Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The beginning of the end of Bob Baffert.

Today, Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit died to of an apparent heart attack after a work out at Santa Anita. This is just the most recent blemish on the record of race horse training "superstar" Bob Baffert. The guy loves the limelight and soaks up fame and glory like no one else. At least 75 of his horses have died at the track since 2000. He is a notorious drugger of horses, and Medina Spirit is no exception. You will recall that his Kentucky Derby win came into question when it was discovered that he tested positive for a banned substance prior to the race. In fact more of Baffert's horses have died on the track than any other trainer, ever.
    I hope that he loses his license, and wouldn't mind if he is hanged, drawn and quartered.

RIP
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

RIP to the horse.

Death by blowtorch to this asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Horse racing is a barbaric sport and more crooked than boxing. The whole thing should be shut down.

He's the Vince McMahan of horse racing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

santa anita has a bad record of horses dying, regardless of the owner. . And it was used to lock up Japanese American citizens post pearl harbor, living in horse stalls before being sent off to the camps.

Baffert's undeniably unlikable but jeebus ....... at least wait until the necropsy comers back; could be a simple ruptured aorta.
    Last edited by PB; 12-07-2021 at 03:01 PM.

My best party of the year is our Derby party, but this sort of thing takes some of the joy out of it. RIP Medina Spirit.

I imagine if the guy continues to make people money, he’ll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    My best party of the year is our Derby party, but this sort of thing takes some of the joy out of it. RIP Medina Spirit.

I imagine if the guy continues to make people money, he’ll be just fine.

With Art 100% on this one.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hate the game, not the player?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Baffert's undeniably unlikable but jeebus ....... at least wait until the autopsy comers back; could be a simple ruptured aorta.
    Athletes just past the prime of their careers die all the time from heart disease caused by years of performance enhancing drugs and pain killers. We've established a history of drug use.. It will be interesting if they do look for that factor. I'm betting if Bob is paying for the procedure we'll never hear the results in that level of detail

You wonder how much the horse was insured for (probably a ton), and, therefore, you wonder if somebody at the insurance company is going to investigate that claim just a little more carefully than most.

In the meantime, on Jan. 24, there is a hearing scheduled to determine whether Baffert will be banned from NY racetracks (Aqueduct, Belmont, Saratoga) which stems from prior drugging of Medina Spirit. At this point, he should just strongly consider retiring. He will get his eclipse award and be entered into the Racing HoF.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Horse racing is a barbaric sport and more crooked than boxing. The whole thing should be shut down.
    I'm in this camp. Raising horses for food would be less barbaric.

Where do you think the unwanted horses go?
    They’re called kill pens for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I'm in this camp. Raising horses for food would be less barbaric.
    aside from race horses getting to run once in their life and leave the pen. If your child plays a bowed stringed instrument you are a part of the horse meat economy.

Violas, man ....... they're the worst.

But the dry flies ....... OMFG

There is no more beautiful and majestic animal than a fine thoroughbred. For the eye candy alone, I want it to stay. When I lived in Saratoga, an entertaining day would be to walk to the track, grab a cheap Tanq and tonic, and check out the horses and women.
    The only thing better is to watch yearlings prancing around on a good breeders farm in Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There is no more beautiful and majestic animal than a fine thoroughbred. For the eye candy alone, I want it to stay. When I lived in Saratoga, an entertaining day would be to walk to the track, grab a cheap Tanq and tonic, and check out the horses and women.
    The only thing better is to watch yearlings prancing around on a good breeders farm in Spring.
    thank you Catherine the great

a sad outcome for Medina Spirit -

horses were an important part of my childhood, and later in my life as my father had horses in his Retirement...

as long as we tolerate the misuse of drugs in Sport, these stories will continue to be written.

Art is correct - that this is profitable, encourages it
    ( the 'glory' is also a great motivator ).

a ruptured aorta (?)
    Betamethazone has never been implicated as causing death (?)
    those who believe it is moral to drive an animal to it's death, I will not understand.

I still love the horses -
    ( my father's horses ) took good care of my Dad through his seventies...

Thank you. tj
    Last edited by skiJ; 12-08-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    With Art 100% on this one.
    But what about when Derby Day falls on Cinco? Bourbon or tequila? I had to call my sponsor and ask..

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Fuck this is going to be underappreciated

I had to Google it but that was a very good one.

I was hoping for a Mr Hands joke but that’ll do.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You should tour Lexington in the Spring and hit up Keeneland for the Yearling Sale (or really any of their 4 Yearling Sales - September is particularly choice as its followed by the Fall Meet), the money, and women, would blow your hairplugs off Ben. Nevermind its the prettiest venue and region in the global horsey set.

I'm not a road rider but by the size of the pelotons, the roads through horse and bourbon country look to be some of the best.
    I still call it The Jake.