Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Does a reasonably priced stand alone music streaming device exist?

I want to play spotify on my home stereo. Currently I'm doing it through an old, retired smart phone, but that phone is starting to crap out. So basically I want that same functionality: I want to play spotify through my stereo, and I don't want to have to use my smart phone to control it (so something like the Amazon echo link that doesn't have a screen or any interface won't work). I don't want to cast the music from my phone / laptop to the stereo, I want a device that'll play the music on its own. I'm not overly concerned with audiophile level quality.

This seems like a pretty straightforward task, but everything I'm seeing that does it is like $3,000, which is a bit much considering I'm currently doing it with a 10 year old smartphone.
    Why not just get a really cheap tablet, like a Lenovo Smart tab for $150? Perfect little spotify streamer with a nice screen for controlling things, access to the app, and a headphone out jack. Seems like a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Why not just get a really cheap tablet, like a Lenovo Smart tab for $150? Perfect little spotify streamer with a nice screen for controlling things, access to the app, and a headphone out jack. Seems like a no brainer.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards, or just buying another smart phone. My biggest hesitation is just that it's not very clean - cords all over the place. I was kinda hoping for a nice tidy little box with cords out the back. Not to mention a dedicated box would presumably have a bit better sound quality.

But yeah, I might just get a tablet of some sort and build a little wood case for it to make it cleaner.

There’s the bluesound node, though at $500 new it still might be more than you want to spend. No screen either so you mostly need to control it from a phone or tablet, but the app for controlling it works great. Pretty solid DAC inside and also has the option of transporting to an external DAC if you decide you want to upgrade that down the line.

I got one used a year or so ago and have been really happy with it.

Toast, when I was looking for something similar a couple years ago I ended up buying a Marantz NR1200 network receiver to try. So far it's been very good for streaming from Spotify, though it doesn't check the box of being truly stand-alone.

But from any other device signed into my Spotify account, I can see and select the receiver to be the audio source. So when working at my desktop I'll be streaming tunes, then stand up to make lunch or whatever and switch sources and it'll come on the house system seamlessly. I also control it from a small chromebook or my phone once in a while. The device only has to start the stream, then it can shut down or close the app and the receiver will keep streaming.

Pretty good specs for the cash, not hi-fi but great as a non-dentist home receiver. And it has an FM antenna which I use all the time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I just picked up a Surfans F20. Works as a DAC and as a great little portable media player with excellent sound.

It allows me to carry true lossless audio files, dedicated line out, and has a click wheel, which is by far the best interface for this type of stuff.

No streaming though.
    FYI: Amazon has the Surfan F20 on black Friday sale for $98

Ended up getting a small tablet on Amazon because with the black Friday deals it was basically free. I'm about due for some new speakers for the system, so maybe when I spend too much money on those, I'll be more inclined to also spend too much money on some sort of higher quality digital audio contraption. So I've at least kicked the can down the road a bit.

I find it amazing that Google stopped making the Chromecast Audio, and there are zero replacements on the market - literally perfect for this application…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just saw the AMZN echo link and echo link amp… interesting

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA