Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    One simple solution would be a BT transmitter at the TV ($45) to two decent powered bookshelf speakers (< $150). Tons of options for the latter.
    Yup. I use Audio Engine powered speakers. Me likely mucho better than the soundbars I've tried.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Audiophiles, help me build a decent stereo

Those cheap sound bars don’t really sound better than the tv speakers

No hdmi but an optical converter is cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Soun...-127632-2357-0

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Those cheap sound bars don’t really sound better than the tv speakers

No hdmi but an optical converter is cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Soun...-127632-2357-0
    What is this "optical converter" you speak of? Optical -> HDMI?

I have an older Pinnacle soundbar with a subwoofer that I use for 99% of the time the tv is on, Does it sound as good as the Yamaha 9.1 system sitting next to it, no but do I need 9 speakers and a subwoofer to watch The Weather Channel, probably not. I think a decent soundbar would be acceptable for most people, I was surprised how good a bunch of 2" speakers could sound. The Yamaha mostly gets used by my gf to listen to music since it's easier to use than the Sansui.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    fair point
    buy this: (listed for $85, maybe get for $75)
    https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/...413716399.html
    and this: (listed for $50 but in Ward so don't lowball or you'll get shot)
    https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d...421079153.html (assuming it has a sub out, which I think it does. Jjust make sure when you pick it up)

I know it's more than your budget but the sound upgrade will be massive. If you don't want the rear speakers yet, fine, just store them. Total cost $125, no shipping, no tax.

I went for the one that was $42 after discount, it's Prime so if I don't like it I'll return it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I just wish the entertainment industry would mix things better so that voices can be heard over the music. I shouldn't have to watch a movie with the sound on 11.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I just wish the entertainment industry would mix things better so that voices can be heard over the music. I shouldn't have to watch a movie with the sound on 11.
    I have to watch everything with closed captioning on now, or I'll ask my wife what was said every few minutes.

Reminds me of the horrendous musical guest mix on Saturday Night Live. It's unbelievably bad. But in the opposite way.

They should have to mix the audio at 3 am with a newborn sleeping next to them on the couch! At least everything would be at the same level.

I thought it was just my old bad hearing, and/or my setup.
    There is always a noticeable hole in the sound spectrum where the dialogue is.
    Fx and music loud and clear, but voices are a whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Damn, those are beautiful. I would go listen to them and see how you like them. They will need new crossovers, as the caps have certainly gone bad, but they likely don't need much else.

You can get super high quality crossovers from Bob Crites for a reasonable amount:

https://critesspeakers.com/

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I’m late on this, but a month ago I picked up some Cornwall Is that are about 50 years old and they sound incredible. When I opened up the backs I saw that the caps were leaking so I picked up the Crites kit for recapping (they sell them slightly cheaper on eBay fyi). I’ve got some other projects to finish first but if they sound even better after recapping I’ll be really stoked.

I also picked up an integrated tube amp that’s even older than the speakers, but that needs more work to get going.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I thought it was just my old bad hearing, and/or my setup.
    There is always a noticeable hole in the sound spectrum where the dialogue is.
    Fx and music loud and clear, but voices are a whisper.
    It's not just movies. Growing up, I couldn't believe they'd let Pat Benetar sing "hit me with erection" and play it in the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    What is this "optical converter" you speak of? Optical -> HDMI?
    HDMI>Optical. A lot of older tv's have optical out as does mine but mine doesn't convert the signal from Firestick~ so I put this in line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I think the advice here has been excellent. To add to it / tweak it, I'd say when spending the money on your amp and speakers, you don't have to go for big names. I one room I have that 80s Phillips tube amp mentioned below hooked to a pair of energy 2.1e speakers. Lots of audiophiles don't even know what those two things are. But the Phillips amp sounds fantastic for a 40w integrated amp. It was part of the Phillips Lab project and was only around for 3-4 years, but it's very nice stuff. Similarly, the original Canadian Energy brand made speakers in the 90s that I loved at a great pricepoint, and since they kinda went out of business / got bought by Klipsch no one really pays them any attention. So you could buy these two pieces for probably $500-600 and it would be as good as most $1,500 new amp/pre/speaker gear (if you like the sound, which I do - warm and resonant.)

So point is, the used advice is good, but listening for yourself and doing some research - and not just limiting yourself to the stuff everyone lusts after - can have a big impact.

But mostly, find some really kick ass speakers, as everyone here has said.
    Well, fuck. In a nice bit of irony, the Philips integrated amp mentioned above just shit the bed. It's a smaller unit - Philips 3841 which was part of the labs project they had around 1980 as mentioned above (it's the black version of the 384). It's a little less than perfect aesthetically - missing two or three knobs - but I liked the way it sounded. A channel went out. Took it to my local guy who repairs this stuff out of his basement (and has been for almost 50 years.) He's gonna look at it on Monday but the odds are it'll cost around $125-200 to fix. I have to tell him before then if I wanna bail.

Not sure I want to spend almost $200 to fix the thing. Maybe I should just replace it with something else.

What say the collective? Fix the thing or try to find an integrated amp or receiver to replace it for $250ish or less?

It's this one in black:
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ps/ah384.shtml

Figured I'd glom on to this thread with my own inquiry.

Anybody have any experience with the Sonos Amp? It's pretty pricey for what you get, from the looks of it, but we have a bunch of other Sonos speakers (mostly gifts) around the house and it would be nice to make use of my old Phase Tech sub and bookshelf speakers, since they're just sitting around at this point...

