Applicable math problem for mags..

If I hypothetically wanted to buy a ski from someone who mounted said ski at recommended with pivots for a 327mm bsl, could I mount that ski somewhere close to +2cm of recommended for a 293mm bsl? Would also likely be using pivots.. could potentially use pivot toe hole pattern and drill new heel pattern for my smaller feet...

I feel like I should be able to figure this out

If you use Pivots:

-reusing the toe holes would move your boot center 1.7cm forward. The new heel holes will be 3.4cm in front of the old ones.
    -reusing the heel holes would move your boot center 1.7cm back. The new toe holes will be 3.4cm behind the old ones.
    -fully remounting on recommended would put the new toe holes 1.7cm behind the current ones, and the new heel holes 1.7cm in front of the old ones

327 - 293 = 34
    34 / 2 = 17
    17mm = 1.7cm

I have not checked if any of the holes would conflict if moved 1.7 or 3.4cm.

If you use a different binding none of this is relevant.

The change in mount point is half the difference of the BSLs.

So 327-293mm = 34mm. 34mm/2 = 17mm = 1.7cm. So your effective mount with the currrent Pivot toe piece is +1.7cm. Then you can redrill the heels up 3.4 cm, which is plenty of distance between existing holes.

Edit: adrenalated beat me to it.

A +2 mount with the new shorter sole would put the toe piece 3mm forward of the current mount, so not good. Better would be to do a +1.7 mount to keep the toe where it is. That would require the heel to move forward 34mm. I don’t know the hole spacing on the pivot heel, so not sure if that would cause issues, but may be able to work around it by taking advantage of the (small) range of adjustment on the Pivot heel.

Edit: need to up my typing speed apparently. And who new TGR loved math so much

If you use the same toe, remount heel, you should be in the neighborhood of around 1.7cm forward.

(32.7cm - 29.3cm) ÷ 2 = 1.7cm

Edit: oh wow, everyone and their mom already answered the question at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you use Pivots:

-reusing the toe holes would move your boot center 1.7cm forward. The new heel holes will be 3.4cm in front of the old ones.
    -reusing the heel holes would move your boot center 1.7cm back. The new toe holes will be 3.4cm behind the old ones.
    -fully remounting on recommended would put the new toe holes 1.7cm behind the current ones, and the new heel holes 1.7cm in front of the old ones

327 - 293 = 34
    34 / 2 = 17
    17mm = 1.7cm

I have not checked if any of the holes would conflict if moved 1.7 or 3.4cm.

If you use a different binding none of this is relevant.
    The dividing by 2 is assuming midsole of a boot is dead center? I don't believe it is.. but its still super close

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The change in mount point is half the difference of the BSLs.

So 327-293mm = 34mm. 34mm/2 = 17mm = 1.7cm. So your effective mount with the currrent Pivot toe piece is +1.7cm. Then you can redrill the heels up 3.4 cm, which is plenty of distance between existing holes.

Edit: adrenalated beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    A +2 mount with the new shorter sole would put the toe piece 3mm forward of the current mount, so not good. Better would be to do a +1.7 mount to keep the toe where it is. That would require the heel to move forward 34mm. I don’t know the hole spacing on the pivot heel, so not sure if that would cause issues, but may be able to work around it by taking advantage of the (small) range of adjustment on the Pivot heel.

Edit: need to up my typing speed apparently. And who new TGR loved math so much
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    If you use the same toe, remount heel, you should be in the neighborhood of around 1.7cm forward.

(32.7cm - 29.3cm) ÷ 2 = 1.7cm

Edit: oh wow, everyone and their mom already answered the question at the same time.
    Okay, thanks for all the replies.. just need to figure out if the new heel holes would be interfering..

Just fill any sketchy holes with dowels and epoxy and put them wherever the fuck you want them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    The dividing by 2 is assuming midsole of a boot is dead center? I don't believe it is.. but its still super close
    ....that's what boot center means?

Did an overlay for you. The original 327mm BSL holes are in blue, the new 293mm in orange. Drilling both at recommended is on the left, and drilling the 293mm BSL at +2cm is on the right. The holes definitely overlap in the toe and are too close to comfort in the heel. I checked +1cm as well, same story unfortunately. From the looks of it your only real option without drastically changing the mount point (to say +4cm) is on the line.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 3.38.17 PM.png
Views: 185
Size:  119.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Did an overlay for you. The original 327mm BSL holes are in blue, the new 293mm in orange. Drilling both at recommended is on the left, and drilling the 293mm BSL at +2cm is on the right. The holes definitely overlap in the toe and are too close to comfort in the heel. I checked +1cm as well, same story unfortunately. From the looks of it your only real option without drastically changing the mount point (to say +4cm) is on the line.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 3.38.17 PM.png
Views: 185
Size:  119.4 KB
    This is badass. Thanks so much! If its not too much trouble, could you post what the overlap would look like reusing the toe holes (+1.7, instead of +2) for a 285 bsl? I think I could possibly reuse the toe holes and drill new heel holes for a smaller bsl then just work with ~10mm of pivot adjustability to make this work..

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ....that's what boot center means?
    you are right... Im not sure what i was typing there.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    This is badass. Thanks so much! If its not too much trouble, could you post what the overlap would look like reusing the toe holes (+1.7, instead of +2) for a 285 bsl? I think I could possibly reuse the toe holes and drill new heel holes for a smaller bsl then just work with ~10mm of pivot adjustability to make this work..
    You're probably good there drilling-wise as long as you get some solid plugs/epoxy in the old heel holes. Just over 10.5mm between the centers of the closest ones. That said, you might have trouble trying to fit a 293mm boot into Pivots mounted at 285. +/- 7 or 8mm is about as much as you get on Pivots, if I remember correctly from the last time I mounted a pair.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 4.15.01 PM.png
Views: 154
Size:  63.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    You're probably good there drilling-wise as long as you get some solid plugs/epoxy in the old heel holes. Just over 10.5mm between the centers of the closest ones. That said, you might have trouble trying to fit a 293mm boot into Pivots mounted at 285. +/- 7 or 8mm is about as much as you get on Pivots, if I remember correctly from the last time I mounted a pair.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 4.15.01 PM.png
Views: 154
Size:  63.1 KB
    thank you so much for doing that! and yes i believe they advertise 10mm of adjustment but it is closer to 8mm.. thats why I chose 285 to be safe..

^^^That's great! I'm always down for reusing holes when "close enough"...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!