Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

is my bootfitter wack?

i have size 11 feet and sometimes wear size 11.5 shoes, no special feet issues

bought scott voodoo ntn tech boots at a ski swap, size 29

boots have minimal use, liners show almost zero use and never baked

boots fit ok, just a little tight around the outside of each foot and across the top of the foot

secured recommendations for fitter made an appointment and went in

bootfitter had me stand in boots with socks on but no liners

he said that the shells are too big for me and although the fit felt tight, he would not bake (properly, he recommended against baking, but if left to him he would not do the bake at all) because my foot would be too loose in the boot and swim around and i would overcompensate by over tightening, which would create a thoroughly uncomfortable fit

i am thoroughly confused

1. did i misunderstand him?
    2. is this correct?
    3. or does he not know what he is talking about?

With the caveat that every foot is different I wear a 10.5 or 11 shoe and ski comfortably in Scarpa 26.5/27.0 shells with molded Intuitions. I'd say your bootfitter is likely correct.

What's your shell fit? How much room behind your heel with foot in shell with no liner (toes touching the front)?

He may not be crazy. I wear size 11 or 11.5 shoes, but I'm in 27.5 ski boots comfortably and can cram my foot in to a 26.5. You should check out the verifyt app, scan your feet, and post a screenshot of your scan so the TRG boot experts can weigh in.

If your boots really are too big, you're going to have issues with your feet sliding back and forth in them when touring. They might even feel too small, because when your heel is in the heel pocket, the widest part of your foot will be in the narrower part of the boot. Good way to get bunions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What's your shell fit? How much room behind your heel with foot in shell with no liner (toes touching the front)?
    roughly a half inch

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    roughly a half inch
    I'm no bootfitter, but that sounds like the shell is on the big side of ok for you. Which would mean bootfitter is correct that you could drop a size if you wanted more performance (possibly at the expense of comfort).

My feet are bigger than yours(12.5/13)
    My ski boots are smaller than yours(28.5). If that tells you anything

My feet measure out at just over a size 11 on a Brannock Device and ski 26.5 shells. Hardly ever unbuckle them on the lift unless it’s extremely cold (below 0F).

ETA: I'm in Lange RX130 LV shells, with a couple punches for some extra width at the ball of my foot, thanks to the craftsmanship of gregL.

I do wear 27/27.5 boots for touring, but the 26.5 Lange works great for my feet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B7961BE-078A-4740-A7FB-6C7CD50226F0.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	570.6 KB 
ID:	394927

There’s no singular “correct” fit, it’s a matter of personal preference within a range.
    Last edited by glademaster; 12-02-2021 at 10:39 AM.

For a rough starting point take the digits of the mondo, in your case 29, and add them together 2+9 =11. Generally, you want one size down from your shoe size so yes, just based on you saying you wear an 11.5 size street shoe and are trying a 29 shell I'd say it would almost certainly be too big and should try a 28.5. (of course once you get to 30.5 this no longer works)

But then you say you have a half inch shell fit. And I'll humbly but emphatically disagree with toast that ~12.5mm is pretty fricking ideal. I cannot believe you have only that amount in a 29.5 based on size 11 sneakers.

Street shoe size as a reference to ski boot sizing is always more miss than hit. Measure the length of your foot in mm. That length should line up pretty well with the mondo size you need. ie if your foot measures ~290mm a 29.5 will be a good starting point but will likely still be a mondo size too big length wise. If you measured high 290's then probably pretty good in a 29.5 for length. Some boots, like Full Tilt, are ~5mm shorter for stated mondo relative to others.

For reference I take a 10.5 in all runners; I measure 273mm. I take a 26.5 in almost all boots for length. And that puts me in about a 12mm shellfit for length. Point here is that if I went by the "size" on the side of the boot box for my shoe size I'd be in a 28.5 or 10.5 and that is a full 2 mondos too big and I am not in a race fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Shoe size is way too subjective, I wear a 9.5 in Redwings, 10.5 in Altra, and a 11 3/4 in my Scarpa boots. Measure your foot in CM and start there (with a ruler or the VerifyT app).

