Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Plywood with thicker plys

^ Yep. Studs glued together in layers like plywood. So the panels are structural too.

I would personally rather look at wood than concrete.

But I get the aesthetic isn't for everyone. You can leave it exposed on the interior, or paint it or hang drywall. On the exterior you'd for sure want to make sure your protecting it from the elements.

I think its cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    ^ Yep. Studs glued together in layers like plywood. So the panels are structural too.

I would personally rather look at wood than concrete.

But I get the aesthetic isn't for everyone. You can leave it exposed on the interior, or paint it or hang drywall. On the exterior you'd for sure want to make sure your protecting it from the elements.

I think its cool.
    Same. I'm guessing on the exterior, you'd slap up something akin to Tyvek, then sheath it with some sort of siding?

Most likely non-combustible cladding.

More wood and more engineering sounds more expensive. Are the savings in unfinished interiors?

Zillow/Redfin Gems

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    More wood and more engineering sounds more expensive. Are the savings in unfinished interiors?
    Wood is growable/replaceable & recyclable. So, therefore more sustainable. The whole laminating process takes advantage of not needing old growth for large framing members.

Even in Europe I’m not sure it’s yet cheaper than studs + plasterboard (gyp board, here), or masonry for that matter…maybe a euro can comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Most likely non-combustible cladding.
    Of note, timber of those dimensions is quite fire resistant. It gets it’s own fire resistance table in the building code.

I don't think the actual labor is as much, framing requirements are reduced.
    I like the look. I wonder if one could just stain the outside.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Wood building is a no go in a lot of the world, bugs will eat it up. I think tilt up panels are quicker and better than 3D printing but it's not as cool.

I helped on a study of CLT for Oregon State about 10 years ago.

The crux - CLT uses a lot more wood fiber for a given dwelling vs stick built. In the fiber-constrained environment of the western US (these panels don't travel well), that means remanufacturing a shitload of economy-grade boards to make CLT. So it's hard to make the economics work unless the fiber source is something like beetle kill pine.

CLT also requires more resin per square foot than plywood (and about the same as OSB) so there's that to consider as well

Concrete has plenty of its own sustainability issues:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ng-out-of-sand
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02612-5

And, yeah, I too would prefer to look at wood rather than concrete. Even engineered wood has a warmth and charm to it that seems impossible to replicate with concrete, though if anyone has examples to the contrary I'd love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I helped on a study of CLT for Oregon State about 10 years ago.
    Didn't we all?

This is more of a WTF. I can't imagine this house going for anywhere near the $2m they're asking. Who's out of touch, me or them?

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/4.../home/49683531

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    This is more of a WTF. I can't imagine this house going for anywhere near the $2m they're asking. Who's out of touch, me or them?

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/4...etts-St-97206/
    Feels steep, but 3500 sq ft in that area? Maybe. Doubt there are a ton of buyers for it.

Feels like there’s a few houses in that area of SE, and towards me in Reed CollegeWoodstock that are priced “correctly “ in theory, but are sitting.

Plaster grounds at windows and doors, nice details throughout.. I don't know about comps in the area but it doesn't look like your typical spec house.

I like it.

But practically no lot.

edit: yeah nice house. Looking at the street view, completely out of sync with the neighbors.

Saw this on Reddit. Whoever designed this floorplan has perhaps never actually lived in a house. But apparently someone was willing to pay $780k for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linfield.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	428026

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    But practically no lot.

edit: yeah nice house. Looking at the street view, completely out of sync with the neighbors.
    It's one of those block by block things. That's an OK area, but just a few blocks from Powell Blvd, which is 4 lanes and has a lot of car / tent camping in spots. A few blocks further north would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Saw this on Reddit. Whoever designed this floorplan has perhaps never actually lived in a house. But apparently someone was willing to pay $780k for it.

That's some serious WTF.

Interior bedroom with no egress. Nice..

Not a place to take a long shit with everybody needin’ to be walking through the shitting area to get to their rooms.

Zillow/Redfin Gems

That is clearly an architect designed house. Trimless doors, all custom cabinetry and trim work. It looks worth it, but who knows how the market will value it.

[ETA]I looked it up. Not architect designed (only stamp was engineer). But from the drafting it’s clearly someone who worked as an arch or in an arch office…just hasn’t passed test yet [or maybe won’t for other reasons]. Nice project.
    They divided the lot and built this. Permit issued in 2020 but not finaled until 2022 so it’s a bit of a speculative development.
    Last edited by ::: :::; 09-29-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    It's one of those block by block things. That's an OK area, but just a few blocks from Powell Blvd, which is 4 lanes and has a lot of car / tent camping in spots. A few blocks further north would be better.
    Just looked at the map. Turns out I've spent a lot of time in that area. Our friends lived just off Division west of CC.

It's got a certain flow to it.

Like none.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Feels steep, but 3500 sq ft in that area? Maybe. Doubt there are a ton of buyers for it.

Feels like there’s a few houses in that area of SE, and towards me in Reed CollegeWoodstock that are priced “correctly “ in theory, but are sitting.
    Having lived there in the 70's in various Reed student houses (including the big victorian on the SE. side of Ross Island Bridge and the Frigidaire on the SE corner of Woodstock and 39th), it really is amazing to see the prices of some of those houses now. A few of the old funky farmhouses that are almost falling down now valued in excess of 800k?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/101-E-L...1641976_zpid/? But apparently someone was willing to pay $780k for it.
    First owners named their son Nixon