Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Skinny foot in a size 9 shoe, comfortable performance fit in a 24.5 boot, roomier touring fit in a 25.5.

It’s a bit bizarre, but you need to think about ski boots as being separate from your shoe size. It’s cliche, but getting in to the smaller sizes makes a HUGE difference in how your ski boots perform over their lifetime. I can’t stress this enough to friends who try to go it
    Alone for ski boots

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    This is one of the weirder dick measuring contests I’ve seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude, this wouldn't be Tech Talk, let alone TGR, without these absurdities
    See: every Praxis/ON3P thread, every pack thread, every hardshell thread, etc etc

A blessing and a curse.
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 12-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.

It's about girth, ask your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Ahh, so that’s what ‘senior researcher’ is referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Ahh, so that’s what ‘senior researcher’ is referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    He’s a boot fitter, of course he’s wack!

But if you’ve used him before, with good results and you trust his judgement, then go for it.

Worst case, you wear the boots and they pack out really fast and your swimming.
    Maybe have to deal with a remount.

Jummo’s the boot whisperer.
    Thanks Shredhead, hard not to be flattered.

Two things:

Us " boot whisperers" know there is nothing to be gained by circle jerking over someone's boot fit on the Interweb. Al Gore has failed us here.

Secondly, since somewhere around 80% of skiers are in boots at least one size too big, if someone who works with ski boots tells you that your boots are too big, there's a pretty good chance your boots are too big.

Since everyone here is totally connected and absolutely rips, maybe that number is more like 50%.

When you rent they automatically put you in boots a size too big, and the people still whine, even in a boot with all the fit characteristics of the box it came in.

The consumer if left to their own devices will almost always choose a boot too big because it's more "comfortable ".

When you mash all the numbers, there is usually a few mm's of compression between the dimensions of the foot and the stated dimensions of the boot. The amount of compression tolerated does seem to correlate pretty directly to the skill level of the participant.

Properly fit ski boots are an acquired taste. Kind of like beer or coffee. Once you decide you like the effect, you convince yourself that you like the flavor.

jummo

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    easiest way to figure out (roughly) what size boots you need is to trace your foot on a piece of paper and measure it in CM.

Put the paper against the wall. put your heel against the wall, on top of the paper. Mark where your toes are, and measure how far they are to the edge of the paper.

Round down for a performance alpine fit.
    Round up for a touring or comfort fit.

I am an 11.5 in most nike/adidas/salomon (running) shoes.
    One foot measures 27.8cm and the other is 28.0

I ski in alpine 27.5 (nordica) and tour in a 28.5 (dynafit)

Also... ski boot liner lastings are very frequently 100% wack. ie they are short stitched and needlessly narrow aka don't match the lasting of the shell, so it is possible to miss a shell that matches your foot shape well due to a sub-standard liner.
    This is truth. Every Fall i line the kids against the wall and trace a line at the end of the big toe. Measure in centimeters. Done. Their street shoes are irrelevant and usually too large.

Good point about some liners being too tight. I have gone in for a punch, and the fitter said nope, shell is fine, so he made little slices in the outside of the liner to let it stretch out more.
    . . .

There’s a kid on ski team, feet smaller than my youngest…skis boots 2 sizers bigger than her and complains that they are small. I took the liner out, showed mom the inch of space in front of toes and explained it was him sliding forward in the boots. No change. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    This is truth. Every Fall i line the kids against the wall and trace a line at the end of the big toe. Measure in centimeters. Done. Their street shoes are irrelevant and usually too large..
    have they started doing up the laces yet ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Size 12 feet, boots are 28/28.5. Every "bootfitter" I've ever seen tries to put me in 29's. 29's are flat out too big for my foot. Most bootfitters are, probably, seasonal employees that help with boots, and really don't know shit about anything.

If you have size 11 feet, I cannot imagine 29's are not too big.

Or ...... your size 12 street shoes are too big.

Isn't the point of this whole thread that we need to find talented boot fitters and let them see our feet and then recommend boots that are appropriate? Try on a couple of the recommendations, pick one and then let the fitter do their magic to customize?

I'm 39. I think I learned this lesson in my early 20s.

