Scott Patrol e1 22 opinions?

I was able to get a great deal on an Alpride SuperCap 40L pack last season. Based on the promise of the super capacitor airbag system, I felt like it was a solid investment. However, I'm not thrilled with how the pack carries at less than a full load, which is the majority of my single-lap mid-winter tours. I feel like it could use a more robust compression system; basically feels like the avy tool compartment is a separate entity without the main compartment full of gear and it flops around independently.

I spend a ton of time in the high country in the summer on my enduro bike. Factor in the cushcore setup, and EDC in the steerer tube, etc,; I've downsized to a minimal fanny pack that carries food, a water filter, and an emotional support jacket for most days. It's liberating to carry such a minimal loadout.

So, long story short, I've invested in an airbag system, and have a pack that I like for days where I need to haul a lot of stuff. But I'd like to downsize for every day, dawn patrol, single-lap tours. Looking around, it seems like Scott is the only brand offering the E1 system pack as a stand-alone, without the system. Does anyone have experience with the 22L of the Patrol E1 pack? Can it carry a minimal, enduro MTB style loadout (compressed puffy, soft flask, extra gloves, googles and skins/Lupo tongues depending of the direction of travel), or am I better off looking at the 30L version for the average day tour?

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ott+%2B+patrol

The 30 L has just enough room for a typical winter day tour for someone who uses compressible gear and minimal volume first aid kit etc. ^^. The thread above might mention the actual volume, don’t recall.

I have the 30L and 40L bag. The setup of the pack is pretty different re:avy tools in the 30L and puts them closer in. 30L gets pretty full up with googles, skins, jacket, gloves, water, and first aid/repair kit (although to be fair mine is pretty significant -- basically a full crampon bag).

If you're really focused on minimal, maybe 22 is the right choice. But if you want a bit of flexibility for day tours the 30L is where it's at.

While the system is swappable it's not something I really want to a dozen times a winter between light days and full days. 30L covers both while the 40L is for times I really need extra space (big big days, hut trips, crampons/glacial gear, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I have the 30L and 40L bag. The setup of the pack is pretty different re:avy tools in the 30L and puts them closer in. 30L gets pretty full up with googles, skins, jacket, gloves, water, and first aid/repair kit (although to be fair mine is pretty significant -- basically a full crampon bag).

If you're really focused on minimal, maybe 22 is the right choice. But if you want a bit of flexibility for day tours the 30L is where it's at.

While the system is swappable it's not something I really want to a dozen times a winter between light days and full days. 30L covers both while the 40L is for times I really need extra space (big big days, hut trips, crampons/glacial gear, etc).
    Agreed the 30L is just right for day tours (and on the tight side). 22L more for cat / heli trips where you don’t need to bring lunch/water etc.

Question doebedoe: is the 40L sufficient for hut trips? Can you fit a down sleeping bag in there, along with down booties and some dehydrated food? Trying to contemplate whether I should buy a 40L bag only for some hut trips this year, or if it’s going to be too small anyway and I should just take my Osprey 50L backpacking bag.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like the 30L is a more practical size for everyday use, and would allow me to only wrestle with moving the system over for hut trips or overnights. Glad I asked, as I was leaning toward the 22L!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan5 View Post
    Agreed the 30L is just right for day tours (and on the tight side). 22L more for cat / heli trips where you don’t need to bring lunch/water etc.

Question doebedoe: is the 40L sufficient for hut trips? Can you fit a down sleeping bag in there, along with down booties and some dehydrated food? Trying to contemplate whether I should buy a 40L bag only for some hut trips this year, or if it’s going to be too small anyway and I should just take my Osprey 50L backpacking bag.
    The 40L would be tough for unsupported hut trips IMO. Could you make it work by lashing some stuff to the outside on the way up? Potentially.

I was thinking more something like Euro huts or a heli-in to a hut for a week type experience -- where you either need to carry a light sleeping sack/small change of clothes/extras.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The 40L would be tough for unsupported hut trips IMO. Could you make it work by lashing some stuff to the outside on the way up? Potentially.

I was thinking more something like Euro huts or a heli-in to a hut for a week type experience -- where you either need to carry a light sleeping sack/small change of clothes/extras.

Got it, that’s helpful. I’ll probably go with my osprey then. Or try to jerry-rig a bag-on-bag system lol

I'm tagging a different e1 question onto this thread, for any e1 users... So I've got an Patrol e1 40, got it 2 years ago. If I put the two AA batteries in it, and then charge it, it keeps a charge for enough time - certainly a full day out. But if I charge it without batteries, then just turn it off, then say 1-2 days later go to turn it on, it's out of charge (starts green, within a minute blinks yellow, within another 30 seconds blinks red). So with batteries in, it works. And I carry an extra pair of batteries just in case. But it doesn't make sense why it behaves this way, and I'm thinking something is wrong with the internal battery.
    Thoughts? Is this how it works for others? Thx

Tang - that's definitely not how my BD e1 bag works. It sounds like something is not right with the capacitor itself - it's recharging from batteries if you have them in. It should last a LOT longer than a full day out, and that should be independent of whether you have batteries in. For reference that BD bag will last multiple (probably like 10+) full day tours without aa's in it. The batteries are not supposed to be for trickle recharging but for a single recharge after deployment - i.e. they should not change how long the capacitor stays charged (atleast not that much). For reference I'm only recharging via cigarette lighter on the short drive to the mountain, too...

I'd try to update the firmware first. Then I'd contact the manufacturer. That is NOT cool.

^^^ Thx much. Of course I tried charging and just leaving it on, and it’s holding its charge >24 hours and going - vs turning off and then having it restart basically dead a day layer. Weird. Either way gonna have it checked out. Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    ^^^ Thx much. Of course I tried charging and just leaving it on, and it’s holding its charge >24 hours and going - vs turning off and then having it restart basically dead a day layer. Weird. Either way gonna have it checked out. Thx!
    Ugh I think mine is dead. On power up it the fan buzzes a few times then the solid red light comes on.

Quick video of it screwing up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Hs6y9dNNmrU?feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
    Ugh I think mine is dead. On power up it the fan buzzes a few times then the solid red light comes on.

Quick video of it screwing up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Hs6y9dNNmrU?feature=share
    Ok - it is officially done. I tried the firmware update which didn't do anything. Figured maybe it needed to have the activating lever pulled - tried that a few times and nothing. Nothing happens when I use the on/off switch. Hooked it up to USB power and a small puff of smoke came out.

Unbelievable. I have had this since late 2020 and have deployed it three times to test it and maybe I've taken it out on 15 tours. I'm reaching out to Scott and Alpride to see what my options are but I think I paid over $800 for a non-functional untrustworthy piece of safety equipment encased in a lame pack.