Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Retail, or wholesale?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Retail, or wholesale?
    I took an average of $80/gram and added in a slight bulk discount.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Here in Utah all it takes is some paperwork describing how you came about the vehicle, submit some pics and an estimate of it’s worth and give the state a check for $6.00 to cover the paperwork. Couple months later you’ll be mailed a title in your name.

I have to do it fairly often, people leave cars at auto shops regularly.

Back in my dealership days a few of us mechanics came by a couple beaters. My mechanic buddy Doug had a grand torino he didn’t want anymore and one of our service advisors gave us an IH scout. We had big fun with those things. Two of us were roommates in a house out in the country, big chunk of land with the house that had all kinds of trails cut.

It took two weekends to kill the Torino, the first weekend we took out the radiator and knocked the starter off. We came back to the house with a radiator leaking, crammed some bread into the holes and went to go for another round. Hit the key and nothing happened, look down in the engine bay and the starter is gone. It was dragging by the cable on the ground back by the trans. No idea how it happened but it’d busted the ears right off the starter.

We got a junk yard starter the following weekend and set out for more fun. We had my roommates brother in law and his 10yo nephew in the car, headed out for a trail cruise. This was all heavily wooded hilly land, we were blazing down a trail and I hollered out “Swing the rear end out and smack a tree with it!”

My roommate who was driving steered to the right and snapped the wheel back left to try and swing the rear end out. That fucking boat on wheels completely understeered and we plowed head first into a good sized tree. That was the end of the Torino, his sister was not impressed with her son’s bruising due to our “fun.” Pretty sure the brother in law didn’t see pussy for months.

Luckily the brother in law had a tractor and we were able to get the Torino out of the woods and to the scrap yard. It also came in useful to get the Scout out of numerous mishaps.

That Scout took us a few months to kill. It was much more robust than the Torino. As a matter of fact we used it as a defacto bulldozer to make new trails. That thing would mow over 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch trees with no problem. Stand of saplings in the way of a “new” trail? No problem, just mow right through them. We had a couple jumps set up, the scout handled those much better than the torino. After a few jumps the torino had gaps at the bottom of the doors and an overlap at the top. The scout handled them just fine if you didn’t mind bouncing off the roof on landing.

Two of the weekends I was solely responsible for the fun ending as twice I peeled off the front tire going too fast into dirt curves. I got that fucker stuck on a few 3-4 inch trees with the front wheels off the ground, tractor came in handy.

Most of these trail cruises were heavily alcohol influenced, the two torino weekends were also fueled by boomers.

Ahh, good times. How I never died while young escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    About 30 pounds.
    That's a lot of crack.

In Colorado there are separate laws for vehicles at a shop and regular abandoned vehicles. The shops have it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    That's a lot of crack.
    More than enough for most endeavors I would think. That 1Mil probably does go pretty far relatively.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc
    Ahh, good times. How I never died while young escapes me.

Well that's one thing you don't have to worry about now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It's the hookers that really bite into the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Here in Utah all it takes is some paperwork describing how you came about the vehicle, submit some pics and an estimate of it’s worth and give the state a check for $6.00 to cover the paperwork.

...[assorted shenanigans]

Most of these trail cruises were heavily alcohol influenced, the two torino weekends were also fueled by boomers.
    Well, that escalated quickly.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

I’m still chugging along, so far my canary in the coal mind is still plugging along.

My first car was a 1974 Torino. Good story Bob

What happens when this convict and his cell mates comes looking for his jeep upon his release? Please post a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I’m still chugging along, so far my canary in the coal mind is still plugging along.
    Had to change the fuel mixture and could use some body work but the motor's running fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    What happens when this convict and his cell mates comes looking for his jeep upon his release? Please post a TR.
    Are they like a little 4-wheeling club?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Do not listen to this coward.

Who would expect a car to be where left months later? If missing he would likely suspect it was impounded. That search failing, he would be SOL. Find a garage owning friend to say it was left there based on comments on this page.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

From the WP today--
    "The Air India passenger jet from Mumbai prepared to land in Geneva on Jan. 24, 1966, but never made it. The Boeing 707 crashed near the summit of Mont Blanc in the French Alps, killing all 117 people aboard and scattering wreckage across the mountainside.

There, a box marked “Made in India” kept its secret for nearly a half-century.

Then, in 2013, a man in his 20s climbed atop a glacier and found the box. Inside, he discovered a trove of emeralds and sapphires worth a small fortune. The climber, whom authorities have not identified, turned his haul in to police.

On Friday — eight years later — authorities announced that, because their efforts to find passengers’ heirs had proved fruitless, the anonymous climber would split the treasure with Chamonix, a French village that sits on the country’s eastern edge and shares borders with Switzerland and Italy.

In total, the stones are worth about $169,000, Chamonix Mayor Eric Fournier said, according to the Guardian."

So if you find a Jeep on top of Mont Blanc I guess you could keep half of it, if you could get it down.

So the euro cops/town took 50% for a buried treasure this guy climbed up a mountain for? In America they wouldn't even give you 50% and they would charge you capital gains taxes on top of the "reward" you do get.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Who would expect a car to be where left months later? If missing he would likely suspect it was impounded. That search failing, he would be SOL. Find a garage owning friend to say it was left there based on comments on this page.
    The owner surely would do a VIN search. If you had somehow obtained the title for the car, the owner would find you.

But in order to get a title by any means, surely there would be a VIN search first, and then you would likely find the owner, if he is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    From the WP today--
    "The Air India passenger jet from Mumbai prepared to land in Geneva on Jan. 24, 1966, but never made it. The Boeing 707 crashed near the summit of Mont Blanc in the French Alps, killing all 117 people aboard and scattering wreckage across the mountainside.

There, a box marked “Made in India” kept its secret for nearly a half-century.

Then, in 2013, a man in his 20s climbed atop a glacier and found the box. Inside, he discovered a trove of emeralds and sapphires worth a small fortune. The climber, whom authorities have not identified, turned his haul in to police.

On Friday — eight years later — authorities announced that, because their efforts to find passengers’ heirs had proved fruitless, the anonymous climber would split the treasure with Chamonix, a French village that sits on the country’s eastern edge and shares borders with Switzerland and Italy.

In total, the stones are worth about $169,000, Chamonix Mayor Eric Fournier said, according to the Guardian."

So if you find a Jeep on top of Mont Blanc I guess you could keep half of it, if you could get it down.
    So that's what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

In other news, Austria and Italy have agreed to divide Otzi (the original, not our Otzi) in two with one half going to each country. It has yet to be determined whether he will be divided at the waist or down the middle.