Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Buster Highmen;6696152]Having lived there in the 70's in various Reed student houses (including the big victorian on the SE. side of Ross Island Bridge)

Wait, this one? If so, that's awesome. What was it like when you lived there? I'm guessing there has been some restoration since then: https://alexroy.johnlscott.com/poulsenhouse

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Having lived there in the 70's in various Reed student houses (including the big victorian on the SE. side of Ross Island Bridge)

Wait, this one? If so, that's awesome. What was it like when you lived there?
    Yup.

We got it and it was a trashed dump. We all had various jobs (I was a med tech at Eastmoreland Osteopathic, now gone) and in the evenings, we'd work our way through cases of Green Death while sanding the decades old wax off the unbelievable parquet floors. The top floor had been a ballroom and was partitioned intro bedrooms. I think we had 13 people living there in 10 bedrooms, 2 baths. Rent was $600/month, so less than $50/month per person.

Man we had some rager parties there, back when the Reed chem department was cranking out designer psychedelics with live bands, light shows, a basement hallway covered in aluminum foil and inflatable toys. The most interesting and eclectic group of people I ever knew. Lots of snotty entitled East Coast prep school types, but lots of brilliant people.

The turret room was a bedroom which was $60 a month.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Love it, thanks for sharing that glimpse of Portland life back then.

Damn, Buster. I can only imagine.

That’s awesome^^ always catches my eye coming over the Ross Island bridge. Never knew there was contingent of mags in SE. Currently watching 3 of those “farmhouse” lots be turned into 4x 4 unit townhomes. 16 units total next to us in Reed Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664477971.471858.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	428045

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    That’s awesome^^ always catches my eye coming over the Ross Island bridge. Never knew there was contingent of mags in SE. Currently watching 3 of those “farmhouse” lots be turned into 4x 4 unit townhomes. 16 units total next to us in Reed Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664477971.471858.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	428045
    Oh shit dude, if this is where I think it is (I'll try not to be too specific) I lived in the blue house across the street that is on the corner next to the big new houses, and I live about five blocks away currently. Old lady lived in the house, and let a bunch of drug dealers operate out of the out buildings when we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    But practically no lot.

edit: yeah nice house. Looking at the street view, completely out of sync with the neighbors.
    That's very on-brand for new development in Portland. Build something ultra-modern and absolutely nothing like any building or dwelling anywhere near it. It's tacky, especially in old, established neighborhoods, which is where most of this redevelopment is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Saw this on Reddit. Whoever designed this floorplan has perhaps never actually lived in a house. But apparently someone was willing to pay $780k for it.

Attachment 428026
    wut

It's like two, concentric circular dwellings nested in with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    That is clearly an architect designed house. Trimless doors, all custom cabinetry and trim work. It looks worth it, but who knows how the market will value it.

[ETA]I looked it up. Not architect designed (only stamp was engineer). But from the drafting it’s clearly someone who worked as an arch or in an arch office…just hasn’t passed test yet [or maybe won’t for other reasons]. Nice project.
    They divided the lot and built this. Permit issued in 2020 but not finaled until 2022 so it’s a bit of a speculative development.
    Also on-brand for Portland.

Yup.

We got it and it was a trashed dump. We all had various jobs (I was a med tech at Eastmoreland Osteopathic, now gone) and in the evenings, we'd work our way through cases of Green Death while sanding the decades old wax off the unbelievable parquet floors. The top floor had been a ballroom and was partitioned intro bedrooms. I think we had 13 people living there in 10 bedrooms, 2 baths. Rent was $600/month, so less than $50/month per person.

Man we had some rager parties there, back when the Reed chem department was cranking out designer psychedelics with live bands, light shows, a basement hallway covered in aluminum foil and inflatable toys. The most interesting and eclectic group of people I ever knew. Lots of snotty entitled East Coast prep school types, but lots of brilliant people.

The turret room was a bedroom which was $60 a month.
    Right on. Old school cool Portland.

Zillow/Redfin Gems

Interesting tidbit: they slid it in before the zoning changed

You can’t do the old max volume massing anymore

R-zones have FAR now (Floor Area Ratio is a limitation on bulk) where they only used to have the height and setback restrictions

City changed this in response to all the overscaled McMansions developers were squeezing into neighborhoods.

Owners will be pissed when they want to do an addition and can’t cuz of FAR, but ultimately it was the right way to restrain the scale of neighborhoods

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Oh shit dude, if this is where I think it is (I'll try not to be too specific) I lived in the blue house across the street that is on the corner next to the big new houses, and I live about five blocks away currently. Old lady lived in the house, and let a bunch of drug dealers operate out of the out buildings when we were there.
    Ha! Small world, she passed away a few years ago but luckily never knew of or saw any squatters in the out buildings. Only rats. Say hi if you see a husky and labradoodle running the sidewalks

My son is down at Wimbledon.

I didn't even know he played.

This is his thing, played at the Wimbledon apartments these days:

His team is ranked around 25th in the world these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Interesting tidbit: they slid it in before the zoning changed

You can’t do the old max volume massing anymore

R-zones have FAR now (Floor Area Ratio is a limitation on bulk) where they only used to have the height and setback restrictions

City changed this in response to all the overscaled McMansions developers were squeezing into neighborhoods.

Owners will be pissed when they want to do an addition and can’t cuz of FAR, but ultimately it was the right way to restrain the scale of neighborhoods
    I wonder how that squares with Portland trying to up the density and encouraging infill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I wonder how that squares with Portland trying to up the density and encouraging infill?
    incentives are written in to increase FAR in exchange for number of dwelling units & bonus for low income unit

My son is down at Wimbledon.
    https://www.kafourymcdougal.com/kafo...re-2018-05-25/

I knew that place was a shithole, but wow

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I knew that place was a shithole, but wow
    I know the victim and know quite a few people that have lived there when they were younger and it's certainly not high end. Probably the perfect place to house college kids. Reed is pretty much connected to it and nobody will give a shit when your cooking lsd in your kitchen.

I wish I'd known, but all other options fell through. My son is very introverted and doesn't have any leads on the few student houses.

Honestly Wimbledon seemed like the most solid place we could find. Lots of sketchy apt complexes around 26th and Steele through Powell and 39th.

btw, no Reed students cook up drugs at their apt, that's what the chem department is for.

I wish I'd known, but all other options fell through. My son is very introverted and doesn't have any leads on the few student houses.

Honestly Wimbledon seemed like the most solid place we could find. Lots of sketchy apt complexes around 26th and Steele through Powell and 39th.

btw, no Reed students cook up drugs at their apt, that's what the chem department is for.
    I wouldn't bat an eye about putting my own college kids there. Close to school, trader Joe's, 7-11 and bars.

Zillow/Redfin Gems

Location is good for sure. New dispensary across the street, too

Don’t be ridiculous. College kids aren’t interested in marihuana.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Mine isn't.
    He's fiercely focused on an absolute command of all things academic, particularly physics and math. Quiet, introverted with a subtle contempt for humanity.
    Doesn't drink or drug.

Reads 1000+ pages a week of various sci-fi/fantasy trashers.

Reed is putting him up to Fulbrights and shit with which he wants nothing to do.

They say stoner skips a generation

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    They say stoner skips a generation
    So did the intellectual drive.

My dad was on the Nobel college for physics, the booby prize for being dropped from contention. He never bothered to get to know his grandson.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-06-2022 at 10:18 PM.