School me on Cameras

Moving because I'm an idiot and didn't realize that there's a whole photo section on this forum...

I've been pretty consistently disappointed on how my ipod phone 7 takes pictures these days, even more so when it's dark out. So I've been playing with the idea of getting a cheap-ish dedicated camera for snapping pics.

Therefore I was hoping the magtrust could school me a bit of pros and cons with cameras.

A bit of background and what I am looking for:
    • I am most likely going to be getting a new-er phone in the next 2-3 months, and it's most likely going to be a 12 or 13 mini.
    • With a dedicated camera I am not looking to break the bank, spending ideally under $300 on something new or used.
    • Most shots would be outdoors, while either mountain biking or skiing.
      • Also means a high probability of water, dirt and snow around/on the camera.

While I've been looking at used DSLRs, the general form factor does not seem conducive to bring it along while riding/skiing. So, I've been eyeballing point and shoots in looking at either the Lumix lineup or the Powershot lineup. However, are the benefits of a point and shoot big enough for me to warrant over a newer smart phone?

Additionally, if moving to a DSLR I would most likely go with a used offering. Is a ~5-10 year old DSLR body worth a purchase, or are the pictures from something like that going to be a wash? Lastly, for folks using DSLR what is the best method for carry whilst skiing and ski touring?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Compared to a iPhone 12-13, most non-DSLR/mirrorless options won't provide that much better image quality (for viewing on a screen). The only shortcoming for the iPhone is if you care about being to utilize zoom for shots - it's is limited. Otherwise, very high IQ for it's size, durability and the fact that you'll likely always have it with you anyways.

I've had a DSLR for 15yrs, done a lot of skiing with one. I still often use my iPhone as much or more when I'm out with the DSLR... Currently have a D750+24-120 (heavy!). I use a holster pouch connected to my chest straps or waist band. I also have the Peak Designs camera clip for drier days on the backpack. Some mount their holster bag on their hip.

5-10y/o DSLR will have the best image quality potential compared to a point and shoot at the $300 mark. But a $300 used DSLR will likely mean a plastic kit lens that you'll have to be a little careful with. The DSLR is bulky, but will likely outlive a similarly aged point and shoot. A Sony A-series mirrorless would get you a little more portable and compact.

For your budget, most would say go: Sony RX100 II or a Canon G7x to get the best image quality from the 1" sensors and portability. Downsides are limited zoom range and that's ~8y/o tech/cameras. Panasonic LUMIX ZS100 has a 1" sensor, similar features with double the zoom range, but a slightly slower lens. Would be more versatile for ski shots.

You could also get something like the Panasonic ZS80k for $300, which has a smaller sensor but still good IQ for it's size, tons of zoom range, good features and only a few years old.

Biggest question is your willingness to actually carry and use a bigger camera to have/say you have better looking photos, or if you want the easy of something in your pocket that's easy, quick and less obtrusive. If you lean that direction, dig into nordkette's thread two down.

I think phones have killed the sub $1000 dedicated camera (DSLR, P&S, Fixed lens) category, so when you're talking about the kind of money you plan to spend I'd just stick with the phone.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Are you trying to take photos OF biking/skiing? Or WHILE biking/skiing?

You realistically need more reach than a phone can give you to shoot action shots, so any of the above recs sound good. Otherwise, a 13 mini would give you better overall quality than a cheap PS or dSLR.

If you go dSLR look at the “nifty fifty” option every manufacturer has. They are a 50mm f1.8 lens that are usually around $1-200. It’s the easiest and cheapest way to get a professional looking photo from any dSLR. Your lens is going to be more important than what body you use for image quality.

School me on Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think phones have killed the sub $1000 dedicated camera (DSLR, P&S, Fixed lens) category, so when you're talking about the kind of money you plan to spend I'd just stick with the phone.
    Maybe for the average Joe, but an iphone comes nowhere close to the capability of some of the sub $1000 point and shoots on the market. Someone who already knows how to operate a camera or wants to learn will quickly be utilizing features you won’t find on any current phone.

Maybe let's call it the sub-$750 category that phones have killed. Certainly the sub $500 category.

I have an a6000, which certainly outperforms a phone, but without a couple different lenses (which puts you into the $1000 bracket) a new iPhone gets damn close for many types of photography.

The Panasonic gx85, I think it was, that I picked up last year definitely had a niche for video under 500 on sale. I'm sure there's a better option on sale now.

For still images, it's hard to beat a newer phone unless you need crazy telephoto.

Keep this in mind too, I can't tell a difference in performance between my old s8+and my new s21 ultra until I turn on the camera. So you could always get a cheaper phone and a nicer camera. Seems like all you're paying up for in new phones is the camera.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

As an update:

I was able to snag an Olympus E-PL6 with lens and flash. It seems a bit more cumbersome than I wanted, but it was well below the budget I was originally shooting for (pun intended). So, I'll give it a go with a lower end, older DSLR, and see how it goes.

Overall, like half of all college age males, you could say I'm a bit stoked!

Outside of massive trial and error, are there any good online tutorials or youtube videos that folks would suggest that I look through?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

This is an extremely useful lens for ski photos: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._f3_5_5_6.html

You can find one for much less on ebay.

For ski photos I recommend starting in shutter priority mode. 1/2000 is good. You can go a bit slower if it's darker. 1/1000 minimum.

Consider a class at the local community college to increase the learning curve. Get stoked!!

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    As an update:

Outside of massive trial and error, are there any good online tutorials or youtube videos that folks would suggest that I look through?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...torials-Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Lots of good stuff in that thread. Anything software related is probably outdated by now, though.

Take a look at some of these books for just straight understanding of photography basics and rules.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...estseller-list

You can probably find a book about your specific camera as well that should get you through all the options and modes (or there may be a 20 minute YouTube video that does the same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    As an update:

I was able to snag an Olympus E-PL6 with lens
    Noice M43!!
    90% of skiing is just looking cool