Tall Guy/long torso touring packs: Airbag or Airbag ready recommendation?

Any tall guys (6'4"+) have recommendations on backcountry packs which have fit them well? My current one-size fits all feels too short and looking for something longer. Finding consistent dimensions among brands to compare is tough.
    Last edited by Junior4575; 12-06-2021 at 10:08 AM.

I have a Jetforce Pro in M/L which works, but isn't quite as big as I would like. For reference, for a backpacking backpack I use the ULA equipment Circuit in size large which they say is a torso of 21" to 24".

This is a question I'm interested in answering as well. I'm 6'6"and I've been using a BCA float 32. I wouldn't say it fits well, tho it's not quite terrible.

I have an osprey mutant 38 that's fits pretty well in M/L, if only they made the soelden in different sizes

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

I've a number of very tall customers and they're all really happy with the fit of the Scott Patrol E1 40 avi packs they've had from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've a number of very tall customers and they're all really happy with the fit of the Scott Patrol E1 40 avi packs they've had from me.
    Are they tall or do they have long torsos because that is unfortunately different. I’ve got a long torso and pack shopping sucks. The lengths are always short (hip belt sits too high).

Good to know. I havent been able to try one one and have not gone out of my way as the size chart below is what i could find online. At 6'6 seemed like it would be a stretch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 7.41.43 AM.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	395703

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Are they tall or do they have long torsos because that is unfortunately different. I’ve got a long torso and pack shopping sucks. The lengths are always short (hip belt sits too high).
    Good point, definitely different. I am fairly proportionate but just tall and mammut bags are too short. Do any of the airbag packs have adjustable hip belts? I am not finding any but it makes sense if its a security issue due to the pack moving around if caught

Quote Originally Posted by Junior4575 View Post
    Good to know. I havent been able to try one one and have not gone out of my way as the size chart below is what i could find online. At 6'6 seemed like it would be a stretch

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 7.41.43 AM.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	395703
    That Scott chart is rubbish. Their Patrol 30 NL pack is fine for 5'4" and above, male of female. The reason I said the Patrol 40 pack for the OP is that it's 65cm long compared to the 60cm length of their 30L. Plus you'd need need the additional volume as some of the contents with be proportionally bigger, ie gloves, clothing etc.

I've never seen an avi pack of any brand that has a height adjustable hip belt.

That Scott chart is rubbish. Their Patrol 30 NL pack is fine for 5'4" and above, male of female. The reason I said the Patrol 40 pack for the OP is that it's 65cm long compared to the 60cm length of their 30L. Plus you'd need need the additional volume as some of the contents with be proportionally bigger, ie gloves, clothing etc.

Great to know. Thanks for the clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

MR Blackjack

Probably doesn't help as it is out of production, but the MR blackjack has (had?) adjustable hip belt height, option to pick shoulder size and hip belt size....maybe a find a used one? I still use mine. Not fan based however.

Tall Guy/long torso touring packs: Airbag or Airbag ready recommendation?

My Mammut airbag has adjustable hip belt. At 6’3 i think it fits me ok but I’m the type to not notice when things don’t fit well

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    My Mammut airbag has adjustable hip belt. At 6’3 i think it fits me ok but I’m the type to not notice when things don’t fit well

That’s interesting. My current model doesn’t have any adjustability and I am not seeing torso length adjustability in the specs for bags on their site. But a review on their site does mention the pro protection hip can be adjusted. If you zoom in on their pics you can see it too. Thanks for the tip

Name:  Image1638947881.357324.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:	Image1638947918.712546.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	395821

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm not a tall guy but really like how the E1 40 seems longer than most others. This pack carries weight really well and I think the length plays a key role.

I tried on an E1 40 and at 6'6" average-ish proportions it didn't fit me much better than my Float 32. It would have been better but the shoulder straps weren't long enough to get the waist belt down to my waist, which at least the Float can do.

However, a buddy randomly picked up an original (float 1.0) Float 42 and it probably fits me better than any pack I own, let alone avy packs. I wish I'd taken a picture next to my 32, the back panel on the old one is probably 6" taller. I traded him and am absolutely stoked to have a pack that actually fits me. Gained 8 or 10 ounces, but the carrying comfort more than makes up for it, and I also gained an appreciable amount of pack volume. When I'm gram counting I'm not carrying an airbag anyway generally.

If you're trying to find one, it's the pack pictured in this (not very useful) review: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ccess-float-42

I'd like to find a bag with modern tech (and a fan) that fits, but honestly I was so excited to have any pack that fits this well that I think I annoyed the shit out of my touring partners talking about it all day
    Last edited by WhetherMan; 01-19-2022 at 08:31 AM.