Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I thought that Philips was solid.
    Ah, I thought youíd mentioned a Philips tube amp, not the first time Iíve been confused. Nevertheless, $250 for ďthe devil you knowĒ doesnít seem bad.

I decided to go with the Technics for a while. Seems to be fully functional once I sortíve solved the speaker binding post problem by using the remote speaker hookups. 63w per channel. I may still fix up the Philips too. My stereo guy was high on both but really likes the Philips phono amp.

I still need to clean up the innards probably but it cleaned up pretty well on the outsideÖ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4778.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	402709

I'm looking to jump in to the vintage amp/tuner world and one question always comes to mind... how many watts per side is adequate for a home system? I've seen some great reviews for older Sansui and Marantz with 30-40 watts a side... and I can pick one up for under 500$... but then a similar vintage 70 watt per side people are asking 12-1500$ for the same brands...

I live in one of those sort tall and skinny townhouses so my listening area is 8-900 square feet and I have neighbors. Looking for quality over loudness... is 40 watts a side enough? TIA

I decided to go with the Technics for a while. Seems to be fully functional once I sort’ve solved the speaker binding post problem by using the remote speaker hookups. 63w per channel. I may still fix up the Philips too. My stereo guy was high on both but really likes the Philips phono amp.

I still need to clean up the innards probably but it cleaned up pretty well on the outside…

On an unrelated note, what kind of wood are the sides of that acoustic guitar made from? Looks wild, or is the sun hitting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I'm looking to jump in to the vintage amp/tuner world and one question always comes to mind... how many watts per side is adequate for a home system? I've seen some great reviews for older Sansui and Marantz with 30-40 watts a side... and I can pick one up for under 500$... but then a similar vintage 70 watt per side people are asking 12-1500$ for the same brands...

I live in one of those sort tall and skinny townhouses so my listening area is 8-900 square feet and I have neighbors. Looking for quality over loudness... is 40 watts a side enough? TIA
    Depends on a lot of variables, like acoustics, music type (dynamics), your listening preference (quiet/loud)...but I would say the most important thing is your speaker efficiency. Aka. "To compare, a speaker with an 85 dB efficiency rating takes twice the amplifier power to reach the same volume as a speaker with 88 dB efficiency. Similarly, a speaker with an 88 dB efficiency rating requires ten times more power than a speaker with a 98 dB efficiency rating to play at the same volume."

That 40w would be more than enough for "normal" listening conditions when paired with some sensitive speakers...but could end up being sub optimal if paired with some inefficient, hudge floor standing behemoths that are a pig to drive.

I have a Marantz 1030 with 15w/chan driving some quite efficient 2 way speakers (90 dB ŗ 1 W, 1 kHz) and it is more than enough for a small, urban flat.
    In the workspace I have bigger Canton GLE 100 (100w/150W) coupled with a crappy Onkyo 5.1 amp, yet the speakers manage to sound absolutely fantastic.
    So, it is all about pairing: What with What?
    Last edited by Meathelmet; 01-26-2022 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Typos..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    On an unrelated note, what kind of wood are the sides of that acoustic guitar made from? Looks wild, or is the sun hitting it?
    Itís rosewood. (Taylor 214ce). Itís a cool looking wood for sure but the light is also playing with it in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Depends a lot of variables, like acoustics, music type (dynamics), your listening preference (quiet/loud)...but I would say the most important thing is your speaker efficiency. Aka. "To compare, a speaker with an 85 dB efficiency rating takes twice the amplifier power to reach the same volume as a speaker with 88 dB efficiency. Similarly, a speaker with an 88 dB efficiency rating requires ten times more power than a speaker with a 98 dB efficiency rating to play at the same volume."

That 40w would be more than enough for "normal" listening conditions when paired with some sensitive speakers...but could end up being sub optimal if paired with some inefficient, hudge floor standing behemoths that are a pig to drive.

I have a Marantz 1030 with 15w/chan driving some quite efficient 2 way speakers (90 dB ŗ 1 W, 1 kHz) and it is more than enough for a small, urban flat.
    In the workspace I have bigger Canton GLE 100 (100w/150W) coupled with a crappy Onkyo 5.1 amp, yet the speakers manage to sound absolutely fantastic.
    So, it is all about pairing: What with What?
    Also, around the late 70s the FCC (I think it was the FCC) put in consumer protections about wattage ratings. So some of the early stuff with huge listed numbers were actually much smaller than listed. (Companies had been using stuff like Peak power and then multiplying it by 2 for two channels, etc). Then when the regs came along the way you measured wattage got very conservative by rule. So that 63w amp above I showed can blow the windows out of your house.

If itís a true 40w from that era it could be really loud. If itís earlier then 40w could be nothing, and a modern 40w is kind of on the small side maybe. But the 1030 meat is talking about was a real 15 (Marantz never did the gross up rating crap to my knowledge) and it can fill a room. If the 40w is from the late 70s early 80s era it could be quite loud. That late 70s Philips I mention up thread is 40w and the stereo service guy I use compared it to a modern 80 or 100w system. As a 40w itíll fill any room in my house.

So not so black and whiteÖ

I decided to go with the Technics for a while. Seems to be fully functional once I sort’ve solved the speaker binding post problem by using the remote speaker hookups. 63w per channel. I may still fix up the Philips too. My stereo guy was high on both but really likes the Philips phono amp.

I still need to clean up the innards probably but it cleaned up pretty well on the outside…

Is that an Ernie Ball with a Floyd Rose?

Thanks guys, gives me more to think about. I donít need a lot of volume, but Iíll research pairing with the right speakers for the 30-40 watt range and see what happens. Will post set up pics once itís all in place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Audiophiles, help me build a decent stereo

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Is that an Ernie Ball with a Floyd Rose?
    Nope. Thatíd be cool though. Itís a 1985 Japanese Stratocaster with a custom wood pickguard I put on it early in the pandemic. I am not a great guitar tech. It was a bit of a project.

Didn't know where to put this, so I put it here.

I have a pair of V2 Paradigm Titans, judging by the noise one of them is making I'm assuming the surround has gone. Are these worth repairing myself? I've never done it, but how hard can it be? amiright?

Or do I just ditch them and find a used pair of something equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, so I put it here.

I have a pair of V2 Paradigm Titans, judging by the noise one of them is making I'm assuming the surround has gone. Are these worth repairing myself? I've never done it, but how hard can it be? amiright?

Or do I just ditch them and find a used pair of something equivalent?
    I had a Paradigm (floorstander in the same range as atom, titan, etc. donít know which is which anymore) that tipped over and damaged the tweeter. Was able to contact the company directly and buy a replacement. That was ~10 years ago, so not sure if policy has changed, and not sure how far back inventory is kept.

If you can buy a replacement driver, should be simple to install.

^^^The internet seems filled with repair tips for those speakers...