Well, fuck. In a nice bit of irony, the Philips integrated amp mentioned above just shit the bed. It's a smaller unit - Philips 3841 which was part of the labs project they had around 1980 as mentioned above (it's the black version of the 384). It's a little less than perfect aesthetically - missing two or three knobs - but I liked the way it sounded. A channel went out. Took it to my local guy who repairs this stuff out of his basement (and has been for almost 50 years.) He's gonna look at it on Monday but the odds are it'll cost around $125-200 to fix. I have to tell him before then if I wanna bail.

Not sure I want to spend almost $200 to fix the thing. Maybe I should just replace it with something else.

What say the collective? Fix the thing or try to find an integrated amp or receiver to replace it for $250ish or less?

It's this one in black:
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ps/ah384.shtml
    Ohh! Dude! Fix it. Excellent amp, and if the guy is competent, after the fix, it will be as good than it ever was.
    If it was caps that gave up the ghost, the fix is cheap and you will have supported a dying breed making their living.
    The "new" stuff that you would buy, for similar price, would (probably) be inferior for a 2 way stereo setup.

In the last weeks I have bought a Marantz 1030 amp (a rare one with pre amp), a Lenco L75 and a pair of Canton GLE 100 speakers for less than...300$.

The Marantz sounds (way) better compared to my old Onkoyo 7.1 amp.
    Lenco is a project, in it's original condition, working, but will have to study how to clean & set up properly (AT95E?), but 90$...damn.

And the Cantons.... Best speakers, bang-for-buck, I have probably ever owned...considering that they cost less than 100$...and are from 1981.

Disclaimer: Not my speakers in the image.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Ohh! Dude! Fix it. Excellent amp, and if the guy is competent, after the fix, it will be as good than it ever was.
    If it was caps that gave up the ghost, the fix is cheap and you will have supported a dying breed making their living.
    The "new" stuff that you would buy, for similar price, would (probably) be inferior for a 2 way stereo setup.

In the last weeks I have bought a Marantz 1030 amp (a rare one with pre amp), a Lenco L75 and a pair of Canton GLE 100 speakers for less than...300$.

The Marantz sounds (way) better compared to my old Onkoyo 7.1 amp.
    Lenco is a project, in it's original condition, working, but will have to study how to clean & set up properly (AT95E?), but 90$...damn.

And the Cantons.... Best speakers, bang-for-buck, I have probably ever owned...considering that they cost less than 100$...and are from 1981.

Disclaimer: Not my speakers in the image.
    First, where the hell are you finding that stuff for $300? Good lord. I'm super jealous of those speakers.

Second, I think I've decided to just roll the dice on price and fix the Philips. After shopping around I'd either have to get lucky on an older piece I find (and those might develop problems soon anyway), get a 90s NAD integrated amp for $250 (and again, it's older so who knows), or pony up and get something like an Outlaw Audio 2250 used for $350.

I think I'm gonna just repair the Philips and try to find a 4 pack of knobs that fit so that it looks a bit more put together. Some people are selling generic knobs on etsy if I can make them fit...

First, where the hell are you finding that stuff for $300? Good lord. I'm super jealous of those speakers.
    Speakers were 90€... Patience, hasthtags for the bots and a quick call.

Edit: The speakers, currently do not look like that...at all. But, paint removal, a lot of sand paper and TLC will do it.
    Yet, all the elements are mint as they are rubber suspended and the speakers sound fucking money.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I have a set of Canton Karat 35 i think they are, very nice speakers, lovely craftsmanship in the woodworking and metal grilles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Speakers were 90€... Patience, hasthtags for the bots and a quick call.

Edit: The speakers, currently do not look like that...at all. But, paint removal, a lot of sand paper and TLC will do it.
    Yet, all the elements are mint as they are rubber suspended and the speakers sound fucking money.
    Just before we headed out for an MLK ski trip I remembered I had another receiver buried in the basement. Dug it up. Technics SA-505, 63w per channel. Hooked it up. Sounds amazing. But I mothballed it because it was having channel cut out. I might have that one fixed instead of the Philips.

Or maybe both.

Damnit you guys, I was doing well. I hadn’t obsessed about audio equipment in years and years.

I blame mags.

I scored a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones today on Marketplace local for $20.00 Dude said he put them in storage because one tweeter wasn't firing. Needed to clean out the storage... I was thinking for $20 maybe just live with one tweeter dead or replace that part... But... They're working fine right now..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Just before we headed out for an MLK ski trip I remembered I had another receiver buried in the basement. Dug it up. Technics SA-505, 63w per channel. Hooked it up. Sounds amazing. But I mothballed it because it was having channel cut out. I might have that one fixed instead of the Philips.

Or maybe both.

Damnit you guys, I was doing well. I hadn’t obsessed about audio equipment in years and years.

I blame mags.
    I’d fix the Philips, but I have a soft spot for tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    I’d fix the Philips, but I have a soft spot for tubes.
    I thought that Philips was solid.

I bought a cheap amp on Amazon for the Bluetooth connection and it crapped already. Luckily enough it's still in the return period. My buddy gave me an early 2000s Marantz which seems to work well with my old speakers in stereo.

He had a center and four bookshelf B&Ws from the same era he said I could have. Research shows these are pretty sweet. Receiver has 6.1. I should probably go grab these speakers and try it right?