Hyaluronic Gel Injection

Have dealt with a arthritic knee for the last 13-years. NSAIDs used to be enough, but the cartilage has really worn down and I had to try corticoid steroid injections four years ago. One injection at the beginning of the ski season would usually get me through the season, as long as ice and ibuprofen were used to manage inflammation.

I have a new Ortho and he encouraged me to try Hyaluronic Gel injections (under the brand name Orthovisc). He said I have a "young, healthy knee that should respond well". The concern is that there is degradation of the joint over time as a result of corticoid steroid injections and he wants to push out a total knee replacement as far as possible.

So, yesterday I got my first of a three series of shots. Instead of coming in through side axis of the knee, it goes in the front, below the knee cap. Despite the use of the numbing spray, it was the worst sensation I think I have ever felt related to a shot. Deep, slow, and in a terrible spot. Ugh. However, after about 2-hours, my knee started feeling better. The lingering joint pain has diminished by like 90%. I iced for an hour and only got some slight swelling. I get to go back next week for number 2 and a week after that for number 3. I'll report back on how those go and how I do this season with this course of treatment.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Sounds like Synvisc by another name. I’ve had around a dozen of those. That needle smarts like a beotch.

I’ve had PRP injections too.

I’m also tying to put off the TKR.

Keep it strong and flexible, the rest is like a hot wax.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did he literally inject right below your kneecap and not off to one side or the other? If so, that’s right through the patellar tendon and pretty fucked up. And yes, Orthovisc is just a different brand than Synvisc.

Yeah, they work. I'm on year 20 twice a year.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Did he literally inject right below your kneecap and not off to one side or the other? If so, that’s right through the patellar tendon and pretty fucked up. And yes, Orthovisc is just a different brand than Synvisc.
    It was to the left, avoiding the tendon. It was just very different than the previous injections. And it was quite the unpleasant sensation.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Thanks for posting. Doc is recommending HA injections for my 42-year old OA patellofemoral joint.

Successful for you, Bandit Man?
    sproing!