Is it really still a discussion??

Skis that are way too long and boots that are way too small. It's hard to figure what you folks are trying to over compensate for?

Bunch of masochists I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Isn't the point of this whole thread that we need to find talented boot fitters and let them see our feet and then recommend boots that are appropriate? Try on a couple of the recommendations, pick one and then let the fitter do their magic to customize?

I'm 39. I think I learned this lesson in my early 20s.

Is it really still a discussion??
    actually what happens in real life

buddy buys cool boots cheap/ on-line/ cuz cheap and cool,

fucks around trying to get them to work but they don't so he sells them off, does the exact same thing year after year

when you count up all the $$$ he spent on couriers / paying a boot fitter by the hr, he has spent net mo money than if he just paid list for a boot fitter to guaranty a fit with no drama/ no pain/ no extra boot fitting $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Good point about some liners being too tight. I have gone in for a punch, and the fitter said nope, shell is fine, so he made little slices in the outside of the liner to let it stretch out more.
    You can do it without slicing the liner.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    My feet measure out at just over a size 11 on a Brannock Device and ski 26.5 shells. Hardly ever unbuckle them on the lift unless it’s extremely cold (below 0F).

ETA: I'm in Lange RX130 LV shells, with a couple punches for some extra width at the ball of my foot, thanks to the craftsmanship of gregL.

I do wear 27/27.5 boots for touring, but the 26.5 Lange works great for my feet.

Attachment 394927

There’s no singular “correct” fit, it’s a matter of personal preference within a range.
    If I may chime in:
    My feet are quite similar in size to yours, accordingly to Very Feet, just a few mm longer, especially the left one 27,6cm and a couple mm slender.
    I use Salomon MTN Lab 27 as touring boot altough with a thicker Palau liner and a butterfly padding at the achilles tendon for better heel retain. It works quite well.
    I also use Lange XT 130 LV in 26,5 (quite the same as the RX) basically in original state which I can use the whole day, but the toes are a bit crushed vertically.
    Did you have the same issue and in case how did you solve it?
    Thanks in advance!

This has been bouncing around in my head the last few days.

To get ideal fit size down 3 shell sizes for starters. Maybe try 4. Order both to be on the safe side.
    Remove liners as their function will be replaced socks, preferably mid weight hikers as these will provide cushion between the shell and your foot.

/s

Sounds (horribly) risky (and fraught with pain): you go first.

Type III bootfitting right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just got fit for new boots yesterday. Almost always wear 11.5 shoes and was fit in 28.5 boots (from a very reputable shop), so obviously that’s the correct answer and everyone who says otherwise is wrong… except maybe Senior Researcher. Still need to check in with his mom

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    If I may chime in:
    My feet are quite similar in size to yours, accordingly to Very Feet, just a few mm longer, especially the left one 27,6cm and a couple mm slender.
    I use Salomon MTN Lab 27 as touring boot altough with a thicker Palau liner and a butterfly padding at the achilles tendon for better heel retain. It works quite well.
    I also use Lange XT 130 LV in 26,5 (quite the same as the RX) basically in original state which I can use the whole day, but the toes are a bit crushed vertically.
    Did you have the same issue and in case how did you solve it?
    Thanks in advance!

as im sure Glademaster has better shit to do then boot fit xt3s online, which I have as well, I would recommend a boot fitter to solve your issue. I was being crushed from above by the toe dam and a punch to widen the toe box fixed me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    as im sure Glademaster has better shit to do then boot fit xt3s online, which I have as well, I would recommend a boot fitter to solve your issue. I was being crushed from above by the toe dam and a punch to widen the toe box fixed me.
    It almost sounds like I was asking Your opinion, but thanks anyway.
    And by the way it's no XT3, it's an XT, white and without tech inserts.
    Basically a RX with an homeophatic walking mech.
    As far as it matters.

Another data point. Size 14 feet. With alittle boot stretching I got into a 23.5

Size 10 shoe and size 31 boots, but I tuck my dick into one and my balls into the other. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    Size 10 shoe and size 31 boots, but I tuck my dick into one and my balls into the other. YMMV.
    Slender dick and pancake balls. Senior Researcher’s mom does not abide