Janet’s Cabin (CO) beta

Forgive me maggots for I have sinned. It’s been many years since I’ve made any reasonable contribution to this place and now I come asking for information. We’ve got a group going to Janet’s Cabin near Copper Mtn. late next week and I’m wondering if there’s any chance we’re going to get to do any touring. Does anybody have any feel for how much snow we’ll need to be able to safely ride/ski in the area surrounding Janet’s? Sounds like it’s possible the immediate area could accumulate a couple of feet (onto the current dry ground) between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been there in so long I couldn't say, but there are some mellow slopes that will probably be skiable with all the recent snow. Are you on any FB groups? You could probably get an answer in this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/623781927703509 I know the former hutmaster is a member of that one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    Forgive me maggots for I have sinned. It’s been many years since I’ve made any reasonable contribution to this place and now I come asking for information. We’ve got a group going to Janet’s Cabin near Copper Mtn. late next week and I’m wondering if there’s any chance we’re going to get to do any touring. Does anybody have any feel for how much snow we’ll need to be able to safely ride/ski in the area surrounding Janet’s? Sounds like it’s possible the immediate area could accumulate a couple of feet (onto the current dry ground) between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is one pretty mellow slope right outside the cabin that should be ok. Up higher might be a bit sketchy with this new snow but also the fact that the pack is super thin. No matter what, Janet’s cabin is pretty plush, you’ll have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As of the end of last week you could walk about halfway to the cabin before you could put on skis, and even then it was thin. There was still some snow sticking around the hut and if you we get all the snow we are supposed to over the next week then you could probably do some touring, of the limited early-season type. We need about two more storms like this one.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Last time I stayed at Janet's was a year very similar to this one, around the same time of year, with the same shitty, weak snowpack. We had a blast, but stayed on the plethora of low angle terrain right around the hut. Basically right out the door, and ski right back to the hut.

The new snow will definitely help, but just remember that the snow under it is all garbage.

Moral of the story, bring lots of booze and recreational drugs, a few sleds and shovels, and lots of PMA. And use the sauna as much as possible.

If I was going, I'd probably dig out an old 3 pin BC tele set up or something just to make it interesting.

? PMA = positive mental attitude?

Psychologically Modified Acceptance
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Both

Philadelphia Museum of Art
    "Can't you see..."

Psilocybin Mescaline Acid
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Psilocybin Mescaline Acid
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Definitely.

pretty sure the sauna burned down an eon ago

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    pretty sure the sauna burned down an eon ago
    Janet's is one of the few that hasn't, as far as I know anyway. I was there just a few years ago and it was still standing.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 12-11-2021 at 08:50 AM.

I think it's Polar Star that had the sauna fire.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm pretty sure the one at vances is dunzo too. But you can turn any yurt or a hut into a sauna pretty easily.

Free wood can be a zesty endeavor.

Thanks all! Still not sure if we’re gonna get to tour at all but it’ll be a great weekend regardless.