Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    They always were. They're just being catered to now.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    When did being tired at the end of a day of skiing become a bad thing? Just seems companies are trying to make skiing less of a physical thing than it actually is. I'm not saying everything should be heavy, but not everything needs to be lightweight, either. For women, there have always been lighter weight options. When did all skiers (except us TGR folks) become total wusses?
    LMAO. The current crop of skiers saw it on Insta, booked a VBRO or AirBnB & think only as far as getting a good pic.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Per Blister

• 170 [R1(25.5), R2(16), R3(23.4)]
    • 177 [R1(28.2), R2(17.7), R3(25.8)]
    • 184 [R1(30.2), R2(18.9), R3(27.4)] ~ -20g on the weight
    • 191 [R1(33.2), R2(20.8), R3(30)]

So 1m short off my estimate on the tips. That just means I'll appreciate the longer radius more. The lesser weight not so much. Just means I need to slap a pivot on them to make up.
    I like the slightly tighter radius’s.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I like the slightly tighter radius’s.
    I could see how it could help the M102 have a wider appeal, but also feels like the trend of “Enforcer-izing” laminate skis to sell more units. PhilPug skied the new one and shared his initial impressions over on SkiTalk. He used the term more “obtainable” for most skiers, which I kinda dislike. Makes me want to buy a backup pair of 184’s and not drag my feet on getting some 191’s.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If you can make a ski easier to work, but take away none of it's top-end performance, why not? The book's out on whether this applies to the new model until I get on them, but the point stands. Unlike the enforcers which really are dumbed down GP planks, the M102's still need to be ridden 'correctly' for a laminate ski, yet they are far more cooperative and don't wear me out nearly as much as the Gen 3 Mantras when done so. If manu's had that attitude we'd still be using Axiom and Explosiv derivatives, assuming 'parabolic' designs would have ever caught on too.

If you can make a ski easier to work, but take away none of it's top-end performance, why not?
    Has this ever been the case? Lighter is always a sacrifice. For most, it's worth the tradeoff. That's totally fine. It just seems that every company is selling the line of "easier" and waving their hands on the trade offs like their the Wizard of Oz "there's nothing to see behind the curtain".

Yes, I know Instagram and the experience is driving a lot of skiing right now. I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon who cares more about the higher end performance and doesn't care about easy. I like the exercise and physical nature of skiing. Is powder skiing easier now? Of course, but we still loved it back then, too.

Anyway, new gear is always fun and I'm excited to see it come out even if I have zero interest in 95% of it. I'll keep buying my heavy, harder skis so companies will keep making them.

Has this ever been the case? Lighter is always a sacrifice. For most, it's worth the tradeoff. That's totally fine. It just seems that every company is selling the line of "easier" and waving their hands on the trade offs like their the Wizard of Oz "there's nothing to see behind the curtain".

Yes, I know Instagram and the experience is driving a lot of skiing right now. I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon who cares more about the higher end performance and doesn't care about easy. I like the exercise and physical nature of skiing. Is powder skiing easier now? Of course, but we still loved it back then, too.

Anyway, new gear is always fun and I'm excited to see it come out even if I have zero interest in 95% of it. I'll keep buying my heavy, harder skis so companies will keep making them.
    Chapeau.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

If you can make a ski easier to work, but take away none of it's top-end performance, why not? The book's out on whether this applies to the new model until I get on them, but the point stands. Unlike the enforcers which really are dumbed down GP planks, the M102's still need to be ridden 'correctly' for a laminate ski, yet they are far more cooperative and don't wear me out nearly as much as the Gen 3 Mantras when done so. If manu's had that attitude we'd still be using Axiom and Explosiv derivatives, assuming 'parabolic' designs would have ever caught on too.
    Well, we will see if we lose any top end. I hope not. This seems to be a small tweak update, so there’s that. I had Gen 2 and Gen 4 Mantras and agree that the M102 is easier to ski than either of those, with no drop off in performance.

are you talking about riding chairs or human-powered skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    are you talking about riding chairs or human-powered skiing?
    Resort skiing. Weight for human powered makes sense and isn't what I'm talking about. New Mantra - "lighter, easier". New Salomon binding-"more plastic! Lighter swing weight!".

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I could see how it could help the M102 have a wider appeal, but also feels like the trend of “Enforcer-izing” laminate skis to sell more units. PhilPug skied the new one and shared his initial impressions over on SkiTalk. He used the term more “obtainable” for most skiers, which I kinda dislike. Makes me want to buy a backup pair of 184’s and not drag my feet on getting some 191’s.
    Maybe the new model 191 is the droid you are looking for?!