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    But then you say you have a half inch shell fit. And I'll humbly but emphatically disagree with toast that ~12.5mm is pretty fricking ideal. I cannot believe you have only that amount in a 29.5 based on size 11 sneakers.
    Ha! Agreed. I was taking "roughly half an inch" to mean "probably more like 3/4 of an inch," for the reasons you stated in your last sentence.

But yeah, if shell fit is actually ~12mm, that's spot on.

I am size 11, sometimes 11.5 with shoes. My boot size has been 27.5 the last few times ive been fitted. Currently in a Dalbello Lupo AX120 with Powerwraps that take up even more volume.

No fucking way a competent bootfitter gives their stamp of approval to your 29 boots if you wear size 11 street shoes. Unless you like a performance racing fit in your street shoes, and street shoe fit in your ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    My feet are bigger than yours(12.5/13)
    My ski boots are smaller than yours(28.5). If that tells you anything
    Holy shit!

No way I could drop that many shells. But I have a stupid high instep.

OP made the classic mistake of not finding the boot fitter before the purchase.

Then again, many bootfitters are hacks and thieves.
    I’ve seen my guy tell people the boot they need isn’t in stock, and he should go across town to a competitor.

Skilled fitters look at your feet and know what you need.

PS. 1/2” isn’t a wrong shell fit. Unless you’re racing.

PPS. Size 11 feet are usually in 28 shells.
    . . .

size 11 or 11.5 shoes (depends on shoes)

skiing a 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    size 11 or 11.5 shoes (depends on shoes)

skiing a 27.5.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Shoe size is way too subjective, I wear a 9.5 in Redwings, 10.5 in Altra, and a 11 3/4 in my Scarpa boots. Measure your foot in CM and start there (with a ruler or the VerifyT app).
    This so much. People with a single street-shoe size apparently don't have robust collections of shoes like they do skis.

9.5 in Redwings, 9.5 in Oak Streets, 10 in most Allen Edmonds, 10.5s-11 in most "street" tennis shoes, 11.5 in almost every running shoe I've ever been in.

I'm mostly in 27s, but there are some shells (F1 LT, TLT5) that I have to be in a 28 if I want to be able to get a foot in with a liner.

Another 11-11.5, 44-45 street shoe, skiing 26.5-27 (though I tried a 26.5 Fischer Traverse TS yesterday and it felt like a 25!)

I wear size 10.5 street shoes on average, my feet measure about 275mm iirc. If its a boot my foot matches with well I can easily wear 26.5 (or 26.5/27.0 Scarpa) ski boots basically out of the box or with a simple liner bake all day long. When I was into having a race fit for hard snow I skied 25.5 which just required a few punches to get more length.

I would think the op's boots are too big, but everyones different I suppose.

Not to thread jack but I am sorta interested in that Scott NTN pin boot. It has about 40 degrees ROM I think? More than TX Pros and T2's even. Don't hear too much about that boot. I sorta remember people not liking the flex on Scotts tele boots.
    Last edited by Chair 6; 12-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.

OP needs to dig into Scott Voodoo fit issues - pretty sure they've been problematic for some.
    All feet and boots are different. I'm a solid 11.5 US but consider my Scarpa NTN 29.0s to be perfectly sized for me. Used exclusively for hard snow carving; best fit of my entire skiing life.

Aggressive in my own mind

don't forget scarpa break on the half size while all the tother brands breaks on the full size

Might be a good idea for OP to ask the boot fitter what boot he recommends for OP's foot ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

roughly a half inch
    Who measured that half inch? The bootfitter or DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Who measured that half inch? The bootfitter or DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The bootfitter had something like a spacer on a stick he put down the boot. He pulled it out and showed me and said the space that was there should be half as much -- I'm estimating it was about a half inch.

The bootfitter had something like a spacer on a stick he put down the boot. He pulled it out and showed me and said the space that was there should be half as much -- I'm estimating it was about a half inch.
    so move the boots for what you paid, and get into a proper fitting shell. you'll be so much better off. I was in too large a boot for years and just managed, cranking down buckles, compromising and trying to counter the sloppy boot. since taking the time to get into these shells my skiing has never been better.

I'm generally a 12 in street shoes (sometimes 11.5) and I'm in 28.5 Dalbello shells.

I'd take your bootfitter's word. If you *really* suspect he's wrong, check out another bootfitter. I suspect he'll also tell you they're a bit too big.