man, 14 peaks" title has always bothered me. He's NOTHING without his team. I mean, sure, a super gifted mountaineer, but there's a reason he didn't do this whole project solo. To have that as his cover page quote just feels icky.
    As opposed to the near entirety of mountaineer history that's the same way? Mountaineering, especially euro-centric expedition style, has always been about the one or two main people and everyone else relegated to support roles.

Yeah, but Nims had a whole spiel about how he wants to empower the next generation of sherpa climber to be individuals and take the front and center themselves and then he just talks smack about them and implies they are replaceable. Of course everyone has been doing it, but Nims has spoken out against the treatment of Nepalese sherpas in that way, and he himself treats them that same way. Was just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Yeah, but Nims had a whole spiel about how he wants to empower the next generation of sherpa climber to be individuals and take the front and center themselves and then he just talks smack about them and implies they are replaceable. Of course everyone has been doing it, but Nims has spoken out against the treatment of Nepalese sherpas in that way, and he himself treats them that same way. Was just pointing out the hypocrisy.
    True, though he is paying them better than competitors and including some in ownership. You don't exactly see western or other outfits scrambling to do the same.

Fair enough. I've def heard that, and I hope that it's true!

This was an interesting read about Nims. Can't say it portrays him in the best light though. Can listen with Audm if you're lazy and illiterate like me.

https://www.gq.com/story/nims-purja-profile
    The article reads like the author wanted to do a hit piece and couldn't come up with anything. Yeah, the guy;s a self promoter. If you want to make a living in climbing you have to be, because no one is going to see you do it except your partners unless you tell the world about it. There's been no evidence of him not doing the things he claims to have done--just the opinions of jealous climbers who claim it;s impossible because they couldn't do it. Seems like he can back up his brags which makes it ok in my book. If Messner and Jimmy Chin are fans that's good enough for me. (My kid was jazzed because Jimmy Chin asked him for beta on a descent route in Red Rocks. He was less jazzed the Jimmy's 7 and 5 year olds climb faster than he does.)

14 Peaks

I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The article reads like the author wanted to do a hit piece and couldn't come up with anything. Yeah, the guy;s a self promoter. If you want to make a living in climbing you have to be, because no one is going to see you do it except your partners unless you tell the world about it. There's been no evidence of him not doing the things he claims to have done--just the opinions of jealous climbers who claim it;s impossible because they couldn't do it. Seems like he can back up his brags which makes it ok in my book. If Messner and Jimmy Chin are fans that's good enough for me. (My kid was jazzed because Jimmy Chin asked him for beta on a descent route in Red Rocks. He was less jazzed the Jimmy's 7 and 5 year olds climb faster than he does.)
    Agreed. Is he a bit full of himself - sure, but after 14 peaks+SAS stuff he's allowed to. Is there a lot of marketing flash? Sure, but to get high roller clients you have to do high roller things. Spectacle is part of the game, otherwise people like Dean Potter would never be more than a random footnote

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I wonder
    Clearly

14 Peaks

record smashed by a norwegian girl and a sherpa

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...hest-mountains

the other article i saw from india gave him equal footing.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

revisits an interesting discussion about ethics.
    helicopters and O's and opening routes downward and flying Sherpas up to camps.
    i guess no set of circumstances is ever truly the same - but at some point it's not really apples to apples.
    north bound horse.

it's unclear to me why Ms. Harila's team is being targeted by the media for negligence.

the injured climber was a member of another team
    there were multiple teams on the mountain at the time of the incident

RIP Mohammed Hassan

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...g-sherpa-on-k2