Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FYI: cheap skins for all but tiny skiers

Suck & Chuck has a bunch of the backcountry-branded G3 skins for sale in all widths and sizes except for XS. That's skis 161-199cm. I think they are basically the Alpinist model (all nylon, low-nap) I just bought some and they were $122 out the door.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

you couldn't pay me to use those skins, I had them on my first touring setup and Im very glad to be rid of them

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    you couldn't pay me to use those skins, I had them on my first touring setup and Im very glad to be rid of them
    I was gonna make a mean comment about g3 skins, and then I thought "nah, Benneke10 will do it for me"

good work kiddo

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

its not mean, I am genuinely trying to help you guys not make the same mistake I did

its not mean, I am genuinely trying to help you guys not make the same mistake I did
    What’s wrong with them? I have a pair and haven’t noticed any issues yet, I don’t tour often though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

glops like crazy in warm weather, glue starts sticking to your ski bases after 20-30 days, hard to pull apart/pull off the skis, heavy, bulky

glue starts sticking to your ski bases after 20-30 days
    Last time I used a pair of the G3 Backcountry.com skins, got to the top and when I removed my skins 100% of the glue was stuck on my ski bases. After spending several minutes trying to scrape some of it off, I gave up and left my bindings in walk-mode and just walked back down the mountain. Threw them in the trash as soon as I got back.

If you're looking for cheaper skins try Big Sky Mountain Products https://skiskinsonline.com/. I own multiple pair, nothing fancy and no mohair but I'm not a skimo dork so I don't care.

I will never use a North American skin. Quote me on it. Euro is the way. Treat yourself nice.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Last time I used a pair of the G3 Backcountry.com skins, got to the top and when I removed my skins 100% of the glue was stuck on my ski bases. After spending several minutes trying to scrape some of it off, I gave up and left my bindings in walk-mode and just walked back down the mountain. Threw them in the trash as soon as I got back.
    LOL
    G3 should use that as a testimonial.

[I hardly ever use skins/tour, and I think the only kind I've ever had were Ascension/BD - so I have no idea about G3. But that was very funny.]

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I will never use a North American skin. Quote me on it. Euro is the way. Treat yourself nice.
    I couldn't agree more! I'm a Pomoca guy, but a bunch of the other Euro brands are also really nice.

I have had the opposite experience with G3 - I've got 2 set of original Alpinist skins that are 10+ years old and are both on primary use touring set ups. Actually the glue has held up better than the old BD Ascension skins. The glue is still good, the plush is still good, and the 95mm waist set weighs the same as a set of BD MoMix skins (!?) but certainly grips better. The original G3 rotating tip hooks actually work really well on big rounded tips (i.e. Praxis GPO). So I'm not saying you guys haven't had bad experiences, but YMMV.

I've had plenty of pairs of skins since I have 5 touring setups in the quiver. Some have crapped out after just two seasons for glue getting gloopy or reduced glide/increased snow clumping. I've also had some just last and last, trimming them down for three different skis. Apparently there are some issues if you don't take care of them with skin savers and storing in a cool place. I can't vouch for their quality but I think I can say they are worth what you pay for them, as long as you don't pay full retail.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I’ve run many pairs of G3’s over 10+ years and had very few issues until the skins were so old that the issues made sense. Definitely not as good as my experience with BD and Pomoca but I can’t hate on them too much. When the glue does eventually go and stick to your skis at the top of a run it fucking sucks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

A prime example of ‘sometime things go on sale because they don’t sell well’.

Sometimes it’s unique gear that doesn’t sell well because only a small portion of the population appreciates it and sometimes it’s just a bad product.

I’ve had a few pairs of G3’s and never had the horror stories others have talked about but they’ve always been a big step behind. They were $50 on Sierra a few seasons ago and I had a friend buy them because they were strapped for cash and building a touring setup. $50 seemed about right.

I bought mine for $50 brand new from a KSL seller. Still felt a little too expensive.

I recently got rid of G3 skins that were maybe 8 years old but had only been used about 10 days max.

The glue was horrific. The plush was fine but the glue was shit.

Bought some pomocas this year. I hear G3 glue is improved but I don't feel like taking a risk.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I will follow up that I have had a pair of just the G3 alpinist skins and they lasted forever despite me mistreating them. My theory is that the BC.com branded skins use a shitty glue, thus why they are so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I will follow up that I have had a pair of just the G3 alpinist skins and they lasted forever despite me mistreating them. My theory is that the BC.com branded skins use a shitty glue, thus why they are so cheap.
    Mine were not BC branded and the glue was shit.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If you want an actually good skin at a similar price check these out https://www.backcountrygear.com/hybr...caAlXeEALw_wcB

and https://www.backcountrygear.com/clim...QaAjAcEALw_wcB

If you want an actually good skin at a similar price check these out https://www.backcountrygear.com/hybr...caAlXeEALw_wcB

and https://www.backcountrygear.com/clim...QaAjAcEALw_wcB
    Also good deals. Wish I had seen that when I was hunting for 135mm+ skins... oh well. Still expecting to get my money's worth for $40 less. Not sure about you all, but in my experience most skins have about 50-60 days of working life before they get fuzzy, lose grip, increase glop, get sticky etc. So G3s make sense to me if they're discounted.

What are Y’all’s thoughts on BCA skins? I like the new tip/tail hardwear; has anyone got any impressions of them?

Had the same experience with g3 skins. 2 seasons and a couple glue glop days was all I needed. Have enjoyed DB skins since then.

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    g3 =
    generally 2 better choices at the same price point
    and not made with canadian persnickityness
    like tilley
    eh
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I've used Ascension (preBD), BD, Pomoca, BCA (old), and G3. I found the G3 nylon skins to be high drag, just ok glue, and bulky. Plenty of good skins out there. Pomoca is my go to now, but I'm a 100% mohair guy more than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

BCA skins are made by contour aka they are good.

I have been having a bad time with the glue on my Pomocas, especially in the cold weather we've been having (just single digits). They are used skins, but the plush is in good condition and I got them from a mag. I can't figure out if it's typical of Pomoca or if they are a bit beat.