I remember when "elastic travel" and "retention vs release" used to be what were important to skiers who skied at a high level. So, you get a 1k gram DIN 14 alpine binding...cool. Nothing about how it compares to the STH that it obviously is replacing.
    hey BM, where did you see this elastic travel info?

and I can kinda see what you’re saying. i’m still chasing the same feeling from products i fell in love with in my thirties. axioms are gone though.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    hey BM, where did you see this elastic travel info?

and I can kinda see what you’re saying. i’m still chasing the same feeling from products i fell in love with in my thirties. axioms are gone though.
    I didn’t see anything about elastic travel, which was part of my point. They don’t even publish it in the catalog. Just that it has a low stack height, is lightweight, and is like super cool. Maybe it has sufficient elastic travel? Would love to see the data.

Everyone else has punted on a high-performance binding (except for Look), so I suppose it’s just “where the market is headed”.

Volkl didn't dumb down the M102. They just tweaked some dims and materials to make it better. That's what they do. The new M102 will have a quieter tip (less pingy on the ears) and a smoother sidecut when transitioning between those 3D variables... simply making it easier and more predictable. That's it. It's to be expected. You should buy it. Or-- buy my OG that is still mint. I have the demo that floated around Japan with an adjustable Baron. Doesn't really fit my needs anymore. Ski shreds, though.

On the “pingy” carbon tip sound phenomena on the M102 and K108, did it go away with the M6? I noticed it on my 2020 M102’s and K108’s. I just skied my 2021 M102’s for a couple days on very firm snow and it’s not there. Never bothered me anyhow, but just sharing an observation.

Looks like new top sheets across the board for Black Crows skis next year. Here are Turdell’s Animas on FWT. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642789601.187939.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	874.9 KB 
ID:	402208

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Looks like Alpride is coming out with version 2 of the super capacitor airbag system. Scott, Deuter, and BCA, Millet (and maybe more?) have packs with it. Some details on Alpride 2.0 vs 1.0

40% more compact: 1.19L (E1 1.0) vs. 2.05L (E1 2.0)

15% lighter: 1140 g (E1 2.0) vs. 1280 g (E1 1.0)

Larger 12 liter tank: 162 L (E1 2.0) vs. 150L (E1 1.0)

Increased charging speed: USB-C (E1 2.0) vs. micro USC (E1 1.0)

New compartment for AA batteries

Added an LSD screen to check the charge level of the super-capacitor and AA batteries

New deflation button with access to the outside of the bag

Addition of an automatic vacuum valve to remove the pressure from the airbag, 3 minutes after inflation

Easier to remove from the backpack, for off-ski use

Attachment 401942
    Attachment 401944

https://www.bcafloate2.com/
    Sounds like some big improvements. Hopefully one of them makes a 45ish L size bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Looks like new top sheets across the board for Black Crows skis next year. Here are Turdell’s Animas on FWT. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642789601.187939.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	874.9 KB 
ID:	402208
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski-kit-22-23-117.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	402213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski-kit-22-23-124.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	589.2 KB 
ID:	402214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski-kit-22-23-125.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	697.4 KB 
ID:	402215

New nocta shape… fuck, guess I need to buy a backup now

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    New nocta shape… fuck, guess I need to buy a backup now
    What's new about it? Is the workbook published yet?

On the “pingy” carbon tip sound phenomena on the M102 and K108, did it go away with the M6? I noticed it on my 2020 M102’s and K108’s. I just skied my 2021 M102’s for a couple days on very firm snow and it’s not there. Never bothered me anyhow, but just sharing an observation.
    M6 is quieter and in my opinion damper than the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    What's new about it? Is the workbook published yet?
    Not sure, but the topsheet says 21m radius. “It now carves much better on groomers”

I'd post pics of new Armadas and the new "Salomon/Atomic/Armada/Amer" binding as I spent the morning on them but phuck this site is hard to post pics on.
    The Locator seems to be a cross between or the offspring of the Volkl Blaze and Mfree 108 if that helps, also skied the "Shorty Pants" which will a great pow day ski and wins best name of the year so far.
    The binding makes a great demo binding but what doesn't these days (except Tyrolia puke).
    Fresh snow groomed into hard pack with wind sift as conditions so maybe not ideal for the skis intent but easy to compare from model to model and brand to brand.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Atris down to 105mm listed waist from 108mm. If it comes in lighter I’ll be stoked to tour on it. If not, I hope they don’t offset pow performance to make it carve better.

That nocta radius is down 5m but waist is the same. I mean mine ski super tight now. Both the 185 and 190. I don’t know if I would want a even smaller radius