On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Rossi FKS missing black plastic around turntable

So just got some skis in the mail and trying to adjust for my boot. Mounted for 297 and I am 306. I noticed the right ski barely needed adjustment. The left ski I am slowly backing out the stems and getting close but way too much forward pressure still. Not sure how far I can back these out. I am seeing the hash marks and already past them on the left ski.

Does that black plastic at the back of the turntable matter much? It pushes against the white forward pressure indicator. Not sure what else the purpose is. Without it I gain more adjustability anyway.

Ok so I am realizing the forward pressure indicator will not be totally inaccurate on the right ski because of the missing plastic piece on the turntable. I am almost to the 3rd set of hash marks on the left heelpiece stems. They "feel" correct, but the forward pressure indicator is 1-1.5 mm past the two raised tabs.

Hmmmm

as always pivot/fks forward pressure is more by feel than by the indicator. I have multiple sets of pivots mounted for the same boot at same bsl/distance between toe and heel and one set the indicators are spot on and the others are off. even with the fwd pressure arms at virtually identical amount of hash marks.

basically need to make sure the amount of contact the binding heel is flush/flat and even across the boot heel with din set of course. you can go as far as clicking into the bindings with the skis on carpet and flex/try to walk out of the heels to ensure proper adjustment

as far as the plastic piece that presses on the indicator, yes that is its only purpose. you should verify the plastic heel base that holds the brakes in place is intact as this plastic is by far the most common fail point on pivots

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    as always pivot/fks forward pressure is more by feel than by the indicator. I have multiple sets of pivots mounted for the same boot at same bsl/distance between toe and heel and one set the indicators are spot on and the others are off. even with the fwd pressure arms at virtually identical amount of hash marks.

basically need to make sure the amount of contact the binding heel is flush/flat and even across the boot heel with din set of course. you can go as far as clicking into the bindings with the skis on carpet and flex/try to walk out of the heels to ensure proper adjustment

as far as the plastic piece that presses on the indicator, yes that is its only purpose. you should verify the plastic heel base that holds the brakes in place is intact as this plastic is by far the most common fail point on pivots
    Ok cool thanks. Everything else seems structurally intact.

Is there a limit on how far the stems can be backed out? Will they hit and end point and stop spinning or could I have like half a thread holding them together and they will explode on me when skiing? I'm into the 3rd set of hash marks now on the stems of both heel pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Is there a limit on how far the stems can be backed out? Will they hit and end point and stop spinning or could I have like half a thread holding them together and they will explode on me when skiing? I'm into the 3rd set of hash marks now on the stems of both heel pieces.
    don't go past the 3rd hash mark line if you see threads you are likely to bend the arms or have them screw themselves off while you use them
    me? i would ski the turn table with the plastic horseshoe missing as it supports the heel of the boot and if it's missing more pressure will be applied to the metal screw holder will more than likely break which is more common than the plastic breaking
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

3rd set of hash marks are the limit AFAIK. If you go much further you'll start to see threads. There are no stops, you can back them out all the way and take them off (that's how you change base plates).

iirc you should not extend past the third hash. within the hash is acceptable but not further. ideally you'd like to be in the second hash and based on the stated mount point and your bsl you may need a remount

half a thread on the arm? yeah, that's not gonna be good for anyone. FYI there is no stop on the adjustment, the arm on the dildo will just thread out of the heel arm

Ok so I have the stems now where I can just see the start of the 3rd hash mark. Stepping in on carpet with my boots on feels normal. I can lift the heel a bit when I lean forward in the boots like I am going to nose butter. Is this play normal? I haven't been on turntables in so long and I don't remember that heel lift when clicked into the bindings.

I see in the other pivot thread someone say heel lift brake movement means forward pressure is actually too low.

I've always gone by feel and visual with forward pressure. my feel is installing the boots on a bench I need to move the heel by hand when pressing the boot heel down. definitely takes some effort

there used to be a good video, youtube? where a guy explained in detail the process

All this nuance nonsense is why Solly Heel Clunk FTW.

I tightened the stems on both heel pieces. Right at the second hash mark now. Step in feels good and very little heel left. I think that's close enough?

I run Tyrolia on all my other alpine skis and like them, but these came with the pivots and I know lots of "real" skiers only use Pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    All this nuance nonsense is why Solly Heel Clunk FTW.
    How's your toe height?

P18 Pivot FKS forward pressure - ignore the indicator?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=308131

You can waste the rest of your afternoon reading this thread

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    P18 Pivot FKS forward pressure - ignore the indicator?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=308131

You can waste the rest of your afternoon reading this thread
    Yeah, that's the "other pivot thread" I was referencing. Hell of a rabbit hole there.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    How's your toe height?
    Adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Adjustable.
    yeah, but not on purpose kind of like the toe wings
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca